Greatest Bill Ever

Greatest Bill Ever  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Bill Ever

• OJ
    • Jimbo
    • Thurman
    • Bruce

I voted for Jim Kelly, though I don't think he was more talented (at his position) than Oj or Bruce were. You could make a decent argument that Simpson and Smith were one of the top 5 players at their positions, all time. You probably couldn't do that with Jim. Top 40, yes...

I think my favorite to watch, was Bruce Smith. Even when the run of Super Bowls had come to an end, I still got amped to watch Bruce every week. Simpson is pretty hard to argue with, as far as his on the field production is concerned. However, OJ's off the field antics takes him out of the running for the title of "greatest Bill ever"

Jim Kelly was damn great in his own right, and he was/is (still) the face of the franchise. He wasn't perfect by any stretch, but, maybe more than any other player, he represented the greatness of those teams, and the flaws...and, I would argue, long before Doug Flutie "saved the franchise", Jim Kelly did more than any player in franchise history, to make it a legit franchise, and added more to its' "rich tradition" than anyone. Not that he didn't have plenty of great players around him, but I think he was more responsible than anyone, for bringing respectability to the Bills history. If you take those four Super Bowl losses out of the Bills history, the teams history is pretty mediocre...Kelly was the leader of the best teams in franchise history...Jim Kelly is the greatest Buffalo Bill ever!

It's gotta be Bruce. Arguably the single greatest player at his position of all time - which is definitely more than you can say for Jimbo and Thurman, and I think there's not really a case that it's true of the Juice. Plus, no matter how good Bruce looked on the field, the truth always was that he was even better than that. The guy played end in a true 3-4 defense and set the sack record. That's like throwing for 5000 yards all out of the Wildcat or breaking the rushing record in a Run & Shoot.

It's gotta be Bruce. Arguably the single greatest player at his position of all time - which is definitely more than you can say for Jimbo and Thurman, and I think there's not really a case that it's true of the Juice. Plus, no matter how good Bruce looked on the field, the truth always was that he was even better than that. The guy played end in a true 3-4 defense and set the sack record. That's like throwing for 5000 yards all out of the Wildcat or breaking the rushing record in a Run & Shoot.

Only thing I will say about that, before the murders, Simpson was absolutely considered by most, one of the very elite (like top 5) running backs of all time. I remember in the late 1980's he was ranked number 2 in some poll (I believe it was a PFW poll).

After the events of 1993, for about 5 years, his name was rarely mentioned, by anyone, nationally...almost as if his name was taboo on NFL broadcasts. I think you can make a very good argument that Bruce Smith and OJ are amongst the very greatest at their positions (though I wouldn't say either was "the greatest"), but to be the greatest Bill ever, I think you have to take more into consideration than simple performance. Gotta be Jim Kelly.

I will agree though, if I was starting a team, and I could pick only one of them, based solely on what they bring to the field, I would pick Bruce Smith.

Only thing I will say about that, before the murders, Simpson was absolutely considered by most, one of the very elite (like top 5) running backs of all time.

I considered him to be one of the 5 best RBs of all time after the murders too.

I considered him to be one of the 5 best RBs of all time after the murders too.

No doubt...me too. But, I think that national perception influences all of us. I accept that Jim Brown was the greatest running back of all time, though I never saw him play, because the national media types (many who are also likely not old enough to have seen play) always insist he was, whenever the topic comes up.

OJ may have been the greatest player of his era, and the face of the NFL in the 70's. No other Bill can claim that. Saying he is top 5 doesn't get to the heart of it. When I see him on a 'greatest' list behind Emmit, Sanders, Peyton and the like I want to spit nails. It just wasn't so.

Guest dog14787

Jimbo is my all time favorite, but Bruce Smith is the NFL all time sack leader so I reluctantly chose Bruce Smith.

OJ may have been the greatest player of his era, and the face of the NFL in the 70's. No other Bill can claim that. Saying he is top 5 doesn't get to the heart of it. When I see him on a 'greatest' list behind Emmit, Sanders, Peyton and the like I want to spit nails. It just wasn't so.

people are punishing OJ for the murders

OJ is the second best running back of all time behind Jim Brown. There may be some arguments that a few people are tied for 2nd with him.But thats it. Once in a lifetime talent level. And a murderer.

The people who claim that Thurman was a better back than OJ(only TBD members-no sane person from another city would say that) using the blocking etc are really delusional.And most of them didnt see OJ play game in game out.

That said-- the question of who is the 'GREATEST BILL' is open for interpretation.And picking Jimbo is understandable.

That said-- the question of who is the 'GREATEST BILL' is open for interpretation.And picking Jimbo is understandable.

It sure is, as everyone has a different definition of "greatest". Does it mean best player? best leader? best post-career impact on the team? best face of the city? most appreciated by the fans? fewest ex-wives' decapitated?

From a pure "best football player" standpoint, I think Bruce and OJ are the only guys in the conversation. But Jimbo may very well have been the "greatest" as the heart of the best Bills teams ever.