2006=60 Repubs in Senate?

MichFan

Here we are one week removed from the election day, and the assault by libs on flyover country and those with religion has all but assured that the Repubs will continue to increase power if they move forward with a socially conservative agenda over the next 2 years. In 2006 there are 15 Repubs and 18 Dems up for re-election in the Senate. 20 out of 33 Repub wins will not be unachievable, which would give the Repubs a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

What was potentially a once-in-a-generation turnout for Republicans will surely become a steadfast, reliable base of voters as long as the assault on their values continues. The Dems should have rebounded by now by making Evan Bayh and Joe Lieberman highly visible on talking head shows. Instead I see the uber-liberal media elites pontificating about the American Christian jihad that has returned Bush to power and the bigotry of the 70%+ who oppose gay marriage. The scary thing for Dems is that an economic recovery by 2006 minimizes the will of their base to vote in a midterm, while the Repub base already can't wait for the midterms to finish the revolution against the liberal counterculture.

Here we are one week removed from the election day, and the assault by libs on flyover country and those with religion has all but assured that the Repubs will continue to increase power if they move forward with a socially conservative agenda over the next 2 years.  In 2006 there are 15 Repubs and 18 Dems up for re-election in the Senate.  20 out of 33 Repub wins will not be unachievable, which would give the Repubs a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

What was potentially a once-in-a-generation turnout for Republicans will surely become a steadfast, reliable base of voters as long as the assault on their values continues.  The Dems should have rebounded by now by making Evan Bayh and Joe Lieberman highly visible on talking head shows.  Instead I see the uber-liberal media elites pontificating about the American Christian jihad that has returned Bush to power and the bigotry of the 70%+ who oppose gay marriage.  The scary thing for Dems is that an economic recovery by 2006 minimizes the will of their base to vote in a midterm, while the Repub base already can't wait for the midterms to finish the revolution against the liberal counterculture.

110790[/snapback]

blah, blah blah ....god it gets boring......Christian Jihad.....very funny.....most jihads are not based in dollars but more in faith, beliefs

Here we are one week removed from the election day, and the assault by libs on flyover country and those with religion has all but assured that the Repubs will continue to increase power if they move forward with a socially conservative agenda over the next 2 years.  In 2006 there are 15 Repubs and 18 Dems up for re-election in the Senate.  20 out of 33 Repub wins will not be unachievable, which would give the Repubs a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

What was potentially a once-in-a-generation turnout for Republicans will surely become a steadfast, reliable base of voters as long as the assault on their values continues.  The Dems should have rebounded by now by making Evan Bayh and Joe Lieberman highly visible on talking head shows.  Instead I see the uber-liberal media elites pontificating about the American Christian jihad that has returned Bush to power and the bigotry of the 70%+ who oppose gay marriage.  The scary thing for Dems is that an economic recovery by 2006 minimizes the will of their base to vote in a midterm, while the Repub base already can't wait for the midterms to finish the revolution against the liberal counterculture.

110790[/snapback]

I agree wholeheartedly. 2006 is the death knell of the liberal Democratic party. They will be forced to the right, kicking and screaming. An even better thing would be if Dean becomes the DNC chairman. Watch their hopes go swirling donw the hopper if THAT happens!!

I wouldn't get to ahead of yourself. Lincoln Chafee has already made rumblings about switching parties if Bush and the other senators are 'too conservative'. Olympia Snowe and a couple of the other Republican loonies might join him. Just because they have an 'R' next to their name might not mean a whole lot in trying to get the 60 seat supermajority.

I wouldn't get to ahead of yourself. Lincoln Chafee has already made rumblings about switching parties if Bush and the other senators are 'too conservative'. Olympia Snowe and a couple of the other Republican loonies might join him. Just because they have an 'R' next to their name might not mean a whole lot in trying to get the 60 seat supermajority.

110998[/snapback]

I agree, lincoln chafee is a democrat in republican's clothing.

However....if more southern democratic senate seats are up for grabs in 06, they could easily switch over to the Republican side of the aisle.

blah, blah blah ....god it gets boring......Christian Jihad.....very funny.....most jihads are not based in dollars but more in faith, beliefs

Those words are taken straight from the pens of liberal writers in the MSM. I'm not making it up. I agree that the liberal MSM has gone from laughing-my-arse-off funny to just plain boring in their (now) tired and repetitive attacks on anyone who didn't buy into their brainwashing and voted for Bush.

Says a lot about the state of the Dems that they have higher hopes of getting some Repubs to bail from the party than actually winning seats in an election.

which would give the Repubs a fillibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

110790[/snapback]

This is the kind of stuff that would make for a real Democrat Horror Movie.

Oddly enough....as a Right Wing Christian Conservative.....I am not altogether sure that a fillibuster proof majority would be the best thing.

"...absolute power corrupts absolutley"

[C.M. Burns] Eggcellent...60 seats, the House, the Court, and the President. Finally, the Republicans will finally rid themselves of the shameful shackles of checks-and-balances, equal protection, and separation of church and state, so that they may pursue an agenda of radical social conservatism....mwaaha mwaahahahaha. [/C. M. Burns]

I am not altogether sure that a fillibuster proof majority would be the best thing. 

"...absolute power corrupts absolutley"

111019[/snapback]

You are correct. Let's hope that the Dems can get their stevestojan together, and prevent this from happening. Of course, from what I have seen since the election, they still have not caught on as to why they lost and have been losing.

I do not have a lot of hope that they can change things around enough before mid-term elections.

Those words are taken straight from the pens of liberal writers in the MSM.  I'm not making it up.  I agree that the liberal MSM has gone from laughing-my-arse-off funny to just plain boring in their (now) tired and repetitive attacks on anyone who didn't buy into their brainwashing and voted for Bush.

111006[/snapback]

I think your reference to Christian jihad should be more like the Christian purchasing of our government...undue influence is more like it....our government and how it is run is based on the constitution people, not the holy word of God

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I think your reference to Christian jihad should be more like the Christian purchasing of our government...undue influence is more like it....our government and how it is run is based on the constitution people, not the holy word of God

111043[/snapback]

We have to fight the good fight to keep this sort of Christian extremism from ruining our republic. I think we are just seeking a more moderate voice in power from which to be inspired by, and one that doesn't have huge character issues.

I don't think a 60 seat majority is a good thing for EITHER party. Even though I don't find much common ground with the Dems these days, I don't trust the Republicans with that level of power. The GOP needs to show a lot more leadership in terms of fiscal restraint before I want that to happen.

As others have stated, there are moderates in the Senate that feel the same way and would not be afraid to break from the party (in votes if not in outright change of party designation) to keep it from happening.

You are correct. Let's hope that the Dems can get their stevestojan together, and prevent this from happening. Of course, from what I have seen since the election, they still have not caught on as to why they lost and have been losing.

I do not have a lot of hope that they can change things around enough before mid-term elections.

111030[/snapback]

I agree. I am very concerned about what such a huge republican majority might do to what is left of the labor movement.

The Dems are just so controlled by leftist loonies that they appear to be destined to lose, especially in 08.

I cannot link it, but the NY Post says that Kerry wants to run again. He can join Hillary, Dean, Sharpton, etc. and assure another Republican victory.

I know that you and others are unhappy with the 2 party system, but if the Dems continue to let left wing space cadets dominate their party, they will fade into virtual oblivion and we wont even have 2 viable parties.

I agree. I am very concerned about what such a huge republican majority might do to what is left of the labor movement.

The Dems are just so controlled by leftist loonies that they appear to be destined to lose, especially in 08.

I cannot link it, but the NY Post says that Kerry wants to run again. He can join Hillary, Dean, Sharpton, etc. and assure another Republican victory.

I know that you and others are unhappy with the 2 party system, but if the Dems continue to let left wing space cadets dominate their party, they will fade into virtual oblivion and we wont even have 2 viable parties.

111150[/snapback]

I don't believe the Democrats are dead at all....75,000 votes in Ohio and we'd all be singing a very different tune.

But if that were the case, if the Democratic base were to eroded to a degree that they could not compete in Presidental elections or keep a balance in Congress, that would embolden the Republicans to push towards a much more conservative social agenda. This would eventually create a widening dispute with the social moderates in the Republicans party and eventually lead to a split. Maybe we'd could get a third party that way, or at least force the Democrats back to the middle where they would again be competitive.

111150[/snapback]

Just my prediction, but what I see happening is the Republicans getting their near or full fillibuster-proof senate by mid-terms or 2008. As a result, you will see even more staunch right legislation being pushed through. Bad.

The Dems will practically implode, and a third party will become more prominent as a result. The Dems are losing control, and until they get their stevestojan together, they will continue their downward spiral. Bad.

The Republicans will screw up, and push stuff too far to the right. This will shift the voters away from the Republican Party, but since the Dems still have not caught on, those voters will be looking at the alternatives outside of the "big two."

It will take a little while, but things will start to level out. I hope by then we will have more than two parties with major support.

But if that were the case, if the Democratic base were to eroded to a degree that they could not compete in Presidental elections or keep a balance in Congress, that would embolden the Republicans to push towards a much more conservative social agenda.  This would eventually create a widening dispute with the social moderates in the Republicans party and eventually lead to a split.  Maybe we'd could get a third party that way, or at least force the Democrats back to the middle where they would again be competitive.

111169[/snapback]

Sounds like we are basically saying the same thing.

Just my prediction, but what I see happening is the Republicans getting their near or full fillibuster-proof senate by mid-terms or 2008. As a result, you will see even more staunch right legislation being pushed through. Bad.

The Dems will practically implode, and a third party will become more prominent as a result. The Dems are losing control, and until they get their stevestojan together, they will continue their downward spiral. Bad.

The Republicans will screw up, and push stuff too far to the right. This will shift the voters away from the Republican Party, but since the Dems still have not caught on, those voters will be looking at the alternatives outside of the "big two."

It will take a little while, but things will start to level out. I hope by then we will have more than two parties with major support.

111174[/snapback]

KRC, will you please be more descriptive when you say that the dems are "losing control?"

Thanks.

111174[/snapback]

This would be the ideal situation. Perhaps the lefties could come to their senses and abandon big-government entitlement mentalities for a more classical liberal approach---an anti-Federalist libertarian approach.

That's what liberalism's supposed to be, IMO.

Now an interesting question arises: What would happen if the unprecedented happened? What if the Republicans gained the filibuster-proof majoritey, controlled the house and the White house AND the courts?

How could anyone legitimately challenge their authority?

KRC, will you please be more descriptive when you say that the dems are "losing control?"

Thanks.

111190[/snapback]

They lost to an EXTREMELY beatable candidate in Bush. They have continued to lose seats in Congress. After this election, they still have not grasped why they lost. Instead of looking within themselve to find how they can better connect with the American people, they just blame it on people being too stupid to buy into their rhetoric. Until they start to grasp why they lost, they will continue to lose and as long as they just continue down the same path (or worse yet, become more bitter and hateful) they will lose more and more control. I am not seeing the necessary changes from within the party to say that they can turn the corner. They are continuing down the same destructive path.

[C.M. Burns] Eggcellent...60 seats, the House, the Court, and the President.  Finally, the Republicans will finally rid themselves of the shameful shackles of checks-and-balances, equal protection, and separation of church and state, so that they may pursue an agenda of radical social conservatism....mwaaha mwaahahahaha. [/C. M. Burns]

111026[/snapback]

By the way, it's Montgomery C Burns :)

This would be the ideal situation. Perhaps the lefties could come to their senses and abandon big-government entitlement mentalities for a more classical liberal approach---an anti-Federalist libertarian approach.

That's what liberalism's supposed to be, IMO.

Now an interesting question arises: What would happen if the unprecedented happened? What if the Republicans gained the filibuster-proof majoritey, controlled the house and the White house AND the courts?

How could anyone legitimately challenge their authority?

111195[/snapback]

They couldn't challenge their authority. What would happen is that the Republican Party will take things too far, and alienate the moderate voters. This will push them to find alternatives, which will chip away at their power.

They lost to an EXTREMELY beatable candidate in Bush. They have continued to lose seats in Congress. After this election, they still have not grasped why they lost. Instead of looking within themselve to find how they can better connect with the American people, they just blame it on people being too stupid to buy into their rhetoric. Until they start to grasp why they lost, they will continue to lose and as long as they just continue down the same path (or worse yet, become more bitter and hateful) they will lose more and more control. I am not seeing the necessary changes from within the party to say that they can turn the corner. They are continuing down the same destructive path.

111196[/snapback]

How much of the above do you blame on the radical leftist element within their ranks?

Imo, many "mainstream" Americans would like to vote for a dem, but find themselves unable to. I offer a look at the 04 primary contenders, and the fact that Hillary is the front runner to validate my point.

How much of the above do you blame on the radical leftist element within their ranks?

Imo, many "mainstream" Americans would like to vote for a dem, but find themselves unable to. I offer a look at the 04 primary contenders, and the fact that Hillary is the front runner to validate my point.

111205[/snapback]

I blame most of it on the radicals in the party, since they are the ones who are the most vocal. The moderates need to become more vocal, and show that they are the direction of the party, not the radicals. The same goes for the Republicans. They need to have the moderates become more vocal, or they will suffer the same fate as the Dems.

I blame most of it on the radicals in the party, since they are the ones who are the most vocal. The moderates need to become more vocal, and show that they are the direction of the party, not the radicals. The same goes for the Republicans. They need to have the moderates become more vocal, or they will suffer the same fate as the Dems.

111231[/snapback]

I'm hoping that DOESN'T happen so that my fellow Americans will wake up and vote Libertarian.

That would be the best possible outcome, IMO.

The end of big government.

I'm hoping that DOESN'T happen so that my fellow Americans will wake up and vote Libertarian.

That would be the best possible outcome, IMO.

The end of big government.

111243[/snapback]

Well, they need to find some better candidates, if they want to win. I am not happy with the PA Libertarian party because of Arthur Farnsworth. He is the Bucks County contact person, the treasurer of the PA Lib Party, and ran for Greenwood's seat in the 8th District. It seems like Mr. Farnsworth stopped paying his taxes in the mid to late 90's and the feds paid him a little visit. I am sorry, but any party that puts a guy like this in a position of power where he controls the party's financial dealings, is scary.

They also have Jay Russell, who was trying to run for multiple seats this past election. Kinda ruins any credibility you have, when you pull this kind of stuff.

I am sorry, but they need some work before I could support them.

our government and how it is run is based on the constitution people, not the holy word of God

111043[/snapback]

That is true...Where in our constitution is the right for everyone to have health care...Or the part about the government providing retirement for the elderly or Welfare?

IMO our founding fathers didn't want religion removed from society like many libs are trying to do.

We have to fight the good fight to keep this sort of Christian extremism from ruining our republic. I think we are just seeking a more moderate voice in power from which to be inspired by, and one that doesn't have huge character issues.

111050[/snapback]

Christian extremism? If that is so, this Republic would have disappered long before you and I walked this Earth.

Without that "evil influence" this nation could have be a very bad actor, to the detriment of the entire globe...

That is true...Where in our constitution is the right for everyone to have health care...Or the part about the government providing retirement for the elderly or Welfare?

IMO our founding fathers didn't want religion removed from society like many libs are trying to do.

111456[/snapback]

We don't want it removed from society at all.....just how it MAY impact decesions made in DC. I love my church...love being involved...member of Ancient Order of Hibernians...Irish Catholic based organization....we need religion in our society..just not in legislative, judicial or executive branches

We don't want it removed from society at all.....just how it MAY impact decesions made in DC.  I love my church...love being involved...member of Ancient Order of Hibernians...Irish Catholic based organization....we need religion in our society..just not in legislative, judicial or executive branches

111528[/snapback]

Time to scrap all those laws about murder. 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' is kinda religious and has no place in legislative, judicial, or executive branches...

:)

Time to scrap all those laws about murder. 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' is kinda religious and has no place in legislative, judicial, or executive branches...

111601[/snapback]

Are government should always work to benefit all Americans.......when we start talking about faith based initiatives..well i think that might exclude some americans. I think you are turning what I'm saying around

111601[/snapback]

It would suck to be the people executed via captial punishment, but hey, what are you going to do?

You also would need to get rid of "Thou shall not steal." By scrapping just these two, you will clear up a lot of jail space.

I guess we would have to look at the 9th Commandment as well "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor." We can get rid of those pesky perjury laws.

It would suck to be the people executed via captial punishment, but hey, what are you going to do?

You also would need to get rid of "Thou shall not steal." By scrapping just these two, you will clear up a lot of jail space.

I guess we would have to look at the 9th Commandment as well "Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor." We can get rid of those pesky perjury laws.

111619[/snapback]

Lets put capital punishment on primetime TV....not lethal injections or electric schair....but boiling oil...crucifixtions....they could have a pre-execution show

Lets put capital punishment on primetime TV....not lethal injections or electric schair....but boiling oil...crucifixtions....they could have a pre-execution show

111633[/snapback]

Sounds like something Fox would do. Hey, it is sweeps month, so it could be perfect.

Are government should always work to benefit all Americans.......when we start talking about faith based initiatives..well i think that might exclude some americans.  I think you are turning what I'm saying around

111612[/snapback]

Unlike current programs, like Affirmative Action, which only excludes white Americans.

111633[/snapback]

Works for me. Make it a pay per view event and use the money for college scholarships for crime victims' children. I'd cough up $50 for a good cause and a good night of TV.

Justice rules.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Christian extremism? If that is so, this Republic would have disappered long before you and I walked this Earth.

Without that "evil influence" this nation could have be a very bad actor, to the detriment of the entire globe...

111521[/snapback]

NO, it would NOT HAVE. The Puritans weakened because it was in their economic interest to be flexible, and they lost their iron grip on the people (John Winthrop Jr.). The Catholic Church weakened because it had abused the people for so long, that a splıt (Protestantism) effectively reduced it. The Mormons were chased out of THREE states and into Utah because everyone was tired of the extremist views. This extremist approach to church and government is bound to fail, for people want reason AND security.

111050[/snapback]

There is no such thing as christian extremism. Have you ever read a single post from a righty on this board even suggesting that maybe, just maybe there really is a point where there is too much religion in politics? Have they ever suggested that there is a point where even they would draw a line separating church and state? To them, every complaint the left has on this issue is complete baloney, they, or at least the posters on this board, have never even acknowledged the slightest possibility that the influence of the christian right might be even the tiniest bit of a threat to civil liberty. They are 100% right and democrats are 100% wrong on this issue 100% of the time. Yet it is the democrats who are arrogant.

You see, they are the "Real" America and I know that because they say they are. They are the "Heart" of America and I know that because they say they are.