Sabres and NHL

Jim Kelley, over 30 years writing at the Buffalo News, Buffalo-born and raised, received a special award from the Hockey Hall of Fame last night:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041109/1024548.asp

Quote from the article:

"Dozens of family members and friends were on hand for Kelley's speech, although nobody from the Sabres organization attended. His career was marked by many battles with the Sabres and he occasionally locked horns with the NHL.

"Upon the completion of his speech Bettman, NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell and NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly were the only ones at the primary table not to give Kelley a standing ovation." :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

How narrow-minded can you get?

Jim Kelley, over 30 years writing at the Buffalo News, Buffalo-born and raised, received a special award from the Hockey Hall of Fame last night:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041109/1024548.asp

Quote from the article:

"Dozens of family members and friends were on hand for Kelley's speech, although nobody from the Sabres organization attended. His career was marked by many battles with the Sabres and he occasionally locked horns with the NHL.

"Upon the completion of his speech Bettman, NHL director of hockey operations Colin Campbell and NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly were the only ones at the primary table not to give Kelley a standing ovation." :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

How narrow-minded can you get?

110154[/snapback]

Gary Bettman should be forced to wear a red hat everyday for the rest of his life. Friggin' lawn gnome.

Guest Guest_eyedog_*

They are all killing that game. I say let them canceal the whole season and see if anyone will even care next year.

They are all killing that game. I say let them canceal the whole season and see if anyone will even care next year.

110160[/snapback]

Of course NOBODY cares about the NHL....just let E$PN and other sports show bafoons here in the states brainwash everyone into drifting away from hockey because they dont want to talk about it. Why? Because hockey players dont get into wars over "my dance is better then yours" dramas that E$PN seems to crave. Maybe Dominik Hasek should start a T.O like dance or something after each win, maybe that will get E$PN's attention.

Bettman is a little rat-faced weasel and a sincerely wish him a case of chancres on his member. While I'm unhappy with the NHL players stance for not budging on salary cap issues, Bettman has been and continues to be a world-class A-hole and its easy to see how they can disagree with him on primciple. How Bettman got into this position of power is beyond me...

Bettman hasn't done that league any favors. I can't believe they've kept him around as long as they have.

110187[/snapback]

Agreed. In a weird way I almost want to see the NHL lose this season, maybe another. This may get rid of the idiots like Good-for-nothing-eaw and Bettman, and maybe, just maybe, the NHL will finally get fiscially smart, lower ticket prices across the board, change the rules for the good of the game, and become the great sport that it can be, and fan-friendly.

Bettman is the foosball debil Bobby.

Er wait.... wrong sport.

You think Bettman has hired some extra security? Is a little more cautious when he crosses the street? There's got to be some deranged Habs fan out there somewhere stalking him.

I believe Kelley was head honcho of the hockey writers assocation in recent years.....kinda like Felser with the NFL back in the day.

It's not a surprise that Hillary Clinton Bettman and her minions acted that way. The NHL is a league that is run with complete disdain for its own history.

Don't get me started on the NHL......it died in the early morning, the evening after Messier lifted the Cup with the Rangers. A league that has been dead for a decade.

Bettman is a little rat-faced weasel and a sincerely wish him a case of chancres on his member.  While I'm unhappy with the NHL players stance for not budging on salary cap issues, Bettman has been and continues to be a world-class A-hole and its easy to see how they can disagree with him on primciple.  How Bettman got into this position of power is beyond me...

110176[/snapback]

Finally someone with the same opinion of Bettman as me! I couldn't have said it better.

I'm convinced Bettman has pictures of Wayne Gretzky doing something untoward. How else is he not only keeping his job, but getting the "Great One" to call him "the best commissioner in professional sports" in live televised interviews?

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Lawn Gnome.

I'm convinced Bettman has pictures of Wayne Gretzky doing something untoward.  How else is he not only keeping his job, but getting the "Great One" to call him "the best commissioner in professional sports" in live televised interviews?

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  Lawn Gnome.

110545[/snapback]

Hear, hear.

Of course NOBODY cares about the NHL....just let E$PN and other sports show bafoons here in the states brainwash everyone into drifting away from hockey because they dont want to talk about it.  Why?  Because hockey players dont get into wars over "my dance is better then yours" dramas that E$PN seems to crave.  Maybe Dominik Hasek should start a T.O like dance or something after each win, maybe that will get E$PN's attention.

110173[/snapback]

Right on the money Clements! :rolleyes:

Agreed.  In a weird way I almost want to see the NHL lose this season, maybe another.  This may get rid of the idiots like Good-for-nothing-eaw and Bettman, and maybe, just maybe, the NHL will finally get fiscially smart, lower ticket prices across the board, change the rules for the good of the game, and become the great sport that it can be, and fan-friendly.

110197[/snapback]

Man are you me or my evil twin posting or something?? Right on the money again! I think exactly the same way. I hope they trash the season to bring the players AND the owners back to reality. Hey to make a omlette you have to break a few eggs, right? Maybe the NHL will lose a few teams to improve the overall quality. The players get far too big a cut of the income as it is and the owners and Bettman have done nothing to help the actual game. They have let it degrade into a clutch and grab scrum. All Betman cares about is some pie in the sky national US tv contract.

I'm convinced Bettman has pictures of Wayne Gretzky doing something untoward.  How else is he not only keeping his job, but getting the "Great One" to call him "the best commissioner in professional sports" in live televised interviews?

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  Lawn Gnome.

110545[/snapback]

I think Wayne Gretzky is walking a fine line, Gretzky much like Gordie Howe was able to play both sides of the fence and not get to many folks from either management or players offended with anything he does. I think he learned this from Howe who when Ted Lindsay at the time wanted to begin the first players union, Howe rather than support him stayed on the fence and safe and in doing so became the loved by all icon he is today where Lindsay a great player also paid the price of sticking his head out.

When all the dust settles it will not be at all surprising because the game will need an impactful name and a trusted one Gretzky will become commissioner and Betteman will head back to the NBA and Stern and some function there....

Wayne Gretzky can play the game well on the ice and off it........

I think Wayne Gretzky is walking a fine line, Gretzky much like Gordie Howe was able to play both sides of the fence and not get to many folks from either management or players offended with anything he does.  I think he learned this from Howe who when Ted Lindsay at the time wanted to begin the first players union, Howe rather than support him stayed on the fence and safe and in doing so became the loved by all icon he is today where Lindsay a great player also paid the price of sticking his head out.

When all the dust settles it will not be at all surprising because the game will need an impactful name and a trusted one Gretzky will become commissioner and Betteman will head back to the NBA and Stern and some function there....

Wayne Gretzky can play the game well on the ice and off it........

110853[/snapback]

He's lost ALOT of credibility with me. I'm sure they'll do something like make him commissioner, which is destined to be a public relations coup initially, and end in disaster.

Gary Bettman should be forced to wear a red hat everyday for the rest of his life.  Friggin' lawn gnome.

110157[/snapback]

Bettman and his cronies are what have helped put one of the NHL's legs in the grave. It's just a matter of time, as long as they are running the show, till the NHL is a sport only in Mid-American cities, similar to Arena Football or Indoor Lacrosse. They have destroyed the game to a point where it might never come back to what it was.