Jairus Byrd's #1 priority

Billistic

According to Jairus:

Now, it's just getting on the field and getting the muscles stronger. ... I always try to get my abs good, because I need to build that back up. That's pretty much the No. 1 thing I couldn't do, is abs. And my legs still could be a lot stronger, so I still need to work on that in the weight room.

Did they send Mr. Byrd a playbook, or is he overly worried about his pic in a calendar?

Oh, Momma, is this really the end, or am I stuck inside of Mobile...

Did they send Mr. Byrd a playbook, or is he overly worried about his pic in a calendar?

For some reason I feel like he probably had some time on his hands recently to peruse a playbook, and now is the point where he can focus on getting in shape and applying his knowledge of the playbook.

For some reason I feel like he probably had some time on his hands recently to peruse a playbook, and now is the point where he can focus on getting in shape and applying his knowledge of the playbook.

We can only hope...

I hope Jimmy Hardly wasn't in his study group.

According to Jairus:

legs and abs, two major muscle groups that he probably wasnt able to work on with his hernia. however, what he HAS been able to work on is his studying.

he had an injury. it is basically healed. now he wants to get stronger in his core.

whats the problem?

According to Jairus:

what a horrible post/topic....ick

his body is his career and your obsession. why would an nfl caliber athlete want to be in peak physical condition? hmmmm

Byrdy missed the all OTAs due to college exams - Did he get his degree?

He missed all of training camp thus far because after the inner circle jerk signed him, he elected surgery. - Did the inner circle jerk know this ahead of time and OK it, or was it Crowell-esque?

So he is hundreds of hours behind everybody on the Bills defensive team, and, for that matter in the entire NFL...but his concern is getting his six pack ripped.

Even Pee Wee Fewell said,

Sometimes in a film session when you’re listening and listening it isn’t always good enough. You have to practice it and do it on the field and develop chemistry with the guys that you’re working with and do it on the field. That will be a project for us that we’ll just have to wait and see.

So mentally he’ll be spinning from the information. Mentally I don’t care how sharp a guy is it can’t replace the physical rep that you take in practice. The mental rep is excellent, I don’t discount it, but the physical rep is also important.

People complain about Aaron Maybin likely not being able to contribute this season, but J-byrd is in the exact same place. You guys are incredible lightweights.

:wallbash:

He missed all of training camp thus far because after the inner circle jerk signed him, he elected surgery. - Did the inner circle jerk know this ahead of time and OK it, or was it Crowell-esque?

So he is hundreds of hours behind everybody on the Bills defensive team, and, for that matter in the entire NFL...but his concern is getting his six pack ripped.

People complain about Aaron Maybin likely not being able to contribute this season, but J-byrd is in the exact same place. You guys are incredible lightweights.

So, we are criticizing players for wanting to get into shape after injuries now?

...You guys are incredible lightweights.

You're one to accuse others of being lightweights. Here's one of your most recent gems (from yesterday's thread about the Bills and the WCO):

Billistic Yesterday, 02:49 PM

The Bills essentially do try to run of version of the WCO, only poorly. Now that they have two WRs and maybe a TE (Nelson) along with three pass-catching RBs, it may take off. The WCO was specifically designed to be an antidote to the Tampa 2 defense (pressure the QB and play zone pass defense), which is now going obsolete except in Indy, Buff, Bears, but it still is an answer to not having time to throw, for whatever reason.

Yeah, those Tampa 2 D schemes were keeping Bill Walsh up late at night when he started devising the WCO. Now, while Walsh borrowed elements of other offenses he'd used over the years as a coach (Sid Gillman, Paul Brown), he IS generally regarded as the the father of the WCO. Nobody was running the Tampa 2 in the late 60s and early 70s. Nor was anyone running it when he perfected the WCO with the 49ers.

Now, it could be argued that, since Chuck Knoll and the Steelers introduced the cover-2 zone D as a pass defense scheme in the early to mid-seventies that everyone started to copy, Bill Walsh devised an offense specifically to beat THAT. But that doesn't hold much water since nobody was playing the Steelers' cover 2 when he first started implementing elements of the WCO with the Bengals in the late 60s MOSTLY as a way to compensate for their limited QB (Virgil Carter). Walsh also recognized the value in ball control that relied less on running and more on short passing. The rest is history.

But rocket surgeon trolls like you seldom let the facts get in the way of a good story.

GO BILLS!!!

A.

Yeah, those Tampa 2 D schemes were keeping Bill Walsh up late at night when he started devising the WCO. Now, while Walsh borrowed elements of other offenses he'd used over the years as a coach (Sid Gillman, Paul Brown), he IS generally regarded as the the father of the WCO. Nobody was running the Tampa 2 in the late 60s and early 70s. Nor was anyone running it when he perfected the WCO with the 49ers.

The term West Coast Offense originally referred to the style that Sid Gillman and Don Coryell started using as far back as the 1960s. The NFL teams using the system were the San Diego Chargers and the Oakland Raiders, and therefore the term West Coast was deemed appropriate. Since that time, that style of offensive attack has become known as the "Air Coryell" offense and the West Coast Offense now refers soley to Bill Walsh's principles and the style he implemented with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1980s. in: WCO

B.

Now, it could be argued that, since Chuck Knoll and the Steelers introduced the cover-2 zone D as a pass defense scheme in the early to mid-seventies that everyone started to copy, Bill Walsh devised an offense specifically to beat THAT. But that doesn't hold much water since nobody was playing the Steelers' cover 2 when he first started implementing elements of the WCO with the Bengals in the late 60s MOSTLY as a way to compensate for their limited QB (Virgil Carter). Walsh also recognized the value in ball control that relied less on running and more on short passing. The rest is history.

Tony Dungy has been quoted to say “My philosophy is really out of the 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers playbook,” said Dungy during media interviews while at Super Bowl XLI. “That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson — that is where it came from, I changed very little.”

So, contrary to your mystically messed up timelines, Walsh was tooling up the real WCO with the 49ers in the 1980s shortly after Dungy and Kiffin slightly modified Knoll and Carson's 1975 defense into what is presently the Tampa 2.[Just like I said], namely to pressure the QB so he has scant time and drop the CBs, safeties and at least one LB back into zone coverage.

The WCO The offense relies on a shorter passing game. The Quarterback can take shorter drops and throws shorter passes. There are also lots of roll out plays if the quarterback in a mobile one. With the shorter passes, the completion percentage goes up. Also it's harder to sack the quarterback when he takes short drops and releases the ball faster, especially important against the penetrating rush of the Tampa2 front four.

The short passing game can overcome the lack of a strong running game, as in the Bills. It replaces the running game in one sense. The traditional role of running, is to control the clock and wear down a defense, as further amplified by the no-huddle. There are also lots of pass plays for the running backs themselves. Earl Cooper, Roger Craig, Tom Rathmon, Ricky Waters and many other West Coast runners put up great receiving numbers. Craig even turned in the first 1,000 yard rushing and 1,000 yard receiving season, in the same year by a player. The Bills bring Jackson, Rhodes and Lynch to the passing game.

A.

The term West Coast Offense originally referred to the style that Sid Gillman and Don Coryell started using as far back as the 1960s. The NFL teams using the system were the San Diego Chargers and the Oakland Raiders, and therefore the term West Coast was deemed appropriate. Since that time, that style of offensive attack has become known as the "Air Coryell" offense and the West Coast Offense now refers soley to Bill Walsh's principles and the style he implemented with the San Francisco 49ers in the 1980s. in: WCO

B.

So, contrary to your mystically messed up timelines, Walsh was tooling up the real WCO with the 49ers in the 1980s shortly after Dungy and Kiffin slightly modified Knoll and Carson's 1975 defense into what is presently the Tampa 2.[Just like I said], namely to pressure the QB so he has scant time and drop the CBs, safeties and at least one LB back into zone coverage.

The WCO The offense relies on a shorter passing game. The Quarterback can take shorter drops and throws shorter passes. There are also lots of roll out plays if the quarterback in a mobile one. With the shorter passes, the completion percentage goes up. Also it's harder to sack the quarterback when he takes short drops and releases the ball faster, especially important against the penetrating rush of the Tampa2 front four.

The short passing game can overcome the lack of a strong running game, as in the Bills. It replaces the running game in one sense. The traditional role of running, is to control the clock and wear down a defense, as further amplified by the no-huddle. There are also lots of pass plays for the running backs themselves. Earl Cooper, Roger Craig, Tom Rathmon, Ricky Waters and many other West Coast runners put up great receiving numbers. Craig even turned in the first 1,000 yard rushing and 1,000 yard receiving season, in the same year by a player. The Bills bring Jackson, Rhodes and Lynch to the passing game.

Did I not mention the 60s? Did I not mention Sid Gillman? Walsh borrowed heavily from Gillman since he is part of the Gillman coaching tree via his work with Al Davis and the Raiders. Gillman and Coryell favored a more vertical passing game. The antithesis of the WCO. So while they implented these offenses in the 60s on the West Coast it has NO resemblance to the "real" WCO that Walsh is universally credited with inventing. You seem to think he did that in the 80s to counter the Tampa 2. Wrong. The first elements of Walsh's WCO appeared when he coached with Paul Brown and the expansion Bengals. He devised it to cover up for the physical shortcomings of Virgil Carter, his QB. He devised it also because he saw value in controlling the ball with short passes (a Carter strength). By the time Andersen and Co. arrived in Cinnci Walsh's WCO was pretty well on its way. Think of Andersen as Walsh's first Montana and Isaac Curtis as his first Rice.

I appreciate Dungy's reference to the cover 2 used in Pitt. Because that's always been my assertion as well. But it wasn't until Dungy more heavily relied on 4 man fronts and placed more deep 3rd responsibility on his MLBs as well as modifying the drops of his other LBs, that the Tampa 2 started to take shape in the 80s. By that time, Walsh's WCO had a 15 year head start. Which gets us to the crux of the debate: it is FAR FAR more factual to say the the Tampa 2 was devised as an ANTIDOTE to the WCO rather than the other way around. Hell, I'd wonder if the Steelers may have implemented the Cover 2 to slow down Andersen and the Bengals who were well established in Walsh's WCO principles. I'm not the one with the timeline problems, you are.

It's impossible to create something in response to something that doesn't exist yet.

GO BILLS!!!

According to Jairus:

For athlete's - the abs are the base for everything - very important...

Byrd has football in his blood, I'm guessing he is a student of the game and has been working on the playbook. I'm not sure why someone would bash a guy that wants to work on the muscle groups that control his quickness and speed....two attributes that would seem important for a defensive back. He is ahead of Maybin in that he has been with the team through training camp, in the meetings and watching practice, while Maybin is nowhere to be found.

legs and abs, two major muscle groups that he probably wasnt able to work on with his hernia. however, what he HAS been able to work on is his studying.

he had an injury. it is basically healed. now he wants to get stronger in his core.

whats the problem?

Exactly. I think the problem is frustrated fans staring down the barrel of a season of uncertainty. They are overloaded with anxiety. It is somehow calming to find a someone or something to rail against.

According to Jairus:

With a sports hernia injury, he was probably told to limit his movement in the abdominal area...hence why he couldn't work his abs while he was injured. Or we could believe, like you, that he's slacked off in some way/shape/form.