Wilfork may be a dirty player, but attitude wise...

zazie

How does Wood remind you of the greatest guard of all-time? What parallels could you possibly draw at this point in his career?

First, let me say that I'm loathe to compare players across eras. That is always a mistake. Secondly, nobody is predicting the same kind of greatness for Wood that Hannah possessed.

My comparison is simply based on the similarities I see regarding the mental aspect of the game. Their dedication to it. The nasitiness they bring/brought to the position, etc. When Hannah was a rookie I was amazed at how he finished plays. He pissed off a lot of defensive players. From linemen to safeties, if you were his assignment you got blown up. When he did get knocked down he always got back up to get back into the play. And he commonly blocked more than one guy on a given play. Not too many people pancaked Joe Greene or Dwight White of the Steelers. Hannah did that in his second year in the league in the same game.

Physically there really is no comparison. Hannah was shorter and 40 lbs. lighter. He blocked in a wishbone offense at Alabama and was VERY good at pulling and moving in space when he arrived in the NFL. Wood has a long way to go in that department, IMO.

But from an intelligence and desire standpoint, there are similarities at the same points in their respective careers.

GO BILLS!!!

First, let me say that I'm loathe to compare players across eras. That is always a mistake. Secondly, nobody is predicting the same kind of greatness for Wood that Hannah possessed.

My comparison is simply based on the similarities I see regarding the mental aspect of the game. Their dedication to it. The nasitiness they bring/brought to the position, etc. When Hannah was a rookie I was amazed at how he finished plays. He pissed off a lot of defensive players. From linemen to safeties, if you were his assignment you got blown up. When he did get knocked down he always got back up to get back into the play. And he commonly blocked more than one guy on a given play. Not too many people pancaked Joe Greene or Dwight White of the Steelers. Hannah did that in his second year in the league in the same game.

Physically there really is no comparison. Hannah was shorter and 40 lbs. lighter. He blocked in a wishbone offense at Alabama and was VERY good at pulling and moving in space when he arrived in the NFL. Wood has a long way to go in that department, IMO.

But from an intelligence and desire standpoint, there are similarities at the same points in their respective careers.

GO BILLS!!!

Sounds like you may be more than a casual observer of the game and the trenches--many thanks for the insight.....

I've mentioned it a couple times already but Wood is going to let Wilfork know in no uncertain terms that this isn't Fowler or Preston anymore. In Wood you have the offensive equivalent of Wilfork: he'll get downright nasty is he has to. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Wood were to get called for an unsportmanlike conduct penalty against the Pats in the opener.

Ironically, Wood reminds me most of a former Patriot, the great John Hannah.

GO BILLS!!!

Wow--that would be something!

I didn't watch much Louisville football, and if I did, I didn't pay much attention to the Center. What game or games led you to come to the conclusion that there is a similarity between Wood and Hannah?

Wow--that would be something!

I didn't watch much Louisville football, and if I did, I didn't pay much attention to the Center. What game or games led you to come to the conclusion that there is a similarity between Wood and Hannah?

See my response to Ice Cold Bruschi. No need to rehash it.

It's fun when offensive players, especially OLmen, bring the same kind of nasty attitude that defensive players bring. D players hate it when offensive guys go whistle to whistle. They're not used to it. Especially those away from the play. They tend to let up and can't stand it when guys like Wood keep hammering the until the refs blow the whistle.

GO BILLS!!!

I hate Wilfork as much as the next respectable human being, but I sure wish he was on our team. It seems these days you have to take the good with the bad. So he is a cheap shot, I admit it, but he is the type of player who wins games. He is approaching this situation like a man, and is working hard -- the opposite of Peters approach. If the Bills get a chance to get him on the same DL as Stroud, Schobel, and Maybin, I would be very pleased. And just like k-9 said, we need some nasty on this team.

Link

Wilfork did accept blame on his controversial hit against Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman last season that injured Losman's knee. Upon review of the play during his meeting with the commissioner, Wilfork admitted he didn't realize the ball had left Losman's hand as early as it did but said he had no intent to make a late hit, sources said. That play drew a $12,500 fine.

Wilfork saying he didn't realize it was a late hit is the same as Belicheat*saying he didn't know that videotaping was illegal.

When your coach is a pathological lier and cheater, what do you expect out of his star player? Besides, anyone watching the replay of the hit on Losman can see that Wilfork deliberately tried to whack his knee with his elbow, falling down (Wilfork falling) in a way that no person would ever do. When a person falls he always places is hands down and never tries to place his elbows down. Even if Losman would still have had the ball (and he didn't) Wilfork purposely tried to take out his knee with his elbow. Just imagine if a Bills player like Stroud would have done that to Brady and there was film of it like there is of Wilfork deliberately injuring Losman's knee. I don't want to even think what penalty Stroud would have gotten from Goodell. Its all who you are, who you know, and who you injure when Goodell rules on these things.

Wilfork saying he didn't realize it was a late hit is the same as Belicheat*saying he didn't know that videotaping was illegal.

When your coach is a pathological lier and cheater, what do you expect out of his star player? Besides, anyone watching the replay of the hit on Losman can see that Wilfork deliberately tried to whack his knee with his elbow, falling down (Wilfork falling) in a way that no person would ever do. When a person falls he always places is hands down and never tries to place his elbows down. Even if Losman would still have had the ball (and he didn't) Wilfork purposely tried to take out his knee with his elbow. Just imagine if a Bills player like Stroud would have done that to Brady and there was film of it like there is of Wilfork deliberately injuring Losman's knee. I don't want to even think what penalty Stroud would have gotten from Goodell. Its all who you are, who you know, and who you injure when Goodell rules on these things.

He took out JP... maybehe was trying to do us a favor LOL

He took out JP... maybehe was trying to do us a favor LOL

As much of a dirty hit that it was, what struck me more is that NOT ONE OLmen came to Losman's defense after that play. Nobody so much as got in Wilfork's face. That spoke volumes to me. Either every OLman was a p*ssy or none of them thought JP was worth sticking up for. Either way, it was a disgusting to me. They may as well have just told the Pats* they were going to lay down for the rest of the game.

I have a feeling those days are over with the arrival of Wood, Hangartner, and Levitre. My prediction holds: Wilfork gets his ass handed to him on national TV in the opener.

GO BILLS!!!

As much of a dirty hit that it was, what struck me more is that NOT ONE OLmen came to Losman's defense after that play. Nobody so much as got in Wilfork's face. That spoke volumes to me. Either every OLman was a p*ssy or none of them thought JP was worth sticking up for. Either way, it was a disgusting to me. They may as well have just told the Pats* they were going to lay down for the rest of the game.

I have a feeling those days are over with the arrival of Wood, Hangartner, and Levitre. My prediction holds: Wilfork gets his ass handed to him on national TV in the opener.

GO BILLS!!!

While I hope what you are saying comes to pass with respect to OL nastiness, I worry that DJ is instilling a 'play fair' and 'play as gentlemen' philosophy in the players. Playing fair is fine, but if they want to play nice the players should take up tennis or cricket instead. On the football field, the game is played physically and psychologically and nothing like a couple of slams to the turf to gain an upper hand in the battle. If the middle of the OL is aggressive by nature, play that aspect up. Let them do their thing in intimidating their opponents - Wilfork or others. As with JP, don't try to make them play against their natural instincts.

While I hope what you are saying comes to pass with respect to OL nastiness, I worry that DJ is instilling a 'play fair' and 'play as gentlemen' philosophy in the players. Playing fair is fine, but if they want to play nice the players should take up tennis or cricket instead. On the football field, the game is played physically and psychologically and nothing like a couple of slams to the turf to gain an upper hand in the battle. If the middle of the OL is aggressive by nature, play that aspect up. Let them do their thing in intimidating their opponents - Wilfork or others. As with JP, don't try to make them play against their natural instincts.

I hear you. But I wouldn't sweat what DJ is teching. Jauron instills a 'take no stupid penalty' philosophy. Like the one Preston took at the end of the first half at home against NE. He certainly isn't teaching a 'gentlemen's game.' They got those three interior lineman for a reason, to handle the 3-4 NTs they see in the division. They are all agressive by nature. Jauron will do nothing to stifle that. Even so, if someone cheapshots your QB you go after the guy who did it, regardless of the coaches getting pissed. And while that conflicts with the 'no stupid penalties' philosophy, sometimes it has to be done to send the other team a message.

We'll be sending lots of such messages this season as DLines will test the new OL interior until they prove they can handle it. When Wood goes Dobler all over Wilfork it will be the first salvo shot across the bow of the rest of the division's 3-4 NTs.

GO BILLS!!!