Rate Modrak, Guy and Overdorf

Stroud was acquired in a trade.

How is it possible to grade Overdorf? Does anyone know if he has complete authority over contract negotiations? I highly doubt it.

the beauty of the Bills front office is no one has complete authority over anything.

there is no accountability under their circle jerk organization

Russ is in name the COO - but he does not do contracts, he does not evaluate players, he does not draft or bring in free agents

Overdork does something with contracts- but who OKs who to acquire and what the terms will be??

Guy and Modrak do something with personnel - but they don't make the picks - but who does??

Dick, Ralph ???

the fans sure don't and at Ralph's age - they probably have him bamboozled as well.

10 years with no playoffs and still employed would indicate as much

It certainly wasn't predictbale that Buffalo would sign TO, but go back to late February/early March. The Bills were coming off another 7-9 season, retained DJ (while other teams axed coaches), and had just lost out on signing Laveranues Coles. Their lone UFA signings were a backup QB, former backup C, and a recently released DB. Needless to say, things weren't great in Bills land.

The TO signing was great for both the team and marketing people. Time will tell how he does on the field, but he's given the franchise a shot in the arm. Buffalo had to do something in light of all the bad moments in the recent past.

The Bills could have said "TO is a great player, but a cancer and will likely upset the apple cart so pass," and then gone harder after someone like Joey Galloway. And Coles wouldn't have been a sexy FA pickup after signing Hangartner, Rhodes, and Florence, and that's why they really wanted in FA, but lucked-into getting TO instead. And bringing in Coles pretty much disproves the silly idea that it was purely a marketing move. They wanted an upgrade at WR. The marketing side was an added bonus.

The Bills could have said "TO is a great player, but a cancer and will likely upset the apple cart so pass," and then gone harder after someone like Joey Galloway. And Coles wouldn't have been a sexy FA pickup after signing Hangartner, Rhodes, and Florence, and that's why they really wanted in FA, but lucked-into getting TO instead. And bringing in Coles pretty much disproves the silly idea that it was purely a marketing move. They wanted an upgrade at WR. The marketing side was an added bonus.

It's important to remember what was going on in early March. The Bills did very little that first week of UFA, and after Coles opted to sign with Cincinnati, it appeared they'd do nothing noteworthy. DJ was returning, the team added no one in UFA worthy of exciting fans, and Peters had not been traded yet. The idea many fans had here thinking the team would make a "splash" to show they were determined to improve from 08 was put to rest.

Owens' release from Dallas occurred on 3/4 and he didn't sign with Buffalo until three days later. It was a great signing for the short term and undoubtedly will help the marketing of Buffalo. But I still don't think John Guy was behind this move. This thing happened at the highest level, probably Brandon who recognized marketing this team would remain a challenge with DJ back in the fold, not to mention continued failure on the field. That's speculation, but I think reasonable to assume.

It's important to remember what was going on in early March. The Bills did very little that first week of UFA, and after Coles opted to sign with Cincinnati, it appeared they'd do nothing noteworthy. DJ was returning, the team added no one in UFA worthy of exciting fans, and Peters had not been traded yet. The idea many fans had here thinking the team would make a "splash" to show they were determined to improve from 08 was put to rest.

Owens' release from Dallas occurred on 3/4 and he didn't sign with Buffalo until three days later. It was a great signing for the short term and undoubtedly will help the marketing of Buffalo. But I still don't think John Guy was behind this move. This thing happened at the highest level, probably Brandon who recognized marketing this team would remain a challenge with DJ back in the fold, not to mention continued failure on the field. That's speculation, but I think reasonable to assume.

The marketing comes with a guy like TO, who is still a top WR in the league. I disagree that the Bills looked at this as more of a marketing move than a move to help them on the field, again because they brought in other WR's.

The marketing comes with a guy like TO, who is still a top WR in the league. I disagree that the Bills looked at this as more of a marketing move than a move to help them on the field, again because they brought in other WR's.

We needed more talent.. TO was that and more, I agree the boost in revenue won't help....

Agree that John Guy had nothing to do with bringing T.O. in at all, but say "YES" like he always does. :cry:

I've slammed Ralph/F.O. many times (and I feel deservedly so, based on the bottom-line results), but the T.O. move was brilliant, I'll go Spinal Tap & give them an 11 out of 10 there . Even if it doesn't work out in the end, I take my hat off to them for thinking outside the box, very well done. :worthy: I'm loving every minute of it!

I give a 10 to whoever really brought in TO.6MIL for all the sales and publicity they are gonna get not incl the on field production?? You kiddin me? TO is gonna generate about 30 MIL for the Bills as well as making them a better team.

Did you know that for T.O. to "generate $30 Million for the Bills", they would need to sell an additional 150 luxury suites for $200,000.00 each? :cry::worthy:

The Bills might earn enough residual money to perhaps get their $6.5 Million dollars back for their one year investment if they sell enough jerseys, and if they win conisistently while Owens continues to perform at a high level, they might be able to sell some of their empty premium seats and/or suites on a weekly basis.

But $30 Million from T.O. alone? Sorry, not in Buffalo, and not with this young untested O-Line blocking for young Edwards who needs to get the ball to T.O. for anything to happen at all.

On a scale from 0 = Do Not Resuscitate, to 10 = Polian...

To be accurate at all you have to add Ralph W. to this list since in the end it is he who signs the paychecks for all of these acquisitions and clearly has veto power over any of the big signings (and may have been an impetus for any of these acquisitions rather than being an undeniable veto over any big decisions.

For Ralph and all of these individuals, they have to be rated a mixed bag. They all have some involvement in individual good moves as well as some responsibility for stinkers. If one is looking to assign blame for an individual the bigger your indictment of any individual then the bigger the indictment of Ralph for hiring or continuing to pay this jerk.

In my book Ralph deserves a ton of credit for keeping the Bills here. However, this credit does not invalidate his role in all the bad moves or hiring any individual you want to declare an idiot.

Ralph also bears pretty specific blame for QB debacles and also for personally mishandling the relationships with GM's Polian and Burler and then hiring and failing to properly manage TD.

Its hard for me to see how any logical person cannot start and virtually finish laying the blame for 10 years of playoff failure at Ralph's door.

Fish starts rotting from the head and its true of this team's failure as well. These failures do not eradicate the fact that Ralph deserves huge credit for keeping the Bills here. Likewise however, this great and essential move does not totally invalidate the reality of his failings as a team owner.

To be accurate at all you have to add Ralph W. to this list since in the end it is he who signs the paychecks for all of these acquisitions and clearly has veto power over any of the big signings (and may have been an impetus for any of these acquisitions rather than being an undeniable veto over any big decisions.

For Ralph and all of these individuals, they have to be rated a mixed bag. They all have some involvement in individual good moves as well as some responsibility for stinkers. If one is looking to assign blame for an individual the bigger your indictment of any individual then the bigger the indictment of Ralph for hiring or continuing to pay this jerk.

In my book Ralph deserves a ton of credit for keeping the Bills here. However, this credit does not invalidate his role in all the bad moves or hiring any individual you want to declare an idiot.

Ralph also bears pretty specific blame for QB debacles and also for personally mishandling the relationships with GM's Polian and Burler and then hiring and failing to properly manage TD.

Its hard for me to see how any logical person cannot start and virtually finish laying the blame for 10 years of playoff failure at Ralph's door.

Fish starts rotting from the head and its true of this team's failure as well. These failures do not eradicate the fact that Ralph deserves huge credit for keeping the Bills here. Likewise however, this great and essential move does not totally invalidate the reality of his failings as a team owner.

Everyone involved in the decision to retain Jauron as coach gets a 0

Everyone else, maybe a 5; there have been good and bad signings.

Agree that John Guy had nothing to do with bringing T.O. in at all, but say "YES" like he always does. <_<

I've slammed Ralph/F.O. many times (and I feel deservedly so, based on the bottom-line results), but the T.O. move was brilliant, I'll go Spinal Tap & give them an 11 out of 10 there . Even if it doesn't work out in the end, I take my hat off to them for thinking outside the box, very well done. :blink: I'm loving every minute of it!

IIRC, there were two dissenting votes within the inner circle against retaining DJ after the season finale. I'm guessing Modrak and Brandon wanted the guy gone, with the most important votes, RW and Littman, electing to keep the recently extended DJ. Brandon's been marketing this team for a decade and knew he couldn't attain the same season ticket levels without a drawing card. I still believe he was the impetus to signing TO, and pitched the idea to RW and Littman, who both concurred.

It was a indeed a brilliant marketing move in the wake of a lousy (from a marketing perspective) start to the off-season. I still can't believe TO is here, and here's to hoping he keeps the fans excited in the regular season. Brandon deserves credit especially for finding someone who won't be the Kelsay/Royal/DJ soundbite that we've been hearing for three years running.

[quote name='BillsVet' date='Aug 2 2009, 11:19 PM' post='149

IIRC, there were two dissenting votes within the inner circle against retaining DJ after the season finale. I'm guessing Modrak and Brandon wanted the guy gone, with the most important votes, RW and Littman, electing to keep the recently extended DJ. Brandon's been marketing this team for a decade and knew he couldn't attain the same season ticket levels without a drawing card. I still believe he was the impetus to signing TO, and pitched the idea to RW and Littman, who both concurred.

It was a indeed a brilliant marketing move in the wake of a lousy (from a marketing perspective) start to the off-season. I still can't believe TO is here, and here's to hoping he keeps the fans excited in the regular season. Brandon deserves credit especially for finding someone who won't be the Kelsay/Royal/DJ soundbite that we've been hearing for three years running.

As always (and as it should be) it all comes back to how the team does on the field. The team has a chance not seen since the Reed/Lofton/Thurman days of having an offensive attack tool. It is quite possible that the OL cannot give the QB enough time to exploit these weapons, but if the Evans/TO duo demand two dts and the Bills add further pass coverage pressure with a 3WR base set, they can force the D into a zone coverage which greatly diminishes the pass rush and allows Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes to run wild on the spread D.

If the coaches make this work we will be fine and if they cannot then they should get out of dodge.

As far as grading the FO, I'm going to tie my grades directly to the play of the tackles this year, for two reasons:

1) With all the offensive weapons and the decent defense we have, the play at the tackle spots will ultimately be THE difference between 4-12 and 10-6.

2) If Walker and Butler are glaring weaknesses this year, it will likely mean that at the end of the year we do not have a clear sense of whether Trent can be our franchise QB going forward. This will murk up our draft priorities.

3) Letting Peters go and then drafting two guards effectively blew up the line and put both Walker and Butler at new positions.

The success of the Peters-for-a-LT-already-on-the-roster idea points directly to the competence of the men in charge (especially since they have shown no interest in Levi Jones as a LT insurance policy). If they couldn't get this right, they deserve to be gone. If this gamble pays off, they obviously deserve more time to put the remaining pieces in place.