Need a book to read....

gmac17

Well, it took me 31 years but I've finished both the Curious George and Clifford the Big Red Dog series of books. Now I'm looking for something a little meatier.

I read a fair amount, but WSJ and business magazines are about to fry my brain. I'm looking for non-fiction. Right now I'm thinking something on Lewis and Clarke or Edison. There is also a new big out about American inventors or something that might fit the bill as well...

Well, it took me 31 years but I've finished both the Curious George and Clifford the Big Red Dog series of books. Now I'm looking for something a little meatier.

I read a fair amount, but WSJ and business magazines are about to fry my brain. I'm looking for non-fiction. Right now I'm thinking something on Lewis and Clarke or Edison.  There is also a new big out about American inventors or something that might fit the bill as well...

111142[/snapback]

Are you looking for mainly biographies?

I read a fair amount, but WSJ and business magazines are about to fry my brain. I'm looking for non-fiction. Right now I'm thinking something on Lewis and Clarke or Edison.  There is also a new big out about American inventors or something that might fit the bill as well...

111142[/snapback]

Slouching Towards Gommorrah, by Robert Bork.

Btw, what is a gypsy catcher?

i have been taking a while to get through it...but only because of a lack of free time.

Take a look at the book "Patriots" by A.J. Langguth.

It is available used in hardcover on Amazon for less than $10.

Amazon gives the Table of Contents and I think the first chapter....to give you a good idea of the writing style.

I'm thinking biographies mainly because I haven't really read any, and there are some incredible people / stories that I'd like to learn more about.

So yeah, rather than something political I'd rather read up on Lewis & Clarke, Lincoln etc.

i have been taking a while to get through it...but only because of a lack of free time.

Take a look at the book "Patriots" by A.J. Langguth.

It is available used in hardcover on Amazon for less than $10. 

Amazon gives the Table of Contents and I think the first chapter....to give you a good idea of the writing style.

111161[/snapback]

Well 90% of this board would say "the Bible"

I would say Angels and Demons or The Davinci Code by Dan Brown

I'm thinking biographies mainly because I haven't really read any, and there are some incredible people / stories that I'd like to learn more about.

So yeah, rather than something political I'd rather read up on Lewis & Clarke, Lincoln etc.

111172[/snapback]

If you want something on Lincoln, I highly recommend this book:

Lincoln Thingy

Another book (if you want to stay away from political stuff):

Sir Edmund Hillary Thingy

Btw, what is a gypsy catcher?

Gypsy catcher comes from my avatar who is Borat, the character from the HBO show "Ali G".

Long story short this guy pretends he is Borat, a Khazakstani TV reporter. He says stupid stuff and puts people in really uncomfortable situations. Funniest tv show ever.

anyway, in one episode he goes to talk to job recruiters, and one of them asks him what he did for a living in Khazakstan.

He tells them his jobs were "I make ice, I gypsy catcher.....and then he goes on to say that his specialty was "making animals liquid explosion to make baby animals"

hard to explain but funny as stevestojan.

Despite it not meeting your criteria, I'm going to throw out "Touched With Fire" by Eric Bergerud. Military history, very readable, discusses the nature of land combat in the South Pacific in WWII (i.e. terrain, weapons, tactics, men) in a very insightful way.

And despite VABeach's glib statement...I'd also recommend the Old Testament (KJV). Even as a work of literature, it's good reading (save the pages of "X begat Y"), even if the language is stilted.

111172[/snapback]

the book i mentioned above is a series of about (i don't have the book in front of me)...25 (10 page) biographies of the Patriots who lead the Revolotion. And the Biorgraphies only cover the period of the Revolution.

Including: John Adams, George Washington, Paul Revere, Patrick Henry, John Hancock, etc...etc..

111142[/snapback]

This is a great book: When Pride Still Mattered : A Life Of Vince Lombardi

by David Maraniss

Vince Lombardi

I agree. It was a great book. Highly recommended.

111240[/snapback]

By the way...while we're on the subject of books, have you seen John Keegan's "Intelligence and War" about the role of intelligence in military decision making? I haven't yet read it myself (I'm not a big fan of Keegan), but thought you might find it useful.

By the way...while we're on the subject of books, have you seen John Keegan's "Intelligence and War" about the role of intelligence in military decision making?  I haven't yet read it myself (I'm not a big fan of Keegan),  but thought you might find it useful.

111262[/snapback]

I think that it is one of my textbooks for an upcoming course. It looks familiar.

BTW, I start the next course December 6th. Intelligence and Weapons of Mass Destruction. I am looking forward to it.

Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West - Stephen Ambrose.

Loved it, very inspirational.

111277[/snapback]

I'm half way through it, great book. Ambrose was a terrific writter. Almost anything by him is an excellent read.

DC Tom,

Would it be worth it for anybody to read "Imperial Hubris" by Anonymous?

Does it matter if the reader is a "lefty" or a "righty"?

Here's the link at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/157...2492282-5101454

111343[/snapback]

I put it in the "must read" category, if only to gain a perspective.

But I'm not DC Tom.

DC Tom,

Would it be worth it for anybody to read "Imperial Hubris" by Anonymous?

Does it matter if the reader is a "lefty" or a "righty"?

Here's the link at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/157...2492282-5101454

111343[/snapback]

Don't know, I haven't read it. Best I can say about it is that I intend to read it...

...but I can speed read, so if it turns out to be drivel, I haven't wasted too much of my time. Your results may vary. :)

The Endurance : Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition

Awesome pictures, unbelievable courage.

111292[/snapback]

The Shackleton book is an incredible read- just amazing. There can't be many more unbelievable stories of survival. This famous quote sums him up, "For scientific leadership, give me Scott, for swift and efficient travel give me Amundsen. But when you are in a hopeless situation, when you are seeing no way out, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton. Incomparable in adversity, he was the miracle worker who would save your life against all the odds and long after your number was up. The greatest leader that ever came on God's earth, bar none."

There's a movie coming out next year about this. I'm sure it will be Hollywood-ed up, but the story is so unreal that I'm not sure Hollywood can do it justice.

I recommend:

A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson. It instills a sense of wonder about science that we should have all learned in school. I think every kid in high school should have to read this book to get a better feel for the fun and awe of science, instead of just pounding out dry calculations. Best book I've read in the last several years.

Of course, on the biographies, McCulloch is amazing. His Truman and the bio of me are fantastic. Ellis's Founding Brothers is a good short read about our Founding Fathers.

Thanks to KRC for the Lincoln recommendation. I've been considering that book for a while, and with your recommendation, I'm going to read it.