Roscoe Parrish

bluenews

I attended camp monday, and noticed roscoe running the wildcat. The team ran roughly 10 plays with roscoe at the wildcat position with marshawn and jackson on each side of him. Trent was split out with evans and owens on the other side. They ran a few different plays out of this formation but the one that stuck out was basically a triple option.

On a side note before the team did position drills T.O. and Lee both worked with the offense on a series of reverses.

I attended camp monday, and noticed roscoe running the wildcat. The team ran roughly 10 plays with roscoe at the wildcat position with marshawn and jackson on each side of him. Trent was split out with evans and owens on the other side. They ran a few different plays out of this formation but the one that stuck out was basically a triple option.

On a side note before the team did position drills T.O. and Lee both worked with the offense on a series of reverses.

My guess is that the wildcat is a gimmick that has had its day. Baltimore was pretty effective in shutting it down and other teams have learned from this. If it is used will be a gadget play once or twice within a game and that is likely to be it. Besides with the Fins potentially playing it often the AFC East teams will learn (or already have) to shut it down.

I would be happier to see the Bills staff create their own formation to play to their unique skills. Remember the Fins were most successful with this early on because of the element of unfamiliarity.

My guess is that the wildcat is a gimmick that has had its day. Baltimore was pretty effective in shutting it down and other teams have learned from this. If it is used will be a gadget play once or twice within a game and that is likely to be it. Besides with the Fins potentially playing it often the AFC East teams will learn (or already have) to shut it down.

I would be happier to see the Bills staff create their own formation to play to their unique skills. Remember the Fins were most successful with this early on because of the element of unfamiliarity.

I totally agree with that, and it was a big reason why the Dolphins surprised people, as well as a big reason why I don't think they will be nearly as good this year because the gimmick will be stopped much easier.

I do, however, firmly agree with getting the ball in Roscoe's hands 5-10 more times a game.

I totally agree with that, and it was a big reason why the Dolphins surprised people, as well as a big reason why I don't think they will be nearly as good this year because the gimmick will be stopped much easier.

I do, however, firmly agree with getting the ball in Roscoe's hands 5-10 more times a game.

I disagree. The ravens were good at stopping it yet they saw how effective the wildcat could be, which is why they also went wildcat. Anytime you can have Roscoe getting the ball in the backfield with the option of handing the ball off, running, or pitching the ball a little further down field you may be at an advantage. I dont think it will be a staple in our offense, but I think with the no huddle we could really create a mismatch.

I disagree. The ravens were good at stopping it yet they saw how effective the wildcat could be, which is why they also went wildcat. Anytime you can have Roscoe getting the ball in the backfield with the option of handing the ball off, running, or pitching the ball a little further down field you may be at an advantage. I dont think it will be a staple in our offense, but I think with the no huddle we could really create a mismatch.

Why is there such a strong belief that Roscoe is a playmaker with the ball in his hands? The guys single biggest advantage is that he is a natural at making the first punt coverage guy miss. If he does not have the advantage of getting to open field or he is in traffic he is easily tackled.

The guy is a great punt returner. For whatever it is worth I am very skeptical that he can do anything more on an NFL field.

The wildcat is for teams that have a non playmaking QB, and have almost no talent at WR. Doesn't that sound like the Dolphins? When you have T.O., Evans, Reed, Johnson, spent a 2nd on Hardy, and drafted a pass catching TE you shouldn't run the wildcat. Why would you want anyone to think these guys aren't going out for a pass by replacing your QB with a running back or wide out? Doesn't make sense. Teams are going to have a tough time covering our WR's and dealing with our running game. There are only a couple of teams in the league I would trade offenses with.

I've been saying this for a while now, a part from punt returns, the Wild Cat is about the only place that Roscoe will be able to show case his abilities, a side from the rare occasions that he is able to get open for a pass. Let's face it, he's not a good WR, and the Wild Cat is where he will be best served.

Why is there such a strong belief that Roscoe is a playmaker with the ball in his hands? The guys single biggest advantage is that he is a natural at making the first punt coverage guy miss. If he does not have the advantage of getting to open field or he is in traffic he is easily tackled.

The guy is a great punt returner. For whatever it is worth I am very skeptical that he can do anything more on an NFL field.

Why the hell would having an uncanny ability to make the first guy miss not be a tremendous advantage whenever and wherever you get the ball? And I don't know what you have been watching but he does a helluva lot more on PR than make the first guy miss.

Definitely. Maybe a split backfield with Jackson during some plays in the first couple of games?

Why the hell would having an uncanny ability to make the first guy miss not be a tremendous advantage whenever and wherever you get the ball? And I don't know what you have been watching but he does a helluva lot more on PR than make the first guy miss.

Where do his stats and play suggest that he is such a threat? Point to one game where he was a diiference maker other than as a punt returner.

Agreed,

People love to stroke Roscoe up and down all day. The guys a 170lb (soaken wet) sub, subpar WR. Cant get off the LOS w/o getting blasted. In open field on a punt return there is usually 1 or 2 gunners that get down there, they are the fastest guys generally on the punt team. If Roscoe manages to get past them he usually has a pretty good chance at a good return because people are running in opposite directions, but if he gets in traffic he can easily be taken down.

Gotta agree with you here, he pinballs all over the dam field on returns, Mcgee kinda returns kicks

like that too. Parrish also gives you unbelivible thrills every time he touches the ball, which has to

be more.

Before we are able to use any gimmick or gadget plays we must be able to establish the run. Unless marshawn is getting 4 yards a carry dont plan on seeing any effectiveness from craftyness. We use to try gimmick plays to Roscoe and they didnt work and they where plain as day. Miami is successful because Ronnie Brown is so dangerous he sucks the defense to him. Roscoe is a return man, Id like to see him on kick returns also so Mckelvin and Mcgee are less likely to get injured, he will be a #5 WR if that this year.

Where do his stats and play suggest that he is such a threat? Point to one game where he was a diiference maker other than as a punt returner.

Game three last year. Bills down by 9 against the Raiders. With four minutes left he catches a 14 yard TD to cut it to two. With two minutes left he catches a 16 yarder to get to the Raiders 45. A couple runs into the line and Lindell kicks the game winning field goal.

The point people have been making is they don't go far enough to get the ball in his hands. I think every team in the league would do that with a guy with his extraordinary skills. Just because he doesn't have all the skills a WR may need to be a solid #2 or #3 in this league, doesn't mean a team can't find ways to get a guy like that the ball which makes him as dangerous and as valuable as a solid #2 or #3.

They were not doing the wildcat in camp to help the defense, as you could tell if you were there all of the emphasis was on the offensive side of the ball.

Everyone uses size as the reason roscoe can never succeed as a receiver in the nfl. Roscoe is 5'9" 171 lbs. Steve Smith is 5'9" 185lbs. Darren Sproles is 5'9" 181 lbs. Roscoe ran a 4.37 40yd dash and sproles ran a 4.49. Lee evans ran a 4.39 40.

I know these are just numbers but it may be a little perspective.

They were not doing the wildcat in camp to help the defense, as you could tell if you were there all of the emphasis was on the offensive side of the ball.

Everyone uses size as the reason roscoe can never succeed as a receiver in the nfl. Roscoe is 5'9" 171 lbs. Steve Smith is 5'9" 185lbs. Darren Sproles is 5'9" 181 lbs. Roscoe ran a 4.37 40yd dash and sproles ran a 4.49. Lee evans ran a 4.39 40.

I know these are just numbers but it may be a little perspective.

Agreed. All because Roscoe lacks size, does not mean he lacks ability. The kid is a playmaker, and the bills are simply looking for more ways to get the ball into his hands because he gets jammed at the line, and can't block very well. Coaches will find different ways to get the ball into playmakers hands...and that's what they are doing. Im excited to see where this goes.