The Bills have been actively "sniffing around for quarterbacks

BILLS #1

I would like to dispel this rumor. I do not believe that Dick Jauron is on any kind of hot seat. I would also add that I think Dick feels no more pressure to produce this season than he has any other season for the Bills. The corpse is coaching in the first season of a 3 year extension. I say anything better than 5-11 and dead Dick Jauron is manning the sidelines again in 2010. Do you really think that RW will eat $4mil + of DJ's contract and then go out and hire a real coach? :w00t: No way Jose. Much easier to blame the young O-line for the season's failure, bring in a veteran FA, sell the public on the latest draft class, and the beat goes on.

Did you ever believe Ralph would sign Terrell Owens for 6.5 million?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought Hamdan looked pretty good.

Yes - but against what Collinsworth essentially observed, a TEN backfield of rookies etc. running around with no idea where to be or how to get together and close on a play.

Same with Omon's running - the preseason is peppered with young rbs that look really spiffy against the oppositions C and D teams, but seldom make the final cut, or if they do, are planted on the PS.

I'm glad he recognizes he made a horrid decision on that throw. He sent it right into the teeth of the coverage and had Evans been fool enough to go get it in a preseason game, he'd have been wrecked by that safety. All this talk about him getting bumped into or pressure making the throw sail ignores the most salient point; it was a flat-out awful read.

I understand that he wanted to get Evans involved to keep him happy on a drive where TO was getting multiple primary looks, but putting the ball in places that will get your receivers hurt will not involve him and it certainly won't make him happy.

I'm going to disagree. Trent's natural instinct is to check down. He has to make the occasional bold decision. Plenty of big plays are made into double coverage. A good QB has to recognize when he has a good shot to make the play, and take that chance on occasion. Trent basically NEVER takes that chance. A good throw would have completed that pass, IMO. There was an opening, and a top QB can hit that opening.

Now, if Trent was a guy who regularly throws into coverage, I'd agree with you. But he isn't. He is ultra cautious. I'm afraid that one bad experience will work against his opening up, a bit.

[/i]

Forget Fitzgerald and Vick. When it starts to count this team's back-up should be Hamdan.

I have to agree with that. Hamdan never looks terrible, in a game, to me. Nothing special, but very serviceable.

Guest dog14787
[/i]

He checks down too often, IMO. I think he needs to learn to adjust his throw, know when he has limited follow through space, and take the shot, anyway. Trust the receiver to make the play. I'll sacrifice an occasional INT for more downfield production from Trent.

I'm glad he recognizes he made a horrid decision on that throw. He sent it right into the teeth of the coverage and had Evans been fool enough to go get it in a preseason game, he'd have been wrecked by that safety. All this talk about him getting bumped into or pressure making the throw sail ignores the most salient point; it was a flat-out awful read.

I understand that he wanted to get Evans involved to keep him happy on a drive where TO was getting multiple primary looks, but putting the ball in places that will get your receivers hurt will not involve him and it certainly won't make him happy.

Forget Fitzgerald and Vick. When it starts to count this team's back-up should be Hamdan.

I agree, a bad read that could have gotten Lee injured and it probably all started with the play coming in late. For the no huddle to work Turk Shonert has to do better with the play calling in my opinion. TE is a still a young QB and needs a moment to digest the play.

Believe me, I would love to see that.

I don't necessarily think Ralph is going to do it, or anything like it, but if this TO experiment works out well I could easily imagine him doing something nuts like that next year and spending money on something or someone you normally wouldn't imagine he would.

I'm not quite ready to shove Fitz out the door just yet. I hope Buffalo left Matt Baker in Ohio though.

Here's a list of what is out there in regards to QBs according to NFL.com...the pickin's is slim here jimbobs:

Bollinger, Brooks (UFL)

Frerotte, Gus

Gray, Quinn (UFL)

Griese, Brian

Henson, Drew

Johnson, Brad

Losman, J.P. (UFL)

Martin, Jamie

Nall, Craig

Tuiasosopo, Marques

Vick, Michael

Wright, Anthony

Then of course there are always undrafted FA’s like:

Jason Boltus (CFL)

Nathan Brown

Chase Clement (Retired from CFL)

Cullen Harper

Graham Harrell (CFL)

Chase Holbrook

David Johnson

Brian Johnson (UFL)

Willie Tuitama

Drew Willy

I don't see anyone on this list that is going to come in and play better than Fitz save maybe Griese. However, if Buffalo was going to keep a 4th QB around to develop, get rid of Baker and pick someone else up, Willy, Harrell, or Holbrook would be my picks here. Anyone know of any other FA's that are left off this list that could still play?

I think Anthony Wright would be very good backup to have on this team. Veteran who has played on some good teams. He's the cream of this rather meager crop. I'd take him all day long over Greise. Also Gus looked very good for Minnesota last year. If Fitz doesn't work out he might be a good #2. Again, I'd take him all day long over Greise.

The talk of Fitz having 2 drives inside the 20 is a little misleading. We took over on like the 35 after the Leodis pick. However it did look to me like the Reed ball in the EZ was catchable. Would have been a tough catch, but doable. Quinn Early would have gotten it.

As far as TE doing bad because of the pick, every Titan QB that got in the game threw one too. Not an excuse, but still.

I don't necessarily think Ralph is going to do it, or anything like it, but if this TO experiment works out well I could easily imagine him doing something nuts like that next year and spending money on something or someone you normally wouldn't imagine he would.

I don't see it happening.

But that doesn't mean I can't hope for it.

The problem there is, Ralph will know he has to pay a guy like Cower more than another team. That isn't something he likes to do. He got TO for a decent price. Certainly didn't pay a premium to get him to come to Buffalo. It will likely be different for Cower.

But still, I like your thinking.

This story pretty much smells like a piece of crap to me. It's the type of journalism I hate. Since according to the writer Buffalo is "actively sniffing around" QB's. Whom are they sniffing? Name names!!! Or at least say they have made inquiries about an unnamed QB. That article seems like a shot in the dark by the writer.

Do they have a sign out that says "QB wanted" somewhere? Or because the writer perceives the Bills QB's didn't look good to him the other night , he assumes we're looking for someone? Even if we sign someone tomorrow his post lacks facts.

And yes, if Fitzpatrick can't backup Edwards I will/do blame the front office and will want John Guy's head on a plate. If Fitz's "noodle arm" is an issue, there's several years of game film and scouting on the guy that would have told them that BEFORE they signed him!!!

This story pretty much smells like a piece of crap to me. It's the type of journalism I hate. Since according to the writer Buffalo is "actively sniffing around" QB's. Whom are they sniffing? Name names!!! Or at least say they have made inquiries about an unnamed QB. That article seems like a shot in the dark by the writer.

Do they have a sign out that says "QB wanted" somewhere? Or because the writer perceives the Bills QB's didn't look good to him the other night , he assumes we're looking for someone? Even if we sign someone tomorrow his post lacks facts.

And yes, if Fitzpatrick can't backup Edwards I will/do blame the front office and will want John Guy's head on a plate. If Fitz's "noodle arm" is an issue, there's several years of game film and scouting on the guy that would have told them that BEFORE they signed him!!!

IF there is no news, you must make it. Obviously because the Bills QBs didn't tear it up in a preseason game the Bills have to be looking for a better one.

Lol, I'm the last person on this board or maybe amongst the entire Bills fanbase that needs convincing with regards to Hamdan. I may also be the only one in the world but alas... :w00t:

I don't see it happening.

But that doesn't mean I can't hope for it.

The problem there is, Ralph will know he has to pay a guy like Cower more than another team. That isn't something he likes to do. He got TO for a decent price. Certainly didn't pay a premium to get him to come to Buffalo. It will likely be different for Cower.

But still, I like your thinking.

This is total conjecture but watching Ralph over the Hall of Fame weekend I think that he really misses the glory days of the Super Bowl years, and now that he is in the Hall and has a legacy, he may really want to give it one last chance and spend a little money.

The problem is, or the reason it's probably not going to happen, is that if the TO experiment works, the team is probably going to be pretty decent and he will give Jauron another year even though TO will be gone. If TO is great and the team still stinks, TO is likely to get a great offer from a different team next year and he won't like losing here so he will be gone.

In that scenario I don't see Ralph opening up the checkbook for a new big name coach, but he may. I think he's capable of anything these days. What I could never figure out was why he rarely if ever would pay coaches good money even though he spent a 100 million on players. Maybe I was wrong, but I don't even recall Marv or Chuck Knox making good money.

I'm going to disagree. Trent's natural instinct is to check down. He has to make the occasional bold decision. Plenty of big plays are made into double coverage. A good QB has to recognize when he has a good shot to make the play, and take that chance on occasion. Trent basically NEVER takes that chance. A good throw would have completed that pass, IMO. There was an opening, and a top QB can hit that opening.

Now, if Trent was a guy who regularly throws into coverage, I'd agree with you. But he isn't. He is ultra cautious. I'm afraid that one bad experience will work against his opening up, a bit.

I have to agree with that. Hamdan never looks terrible, in a game, to me. Nothing special, but very serviceable.

Trent should have thrown that pass to an open receiver.