2006=60 Repubs in Senate?

MichFan

[C.M. Burns] Eggcellent...60 seats, the House, the Court, and the President.  Finally, the Republicans will finally rid themselves of the shameful shackles of checks-and-balances, equal protection, and separation of church and state, so that they may pursue an agenda of radical social conservatism....mwaaha mwaahahahaha. [/C. M. Burns]

111026[/snapback]

By the way, it's Montgomery C Burns :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be the ideal situation. Perhaps the lefties could come to their senses and abandon big-government entitlement mentalities for a more classical liberal approach---an anti-Federalist libertarian approach.

That's what liberalism's supposed to be, IMO.

Now an interesting question arises: What would happen if the unprecedented happened? What if the Republicans gained the filibuster-proof majoritey, controlled the house and the White house AND the courts?

How could anyone legitimately challenge their authority?

111195[/snapback]

They couldn't challenge their authority. What would happen is that the Republican Party will take things too far, and alienate the moderate voters. This will push them to find alternatives, which will chip away at their power.

They lost to an EXTREMELY beatable candidate in Bush. They have continued to lose seats in Congress. After this election, they still have not grasped why they lost. Instead of looking within themselve to find how they can better connect with the American people, they just blame it on people being too stupid to buy into their rhetoric. Until they start to grasp why they lost, they will continue to lose and as long as they just continue down the same path (or worse yet, become more bitter and hateful) they will lose more and more control. I am not seeing the necessary changes from within the party to say that they can turn the corner. They are continuing down the same destructive path.

111196[/snapback]

How much of the above do you blame on the radical leftist element within their ranks?

Imo, many "mainstream" Americans would like to vote for a dem, but find themselves unable to. I offer a look at the 04 primary contenders, and the fact that Hillary is the front runner to validate my point.

How much of the above do you blame on the radical leftist element within their ranks?

Imo, many "mainstream" Americans would like to vote for a dem, but find themselves unable to. I offer a look at the 04 primary contenders, and the fact that Hillary is the front runner to validate my point.

111205[/snapback]

I blame most of it on the radicals in the party, since they are the ones who are the most vocal. The moderates need to become more vocal, and show that they are the direction of the party, not the radicals. The same goes for the Republicans. They need to have the moderates become more vocal, or they will suffer the same fate as the Dems.

I blame most of it on the radicals in the party, since they are the ones who are the most vocal. The moderates need to become more vocal, and show that they are the direction of the party, not the radicals. The same goes for the Republicans. They need to have the moderates become more vocal, or they will suffer the same fate as the Dems.

111231[/snapback]

I'm hoping that DOESN'T happen so that my fellow Americans will wake up and vote Libertarian.

That would be the best possible outcome, IMO.

The end of big government.

I'm hoping that DOESN'T happen so that my fellow Americans will wake up and vote Libertarian.

That would be the best possible outcome, IMO.

The end of big government.

111243[/snapback]

Well, they need to find some better candidates, if they want to win. I am not happy with the PA Libertarian party because of Arthur Farnsworth. He is the Bucks County contact person, the treasurer of the PA Lib Party, and ran for Greenwood's seat in the 8th District. It seems like Mr. Farnsworth stopped paying his taxes in the mid to late 90's and the feds paid him a little visit. I am sorry, but any party that puts a guy like this in a position of power where he controls the party's financial dealings, is scary.

They also have Jay Russell, who was trying to run for multiple seats this past election. Kinda ruins any credibility you have, when you pull this kind of stuff.

I am sorry, but they need some work before I could support them.

our government and how it is run is based on the constitution people, not the holy word of God

111043[/snapback]

That is true...Where in our constitution is the right for everyone to have health care...Or the part about the government providing retirement for the elderly or Welfare?

IMO our founding fathers didn't want religion removed from society like many libs are trying to do.

We have to fight the good fight to keep this sort of Christian extremism from ruining our republic. I think we are just seeking a more moderate voice in power from which to be inspired by, and one that doesn't have huge character issues.

111050[/snapback]

Christian extremism? If that is so, this Republic would have disappered long before you and I walked this Earth.

Without that "evil influence" this nation could have be a very bad actor, to the detriment of the entire globe...

That is true...Where in our constitution is the right for everyone to have health care...Or the part about the government providing retirement for the elderly or Welfare?

IMO our founding fathers didn't want religion removed from society like many libs are trying to do.

111456[/snapback]

We don't want it removed from society at all.....just how it MAY impact decesions made in DC. I love my church...love being involved...member of Ancient Order of Hibernians...Irish Catholic based organization....we need religion in our society..just not in legislative, judicial or executive branches

We don't want it removed from society at all.....just how it MAY impact decesions made in DC.  I love my church...love being involved...member of Ancient Order of Hibernians...Irish Catholic based organization....we need religion in our society..just not in legislative, judicial or executive branches

111528[/snapback]

Time to scrap all those laws about murder. 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' is kinda religious and has no place in legislative, judicial, or executive branches...

:)

Time to scrap all those laws about murder. 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' is kinda religious and has no place in legislative, judicial, or executive branches...

111601[/snapback]

Are government should always work to benefit all Americans.......when we start talking about faith based initiatives..well i think that might exclude some americans. I think you are turning what I'm saying around

111601[/snapback]

It would suck to be the people executed via captial punishment, but hey, what are you going to do?

You also would need to get rid of "Thou shall not steal." By scrapping just these two, you will clear up a lot of jail space.

I guess we would have to look at the 9th Commandment as well "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor." We can get rid of those pesky perjury laws.

It would suck to be the people executed via captial punishment, but hey, what are you going to do?

You also would need to get rid of "Thou shall not steal." By scrapping just these two, you will clear up a lot of jail space.

I guess we would have to look at the 9th Commandment as well "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor." We can get rid of those pesky perjury laws.

111619[/snapback]

Lets put capital punishment on primetime TV....not lethal injections or electric schair....but boiling oil...crucifixtions....they could have a pre-execution show

Lets put capital punishment on primetime TV....not lethal injections or electric schair....but boiling oil...crucifixtions....they could have a pre-execution show

111633[/snapback]

Sounds like something Fox would do. Hey, it is sweeps month, so it could be perfect.

Are government should always work to benefit all Americans.......when we start talking about faith based initiatives..well i think that might exclude some americans.  I think you are turning what I'm saying around

111612[/snapback]

Unlike current programs, like Affirmative Action, which only excludes white Americans.

111633[/snapback]

Works for me. Make it a pay per view event and use the money for college scholarships for crime victims' children. I'd cough up $50 for a good cause and a good night of TV.

Justice rules.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Christian extremism? If that is so, this Republic would have disappered long before you and I walked this Earth.

Without that "evil influence" this nation could have be a very bad actor, to the detriment of the entire globe...

111521[/snapback]

NO, it would NOT HAVE. The Puritans weakened because it was in their economic interest to be flexible, and they lost their iron grip on the people (John Winthrop Jr.). The Catholic Church weakened because it had abused the people for so long, that a splıt (Protestantism) effectively reduced it. The Mormons were chased out of THREE states and into Utah because everyone was tired of the extremist views. This extremist approach to church and government is bound to fail, for people want reason AND security.

We have to fight the good fight to keep this sort of Christian extremism from ruining our republic. I think we are just seeking a more moderate voice in power from which to be inspired by, and one that doesn't have huge character issues.

111050[/snapback]

There is no such thing as christian extremism. Have you ever read a single post from a righty on this board even suggesting that maybe, just maybe there really is a point where there is too much religion in politics? Have they ever suggested that there is a point where even they would draw a line separating church and state? To them, every complaint the left has on this issue is complete baloney, they, or at least the posters on this board, have never even acknowledged the slightest possibility that the influence of the christian right might be even the tiniest bit of a threat to civil liberty. They are 100% right and democrats are 100% wrong on this issue 100% of the time. Yet it is the democrats who are arrogant.

You see, they are the "Real" America and I know that because they say they are. They are the "Heart" of America and I know that because they say they are.