Burress is screwed

Mr. WEO

I don't know much about the case, just that he had an unregistered gun and shot himself inside a nightclub. Can anyone who knows a little more fill me in on why Burress and Marshawn both had unregistered guns, but Plax is going to jail and nothing legal came to Marshawn? Is it just because Plax's went off?

link

Looks like mandatory minimum for "Plax".

He'll be lucky to get the 2 year deal now that he f**ked himself by testifying before the grand jury.

What a bonehead.

The two year plea deal is absolutely off the table now. This is more on Burress than his attorney - It was reported that Plax was unwilling to take any more than a year in prison on a deal. There is no leeway with mandatory minimums, especially involving weapons/drug charges.

Plax was screwed the minute Mayor Bloomberg spoke out strongly against him shortly after the incident - his speech definitely put pressure on the prosecutors involved.

If Burress is on the field opening day, Marshawn better be too.

Not exactly, Burress' case will still be pending, and innocent until proven guilty. Lynch was convicted before he was punished.

I don't know much about the case, just that he had an unregistered gun and shot himself inside a nightclub. Can anyone who knows a little more fill me in on why Burress and Marshawn both had unregistered guns, but Plax is going to jail and nothing legal came to Marshawn? Is it just because Plax's went off?

Because in New York.....New York City especially, gun laws are strict as a mutha fugger....... Lynch's charge was also pleaded down to a misdemeanor gun charge, Plaxico is charged with 2 felony weapon charges and another charge of reckless endangerment (which I believe is also a felony).

3 felonies >>>>>>>>>>> 1 Misdemeanor

Other than Lynch's gun being in a locked box in the trunk of his car, it's the same case. NOT! Yes it's because Burress' gun went off, while he had it on him, in a crowded club. He's lucky he's not facing manslaughter charges. Then again, he could argue that the vic wandered into his path and serve 30 days. ;)

Clearing Pierce was the right move. I'm willing to bet Burress will be on the field for some NFL team by opening day.

With the Mayor and others speaking out publicly, I think Burress is going to be used as an example. I would have rather have seen Stallworth used as an example, but athletes need to be shown that they're nothing special. Still 3 1/2 to 15 years is pretty harsh for this, compared to Vick and Stallworth.

It's a shame, because he was doing the right thing with Pierce.

The two year plea deal is absolutely off the table now. This is more on Burress than his attorney - It was reported that Plax was unwilling to take any more than a year in prison on a deal. There is no leeway with mandatory minimums, especially involving weapons/drug charges.

Plax was screwed the minute Mayor Bloomberg spoke out strongly against him shortly after the incident - his speech definitely put pressure on the prosecutors involved.

They have been talking alot about Burress down here in Virginia Beach where he is from, and you are absolutely correct, it was Burress himself that didn't want the two year deal, not his lawyer. They said Burress was terrified about going to prison at all, so I guess he better be really scared now. As far as the title of this post, you are correct, Burress is screwed, but by himself and nobody else. He has been a flippin idiot since high school, through college and the pros, which is why Pittsburgh wanted nothing else to do with him, despite his obvious talent.

My prediction:

The commish will suspend him indefinately until after his legal issues are resolved after which he'll do the 2+ years get released and never step on a NFL field again as an active player.

My prediction:

The commish will suspend him indefinately until after his legal issues are resolved after which he'll do the 2+ years get released and never step on a NFL field again as an active player.

I agree. It will most likely pan out just as the Vick situation did. After he completes his bid on the farm, he'll be conditionally reinstated by the commish, with a few more games tacked on.

Clearing Pierce was the right move. I'm willing to bet Burress will be on the field for some NFL team by opening day.

The Green Machine?

Look, his lawyer never should have let him go into that grand jury room where, by his very testimony, he would be admitting guilt to all three charges under oath. It was simply stupid for his lawyer to have suggested to his client that a grand jury, which is charged only with determining whether charges should be brought, would be "sympathetic" to Plax's "explanation" as to why he brought the gun to the club.

If his client refused to take the 2 year deal he should have simply said to the DA--"we'll see you in court", and taken his chances with a petit jury---with the aid of defense counsel.

My favorite Plax moment was his first catch in the NFL. He caught it while on the ground and got up and spiked the ball before the play was over. He forgot he wasn't in college any more. Haha what an !@#$. While I think he is getting a little much in comparison to the Stallworth dabacle he's a true idiot.

Not exactly, Burress' case will still be pending, and innocent until proven guilty. Lynch was convicted before he was punished.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal concept. The facts are that Plax had an illegal gun that went off and could have hurt somone other than him. Goodell CAN act on the facts...

"Innocent until proven guilty" is a legal concept. The facts are that Plax had an illegal gun that went off and could have hurt somone other than him. Goodell CAN act on the facts...

Especially since Plax admitted to everything in his grand jury testimony.

[/quot

Not saying it is right, but a couple reasons are that Burress took his into a public place (nightclub) and discharged it, coupled with NYC has some the toughest gun laws in the country. It doesn't help that that mayor of NYC is pushing for him to be behind bars either.