Ruben Brown

From this week's The Sporting News.....

'One of the quietest free-agent hits of the offseason was the Bears signing of G Ruben Brown (Bills). The Bills let Brown go and he didn't have a long line of suitors. At one point in training camp, it appeared they might cut him. Bears coaches gave him extra work and made him prove himself. The result: Brown arguably has been the Bears' best offensive lineman.'

Interesting. Way to go Rube. His little tirade got old, but it always seemed he was excited to play. Gotta respect the guys who want to prove everyone wrong. Looks like he had just enough pride left to do just that.

I wonder what our line would be like with Ruben at guard this year?

We will never know.................. :rolleyes:

110576[/snapback]

You\re right we will never know, but probably about in the same place based on my guess at the talent level of the individuals involved and trying to factor in some senses that with the OL more than most other units chemistry is a key to the whole performing at a level greater than the sum of the individual players.

Overall I think Ruben is a plus player and adds a lot to a team and a town he lives in. Certainly while his talent level is very good he did not seem to merit msking the Pro Bowl every year he has played based on what I saw from him on the field. A couple or three of his earlier years he seemed to be a player who dominated opponents and one could see on the field the plaudits he got. However, many other years I was surprised by his Pro Bowl nods because of problems such somr bizarre false start calls he deserved, a few games lost to injries in a couple of seasons, and him getting beaten by a better opponent a bit too often.

However, I can easily see signs of him being a real locker room, team and community leader that we outsiders may not ever see that explains (along with a lack of consistent good guard play in the NFL) which justifies in my mind him getting Pro Bowl recognition in several years we didn't perceive he deserved it.

In fact, I think Ruben's besty year as a player was in the 2002 season where his play included some onfield mistakes which I thought would deny him the Pro Bowl. However, though the OL clearly had some trouble providing good pass protection for the less than nimble Bledsoe, the OL had a surprisingly productive year in Travis Henry;s breakout year where he rode his 1200 plus yards to a Pro Bowl reserve nod and despite the pass pro problems, the passing game allowed Moulds to hit the century mark for receptions, PP racked up 94 and a far bigger contract than his play deserved and even Bledsoe merited his Pro Bowl reserve nod in my book. Ruben almost certainly deserves part of the credit for the OL performance that year as he was the only one of the 5 who had started or had much experience at his line position (Jennings was new to Lt, Teague was new to C and did't want to do it, Sullivan was new at the RG position and MW was a rookie). I think hi leadership of this unit is part of the success they had.

Still despite this, Ruben needed to go because even though he was correct in what he did, he challenged his boss Kevin Killdrive over Gilbriide running the Bills O stupidly and being virtual George Bushesque in his unwillingness to admit any errors or make any changes to his failing policy (oh well at least there was some accountability in Killdrive's case).

At any rate, I thought Ruben actually showed loyalty to his teammates (both Henry and Winfield mouthed off a bit and Gilbride challenged them) because he stuck up for what was right in challenging Gilbride on some of his comments. I wasn't there and only heard thibngs second and third hand, but the problem was that RB was repetitive about this defense and not very tactful (seeminly because his wife's troubled pregnancy had him under a lot pressure.

He did succeed in killing the king (Killdrive) and outlasted GW, Ruel and Vinky as well (I doubt these two deserve much credit for the positive things which did occur on the OL as both were fired after their seasons). However, because he was right and had not been tactful he had to go. This was true even though the Bills saved no cap room by cutting him as any salary savings was offset by the accelerated bonus hit.

As far as replacing him, Villareal seems like a comparable choice. Both are on the downhill sides of their careers but this means they are seasoned vets. Rube brought this to the team and Villareal replaced it. The other upside to the Villareal replacement is that he plays RG to RBs LG and after learning the game from the since cut Sullivan at RG and having to take responsibility for Pacillo when he had no veteran chops himself MW is profiting from getting strong guidance from Villareal beside him as he struggles to learn how to be a professional.

Villareal though does have the downside that he is new to the Bills system and he did not provide the same level of productive leadership to this unit as Ruben might have. All in all it strikes me as a wash, but I'm not surprised at all to hear Ruben is now doing well. With charity efforts like his annual motorcycle rally fundraiser and volunteer efforts for transplantation and with the leadership which got him a TV gig on Channel 2 Ruben is a stand-up guy.

im pretty sure the covers blown, FFS is ruben brown

ruben's best years were while he was next to kent hull. hull made him pro-bowl material and after that nobodys knew any other guards. ruben was garbage on this team for the last 5 years. im glad he's doing well now, but im glad he's gone as well.

From this week's The Sporting News.....

'One of the quietest free-agent hits of the offseason was the Bears signing of G Ruben Brown (Bills).  The Bills let Brown go and he didn't have a long line of suitors.  At one point in training camp, it appeared they might cut him.  Bears coaches gave him extra work and made him prove himself.  The result:  Brown arguably has been the Bears' best offensive lineman.'

Interesting.  Way to go Rube.  His little tirade got old, but it always seemed he was excited to play.  Gotta respect the guys who want to prove everyone wrong.  Looks like he had just enough pride left to do just that.

110559[/snapback]

Remember, according to our resident experts, he wasn't good enough for any team, let alone the PB! :doh:

:rolleyes:

I was pulling for Ruben and it feels good to be vindicated.

Ruben wasn't getting it done here. Whether it was a personal matter with some of the coaches....or players..he wasn't cutting it.

And when you look at the amount of money he was going to get this year....that was too much to risk on HOPING he could turn his career around.

Good for him that he is playing well in Chicago, but the Bills shouldn't regret that cut at all.

Ruben could be the greatest O-lineman to ever play the game. But if he doesn't make the effort for you, what good is he? Remember he was this close to getting cut in Chicago. It took that moment of clarity to get off his fat a$$ and start playing the way he is capable of.

There is no guarentee he would have made the effort if we kept him.

PTR