Eugene Parker is a....

Magox

See also #6 Andre Smith. Despite his documented weirdness, several agent switches etc., owner Brown picked him. Sent his OL coach Paul Alexander to go visit him a day or two before the draft, to see if he was sincere about signing, and didn't balloon up. Smith lied.

Brown loves to think he spots a bargain among players that other teams retch at.

This guy might indeed be one that's tossed back into the barrel. He wants QB money. :rolleyes:

I guarantee you that if teams gave their rookies this ultimatum and a close deadline, none of them would continue to holdout.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They would be beyond stupid to do that. There's no way they would. I don't understand how that is a threat, because they'd lose a ton of money. A WR that played in the spread offense, didn't run a 40 yard dash, hasn't played football in over a year, and held out for ridiculous amounts of money, would not be drafted anywhere near the top 10 next year. And if he isn't, he's losing a ton of money by sliding down the draft order, and also a year's salary.

I don't understand how that's a threat. If anything, the 49ers should be using that as a threat, not Parker.

I guarantee you that if teams gave their rookies this ultimatum and a close deadline, none of them would continue to holdout.

Could be. B'gal's fans around town (yes - they do exist), rolled their eyes when the tub of goo was picked by Mikie. Unless proven otherwise, I see him as getting that one fat contract and then pfft after the ink dries.

I hope he signs 'em and then eats the money... :wallbash:

I liked Akili Smith, as a decent man. Brown demanded drafting him, even though the staff and the HC was appalled (Brown insisted on turning down Ditka's offer of their full draft to grab Ricky Williams).

Akili was no NFL QB for sure. But he was a terrific competitor who came to play. The guy was tough as nails, and did his best. No flies on him. I was happy when Brown cut him and then had to peel off 4 million in cash money to fork over to Smith. :w00t:

Edited by stuckincincy

I remember when Andre was drafted and someone in his living room had a baby in their lap. The minute he was drafted the room exploded with cheers but the kid was crying her eyes out because of the sudden loud noises from her family.

All I could think of was "Kid...if I were a Bengal fan, I'd be crying too"

What makes you think their clients "tell them what to do"?

If a client is not signing off on what an agent is doing, then the player is at fault for letting it happen. If YOU know what the agent is doing then what makes you think the player doesn't? Or could it be that YOU have no friggin idea what is really happening? Either way, why would any fan be upset at the agent? If anyone, be "mad" at the player.

There is a slotting process. When an agent tries to go outside of that slotting process and causing his rookie client to miss valuable training camp time, he's not doing anyone any good except for himself, assuming he gets what he was looking for. At some point I'd hope the Bills would say to Maybin and his agent "this is our final offer, if you don't like it, you can sit out the season, lose a year of NFL money, and re-enter the draft, with probably no chance of being a first round pick, much less a top-15 pick." Enough is enough.

And this is the agent fault because . . . ?

If a client is not signing off on what an agent is doing, then the player is at fault for letting it happen. If YOU know what the agent is doing then what makes you think the player doesn't? Or could it be that YOU have no friggin idea what is really happening? Either way, why would any fan be upset at the agent? If anyone, be "mad" at the player.

One of my very close friends is an NFL agent. Naturally, he is friends with a lot of other agents around the league and in other sports. I've met a ton of them. They are persuaders, that's what they do. They've been in the business, unlike these kids. These kids have no idea what goes on in the business side of the NFL, the agents do, hence why there is a profession for them. These kids put their trust in the agent, and when the agent tells the kid what he can do for him, and how much he's going to be able to get, these kids go along with it. They become persuaded. I've seen it, I know it for a fact. They are slick bastards who know how to manipulate these unknowledgeable and easily persuadable kids.

The agent persuades the kid in what he's worth, and how much he's going to be able to get.

One of my very close friends is an NFL agent. Naturally, he is friends with a lot of other agents around the league and in other sports. I've met a ton of them. They are persuaders, that's what they do. They've been in the business, unlike these kids. These kids have no idea what goes on in the business side of the NFL, the agents do, hence why there is a profession for them. These kids put their trust in the agent, and when the agent tells the kid what he can do for him, and how much he's going to be able to get, these kids go along with it. They become persuaded. I've seen it, I know it for a fact. They are slick bastards who know how to manipulate these unknowledgeable and easily persuadable kids.

The agent persuades the kid in what he's worth, and how much he's going to be able to get.

And their cut. You didn't mention that specifically, but it was implicit in your post.

What's it like being "very close friends" with a "slick bastard?"

GO BILLS!!!

What's it like being "very close friends" with a "slick bastard?"

GO BILLS!!!

Actually, it's quite sad. When he was registered by the NFLPA it gave me hope that not all agents were out for themselves. He was a great guy, very loyal, and he literally made himself successful from nothing. Over the years, the deeper he's gotten into the business, it is my opinion that he's become more and more like his counterparts, and thus, we've begun to lose touch. It's a shame, really. I guess it's the business, it seems like that's the only way to become successful at it.

The agents and players in the top of the first round that are not signed and not named Crabtree are waiting this out because they think Crabtree is going to get the money, they are going to make more money because of it, and they are literally banking on it. They aren't really any better than Parker or Crabtree. There is not a rule about slotting, it's a choice.

I think the issue is rookie's getting to much money and I think this will be a huge issue when the CBA comes up next year. They (Crabtree, Maybin) haven't played a down in the NFL yet.

... agent doing his job.

Speaking of which agent? I would say Segal (Maybin) is arguable doing his job playing the waiting game. As for Parker (Crabtree) I think he's messing up the situation. NFL sources everywhere are reporting that Parker wants top five money for Crabtree. Problem is he was drafted at number 10. Plenty of players slide down in the draft for injury and non-injury reasons. You get paid where you are drafted, not where you think you should have been drafted. Did we give Willis McGahee top five money? No. And before his injury he was considered a top five player. Parker is turning this into a lose-lose situation by having the audacity to attempt to blow up the slotting guidelines. Player contributes next to nothing this year, player loses, team loses.

guy who is doing what i hope he would do for me if he were my agent. show me the money.

might be these guys only chance to cash in...

See above.

I remember when Andre (Smith) was drafted and someone in his living room had a baby in their lap. The minute he was drafted the room exploded with cheers but the kid was crying her eyes out because of the sudden loud noises from her family.

All I could think of was "Kid...if I were a Bengal fan, I'd be crying too"

Cute. In a, you know, manly sort of way.

This is a naive notion as "ans" so eloquently pointed out. You're talking about high-powered lawyers versus young kids, many of them with limited education and experience. What do you think an agent does?