Eugene Parker is a....

Magox

One of my very close friends is an NFL agent. Naturally, he is friends with a lot of other agents around the league and in other sports. I've met a ton of them. They are persuaders, that's what they do. They've been in the business, unlike these kids. These kids have no idea what goes on in the business side of the NFL, the agents do, hence why there is a profession for them. These kids put their trust in the agent, and when the agent tells the kid what he can do for him, and how much he's going to be able to get, these kids go along with it. They become persuaded. I've seen it, I know it for a fact. They are slick bastards who know how to manipulate these unknowledgeable and easily persuadable kids.

The agent persuades the kid in what he's worth, and how much he's going to be able to get.

And in the free market where the athletes have the ultimate decision on who an agent who routinely persuades kids thet are worth more than the market will give them are out of the business.

If these kids cannot figure out that this particular agent has developed a rep for overestimating his clients worth and then fails to deliver his client a contract above the slotted level after a bit of a holdout frim signing, this agent will begin to lose business.

If the player is too much of a sheep to figure the past contracts the agent has signed were not outstanding, the n the other agents competing for contracts will make sure that the rookies know.

You also paint to simple a picture of the agent as some Svengali that is the only force driving a player. As much as the agent may be telling the kid to hold out, the players Mom and/or Dad are ready to move into a new house as soon as the player signs his deal and can pay for it outright or get a loan to payback hos Mom for years of cleaning his nose at Pop Warner football.

In addition, bring along every relative who he has not seen for years is now acting like his best bud.

There are a few agents out there who are singular gods to their clients, but reality says it is a lot more and an agent as the sole influence (much less director) of an athlete is the rare case. it sounds like your agent friend has been a good persuader and sold you a bill of goods exaggerating the single agents role.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And in the free market where the athletes have the ultimate decision on who an agent who routinely persuades kids thet are worth more than the market will give them are out of the business.

If these kids cannot figure out that this particular agent has developed a rep for overestimating his clients worth and then fails to deliver his client a contract above the slotted level after a bit of a holdout frim signing, this agent will begin to lose business.

If the player is too much of a sheep to figure the past contracts the agent has signed were not outstanding, the n the other agents competing for contracts will make sure that the rookies know.

You also paint to simple a picture of the agent as some Svengali that is the only force driving a player. As much as the agent may be telling the kid to hold out, the players Mom and/or Dad are ready to move into a new house as soon as the player signs his deal and can pay for it outright or get a loan to payback hos Mom for years of cleaning his nose at Pop Warner football.

In addition, bring along every relative who he has not seen for years is now acting like his best bud.

There are a few agents out there who are singular gods to their clients, but reality says it is a lot more and an agent as the sole influence (much less director) of an athlete is the rare case. it sounds like your agent friend has been a good persuader and sold you a bill of goods exaggerating the single agents role.

I know agents as well. Some are VERY successful and very decent people who can persuade a lion to give up a steak. As far as I can tell, they are successful because their clients believe they will get them the best deal - plain and simple. You don't get clients unless you deliver what they want. Parker, or anyone else, is putting their livelihood on the line every time they go to the negotiating table. One bad move and - poof - no more clients.

There is no point in doing something completely stupid if it means losing out on future business. It is likely the agent is much more rationale and pragmatic than any client (and client's family/friends) on their list.