Jacksonville is expecting 10 Blackouts this season!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, the Bills have the 3rd highest season ticket output in team history.

And yet we're the ones more likely to move, eh?

This is because so many analysts have been hypnotized by the notion that Sun Belt cities will always grow, no matter what... an assumption that is in the midst of collapsing. I have family in Jax, nice people and a nice enough town, but it has consistently over-reached itself, with all the references to their enormous tracts of land (heheheh) and growth potential, without stopping to think that there are increasingly hard limits on growth—environmental, economic, political...

The original story: Jaguars ready for string of blackouts

The Jaguars play the first of 10 home games this year Saturday night — two in the preseason and eight in the regular season — and the team has already announced all 10 will be blacked out on TV because of a lack of ticket sales.

Wow. For them to be sure that they won't sell enough tickets to hit what I believe is the lowest blackout threshold in the league, I can just imagine how low their season base must be.

The original story: Jaguars ready for string of blackouts

Wow. For them to be sure that they won't sell enough tickets to hit what I believe is the lowest blackout threshold in the league, I can just imagine how low their season base must be.

Lori, I know it was mentioned briefly in the PFT post, but hasn't San Diego also consistently had issues with selling out their stadium? It seems like they've been talking about issues with blackouts for years in SD.

Lori, I know it was mentioned briefly in the PFT post, but hasn't San Diego also consistently had issues with selling out their stadium? It seems like they've been talking about issues with blackouts for years in SD.

My source (the506.com boards) says the Chargers' last four blackouts were in 2004, but I've heard those same stories. In fact, a previous version of their lease with the city (1999-2003 is the period cited) included a provision that San Diego had to buy any remaining tickets, thus guaranteeing sellouts. So after residents got used to not having to pay to watch the team, it makes sense that the box office got hammered in '04.

Also interesting to learn that one-third of NFL games were consistently blacked out even in the mid-90s.

My source (the506.com boards) says the Chargers' last four blackouts were in 2004, but I've heard those same stories. In fact, a previous version of their lease with the city (1999-2003 is the period cited) included a provision that San Diego had to buy any remaining tickets, thus guaranteeing sellouts. So after residents got used to not having to pay to watch the team, it makes sense that the box office got hammered in '04.

Also interesting to learn that one-third of NFL games were consistently blacked out even in the mid-90s.

That last comment is especially interesting to me, too, since it fits with my own (and I imagine also your own) childhood experiences. The lifting of total blackouts in 1973 did not lead to automatic broadcasts at all. I am under the impression that few Bills home games were broadcast (except as pirated versions by International cable) in the OJ years, though that was before I was completely aware of such things. I do know that no home Bills game was televised locally between 1975 and the Raiders game in September 1980, and as late as the Bills home opener in 1990 blackouts were the rule rather than the exception. I always chalked that up to the Bills being one of the less successful franchises (ahem) in most of those years, and certainly the relative size of Rich in those days was a problem. Nevertheless, I also get the impression that back then no one would even have thought of using blackouts as a measure of a team's success, since they were so common.

That last comment is especially interesting to me, too, since it fits with my own (and I imagine also your own) childhood experiences. The lifting of total blackouts in 1973 did not lead to automatic broadcasts at all. I am under the impression that few Bills home games were broadcast (except as pirated versions by International cable) in the OJ years, though that was before I was completely aware of such things. I do know that no home Bills game was televised locally between 1975 and the Raiders game in September 1980, and as late as the Bills home opener in 1990 blackouts were the rule rather than the exception. I always chalked that up to the Bills being one of the less successful franchises (ahem) in most of those years, and certainly the relative size of Rich in those days was a problem. Nevertheless, I also get the impression that back then no one would even have thought of using blackouts as a measure of a team's success, since they were so common.

Because we live so far away -- before the four-lane section of 219, Rich Stadium was easily a two-hour trip from here -- we didn't go to many games. And you're right, I have far more memories of listening to Van Miller than I do of watching those home games on TV.

Because we live so far away -- before the four-lane section of 219, Rich Stadium was easily a two-hour trip from here -- we didn't go to many games. And you're right, I have far more memories of listening to Van Miller than I do of watching those home games on TV.

I listen to 1050AM out of NYC every day, and I can tell you on their "NY Football Tonight" show they were talking about blackouts, and they couldn't understand how ANY NFL team blacks out. Thought in my head at the time: "Well, dumbasses, of course YOU can't imagine it...your teams have a 65000 seat stadium in a metro area of what, 10 million?"

:beer:

I listen to 1050AM out of NYC every day, and I can tell you on their "NY Football Tonight" show they were talking about blackouts, and they couldn't understand how ANY NFL team blacks out. Thought in my head at the time: "Well, dumbasses, of course YOU can't imagine it...your teams have a 65000 seat stadium in a metro area of what, 10 million?"

:beer:

18 million! Yeah, that's moronic.

But still, it's not like the Jags are missing the deadline and selling out by kickoff, or worried about a few late games during a slump. They're giving up, in August, on games in December. What's their season ticket base? THe players' wives?

This is because so many analysts have been hypnotized by the notion that Sun Belt cities will always grow, no matter what... an assumption that is in the midst of collapsing. I have family in Jax, nice people and a nice enough town, but it has consistently over-reached itself, with all the references to their enormous tracts of land (heheheh) and growth potential, without stopping to think that there are increasingly hard limits on growth—environmental, economic, political...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville

Jacksonville is already the larget city in Florida & the 13th largest in the US. There should be no excuses to fill that stadium.

Could you imagine what their attendence would be if they missed the playoffs for a decade? That team is a joke.

yeah they do have trouble. However apparently their stadium is a mess there, like a lot of seats are obstructed view. That's the excuse I've heard anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville

Jacksonville is already the larget city in Florida & the 13th largest in the US. There should be no excuses to fill that stadium.

Could you imagine what their attendence would be if they missed the playoffs for a decade? That team is a joke.

But if you include the greater metropolitan areas surrounding cities, Jacksonville (#40) is not much bigger than Buffalo (#47) and is actually much smaller when you combine Rochester (#51) and also parts of the Toronto/Golden Horseshoe area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Unit...atistical_Areas

Bottom line: it's a 6-team race (Bills, Jags, Raiders, Chargers, Vikings, Rams) to fill the 1-3 market voids that the NFL is interested in filling (L.A., a 2nd team in L.A., and Toronto). The wild cards for us Bills fans are Ralph's health and the economy's health.

But if you include the greater metropolitan areas surrounding cities, Jacksonville (#40) is not much bigger than Buffalo (#47) and is actually much smaller when you combine Rochester (#51) and also parts of the Toronto/Golden Horseshoe area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Unit...atistical_Areas

Bottom line: it's a 6-team race (Bills, Jags, Raiders, Chargers, Vikings, Rams) to fill the 1-3 market voids that the NFL is interested in filling (L.A., a 2nd team in L.A., and Toronto). The wild cards for us Bills fans are Ralph's health and the economy's health.

Good point on the metro area. Still, Jacksonville is a terrible fanbase for a team that has been pretty successful.

And the great thing about the Toronto experiment is that it is showing they aren't ready for a NFL team. Maybe it's just silly hope, but I have a hard thinking the Bills will move because of the history and fan support.

And the great thing about the Toronto experiment is that it is showing they aren't ready for a NFL team. Maybe it's just silly hope, but I have a hard thinking the Bills will move because of the history and fan support.

Didn't seem to matter when Cleveland moved.