A Question about LB "Names" in the Tampa 2

Peevo

It seems every other week I read about the SAM LB from this team going to be the WILL for this team. Just from the lettering, I would venture to guess that SAM refers to the strong side, will is the weak, and mike would be the middle. It makes sense, but where did this come from?

Is it strictly in the Cover 2 that these names are commonplace or is it generally accepted among all different kinds of defenses? Its one of those puzzling things about football that seems so common now, yet 2 or 3 years ago, I wouldn't ever hear anyone talking about SAM, WILL, or MIKE.

Thoughts guys/girls?

It seems every other week I read about the SAM LB from this team going to be the WILL for this team. Just from the lettering, I would venture to guess that SAM refers to the strong side, will is the weak, and mike would be the middle. It makes sense, but where did this come from?

Is it strictly in the Cover 2 that these names are commonplace or is it generally accepted among all different kinds of defenses? Its one of those puzzling things about football that seems so common now, yet 2 or 3 years ago, I wouldn't ever hear anyone talking about SAM, WILL, or MIKE.

Thoughts guys/girls?

I'm pretty sure they were the Pips for Gladys Knight.

GO BILLS!!!

It seems every other week I read about the SAM LB from this team going to be the WILL for this team. Thoughts guys/girls?

The Sam LB is actually named after Sam Huff, the Mike is for Singletary and the Will is for William (Pudge) Heffelfinger. I realize that only KRC will recognize Heffelfinger, but you should know the other two.

and now you know the rest of the story

The Sam LB is actually named after Sam Huff, the Mike is for Singletary and the Will is for William (Pudge) Heffelfinger. I realize that only KRC will recognize Heffelfinger, but you should know the other two.

See, that makes sense and I didn't know that at all! Ironic that such legendary players had names that started with the letters of their position as well, but that's football.

I call bullsh*T. Everybody knows Heffelfinger was a famous proctologist. It's rumored that he got his nickname, PUDGE, from a (very) disgruntled patient.

GO BILLS!!!

You're all so helpful.

Sam: strongside LB (lines up on side of TE)

Mike: middle LB

Will: weakside LB

I prefer my view of reality, but if what you are saying is true, the the S in Sam stands for Strong side, the W in W in Will stands for Weak side and the M in Mike stands for Middle? That is an interesting theory, but Heffelfinger should be mentioned in the conversation.

I call bullsh*T. Everybody knows Heffelfinger was a famous proctologist. It's rumored that he got his nickname, PUDGE, from a (very) disgruntled patient.

GO BILLS!!!

:wallbash: actually he would have been a gruntled patient. Very gruntled if you catch my drift!

I prefer my view of reality, but if what you are saying is true, the the S in Sam stands for Strong side, the W in W in Will stands for Weak side and the M in Mike stands for Middle? That is an interesting theory, but Heffelfinger should be mentioned in the conversation.

Only when mentioning the Greg 'backer, seeing that Pudge was a guard.

Only when mentioning the Greg 'backer, seeing that Pudge was a guard.

Finally. A reference to the CFL where linebacker positions are known as the Gordie, Howie, Dunc, and Greg. I forget the other four, but when you have 14 guys playing defense it gets a little confusing at times.

GO BILLS!!!

GO Stampeders!

The Sam, Will, Mike names are familiar to me from an era that predates Singletary, so I'm pretty sure it's strong, weak, middle.

Props to BB for pulling out the Heffelfinger reference. :rolleyes:

Football trivia: Heffelfinger was the first professional football player (at least, documented pro). Ben "Sport" Donnelly was second. His name was listed below Heffelfinger's in the accounting sheet for the game (see nine rows down on the Accounting Sheet Link below), therefore Donnelly was the second documented pro.

Accounting Sheet for November 12, 1892

The Nelson Ross Manuscript