Do you like an 18 game regular season?

Vetriano

Do you like an 18 game regular season?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like an 18 game regular season?

• Yes (the more the better)
    • Yes (but only if they eliminate some preseason)
    • No (16 is perfect)

I like 16. just enough. The last few years when we are finally elimated in the first week of December, only watch a couple of weeks to see whos gonna stay on the roster and then we are in playoff season. Could you imagine trying to sell out these additional games in Buff, or even better Detroit.

Thoughts??

I like 16. just enough. The last few years when we are finally elimated in the first week of December, only watch a couple of weeks to see whos gonna stay on the roster and then we are in playoff season. Could you imagine trying to sell out these additional games in Buff, or even better Detroit.

Thoughts??

How about 17 games?

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?...c=89537&hl=

Thoughts??

I agree with your argument about trying sell the extra games but trading two preseason games for regular season games should solve the issue. In fact, it would actually increase the fans' investment because then they are stuck paying full price to watch players practice one less time.

Guest dog14787

Thoughts??

2 preseason, 18 regular season would be great. Everyone is on an even playing field so everyone starts a little rusty.

Its a win, win situation, the fans get more meaningful games and the owners get another home game, whats not to like.

The one problem is does 2 preseason games give teams enough time to evaluate players properly.(possibly not)

2 preseason, 18 regular season would be great. Everyone is on an even playing field so everyone starts a little rusty.

Its a win, win situation, the fans get more meaningful games and the owners get another home game, whats not to like.

What about the players? What do they get?

The beat sh1t out of them a little more?

There are several things that have made the NFL the greatest sport to watch. Among those are the relatively short season and having most all the games on one day of the week. By only having 16 games, you maximize the importance of each game. In baseball, say you miss a few weeks in June - who cares. In football, if you miss a week or 2, you've missed a significant portion of the season.

Also, by having all the games on Sunday, you allow for football parties. As well as the ability for people to plan their week around this one glorious day when you can get all your football. It's simple, its easy, its fun.

All they're doing by adding more regular season games and adding more playing dates (Thurs. and Sat. games) is diluting the product, IMO. Yes, you see some increases in revenue. But, you see a decrease in the rabid nature of fans that dedicate themselves to the sport. I guess it comes down to what's more important for the league - more money or increased fandom? I'd say that spreading the draft out over 3 nights, playing games in London, playing games 4 days/week, moving the Pro Bowl, and now possibly extending the season is all about making money and caring less about fan appeal. IMO, Goodell is all that's wrong for the league.

Why not make the Superbowl a best 2 out of 3 series? Imagine all the money you could make on 3 games as opposed to one.

Guest dog14787
What about the players? What do they get?

The beat sh1t out of them a little more?

Good point, a raise in salary for the extra games.

Might be better than getting the sh1t beat out of them in a meaningless game.

Guest dog14787
There are several things that have made the NFL the greatest sport to watch. Among those are the relatively short season and having most all the games on one day of the week. By only having 16 games, you maximize the importance of each game. In baseball, say you miss a few weeks in June - who cares. In football, if you miss a week or 2, you've missed a significant portion of the season.

Also, by having all the games on Sunday, you allow for football parties. As well as the ability for people to plan their week around this one glorious day when you can get all your football. It's simple, its easy, its fun.

All they're doing by adding more regular season games and adding more playing dates (Thurs. and Sat. games) is diluting the product, IMO. Yes, you see some increases in revenue. But, you see a decrease in the rabid nature of fans that dedicate themselves to the sport. I guess it comes down to what's more important for the league - more money or increased fandom? I'd say that spreading the draft out over 3 nights, playing games in London, playing games 4 days/week, moving the Pro Bowl, and now possibly extending the season is all about making money and caring less about fan appeal. IMO, Goodell is all that's wrong for the league.

Why not make the Superbowl a best 2 out of 3 series? Imagine all the money you could make on 3 games as opposed to one.

I hardly think two more games waters down the regular season, sorry, with all due respect I'm not buying that argument.

Good point, a raise in salary for the extra games.

Might be better than getting the sh1t beat out of them in a meaningless game.

More games equals bigger player contracts equals significantly increased salary caps equals increased difficulty for small market teams to compete.

My question is what's the goal of the league? To make as much money as possible? Or to remain the most watched, most popular sport in the country? IMO, more games does little to make the sport more popular, its all about more money.

Guest dog14787
More games equals bigger player contracts equals significantly increased salary caps equals increased difficulty for small market teams to compete.

My question is what's the goal of the league? To make as much money as possible? Or to remain the most watched, most popular sport in the country? IMO, more games does little to make the sport more popular, its all about more money.

Sometimes the better teams start coming on later in the season, the two extra games could give a better representation of the leagues best. Extra games would only help the smaller markets not hurt them in my opinion.

I hardly think two more games waters down the regular season, sorry, with all due respect I'm not buying that argument.

Sure it does. The significance is surely debatable. But, 18 is greater than 16; therefore, you're diluting your product. I think the question becomes what's the tipping point. At what point are you decreasing the fan experience just for the sake of making more money. I'd argue we're getting dangerously close to that now.

Sometimes some of the better team starts coming on later in the season, the two extra games could give a better representation. Extra games would only help the smaller markets, not hurt them.

So where do these smaller market teams get the money for the increased salaries? You'll almost certainly have pay each player more. Plus, you'll have to increase the roster from 53 to 58(?) or 60(?) to account for injuries. That's significant money.

16 is plenty. For teams that are out of it in early December, adding 2 more games to the schedule would probably hurt those owners financially. Even fewer tickets would be sold, yet they'd still be paying for everyone working at the stadiums, etc.

I can see the argument similar to baseball's wild card - a handful of additional teams are still in the playoff hunt with those 2 extra games, but I just don't think it's worth it for the NFL.

So where do these smaller market teams get the money for the increased salaries? You'll almost certainly have pay each player more. Plus, you'll have to increase the roster from 53 to 58(?) or 60(?) to account for injuries. That's significant money.

From increased TV, advertising, and ticket revenues.

2 extra games -> larger TV contracts and more seats sold both of which increase the total amount of advertising during the season.

From increased TV, advertising, and ticket revenues.

2 extra games -> larger TV contracts and more seats sold both of which increase the total amount of advertising during the season.

If I'm an owner, I want to see some assurances that the increased TV contract would make up the difference. There's no way you can count on ticket sales. Imagine the Bills selling out 2 meaningless games in the dead of winter.

Guest dog14787
If I'm an owner, I want to see some assurances that the increased TV contract would make up the difference. There's no way you can count on ticket sales. Imagine the Bills selling out 2 meaningless games in the dead of winter.

I would prefer the regular season starting earlier, not running later.

Why do you assume the season still starts after Labor day and pushes farther into winter? Wouldn't it make more sense to move the start of the season up 2 weeks?

Also, I would expect that the owners would do their homework before making a change to the schedule. I'd be surprised if the increase in net revenues to the owners was entirely eaten up by a (potential) increase in the players %age of total revenues. But if that is the case, (player salary increase eats up all the additional revenues) it's pretty simple; the schedule won't increase beyond 16 games.

I would prefer the regular season starting earlier, not running later.

I'd completely agree! Is it just me or is the season starting extremely late this year?

Why do you assume the season still starts after Labor day and pushes farther into winter? Wouldn't it make more sense to move the start of the season up 2 weeks?

Also, I would expect that the owners would do their homework before making a change to the schedule. I'd be surprised if the increase in net revenues to the owners was entirely eaten up by a (potential) increase in the players %age of total revenues. But if that is the case, (player salary increase eats up all the additional revenues) it's pretty simple; the schedule won't increase beyond 16 games.

But, you know the players will be arguing for all that money. Again, I'd say the discussion is currently centered around what makes everyone the most money; when it should be centered around what gives us the best sport in the world.