Has anyone been to a non-Buffalo Training Camp

Thoner7

I live in Rochester and make it to camp every year. Anyone who has been Im sure has noticed how laid back, non-full speed, and how much standing around there is. They have two nice grass fields plus the Fisher turf, yet while the special teamers do walk through Kick off returns, the other 70 guys stand around and watch for 10-15 mins. I realize with NFL caliber athletes it should be mostly mental, but I just dont think this coaching staff works these guys hard enough to win games.

Anyone who has played sports knows you play how you practice. The way the Bills practice (half speed) I can see clearly why we are in this playoff drought.

Has anyone ever been to a good teams camp? Like the Steelers, Colts, or Pats? If the Bills want to beat those teams they need to out work them. I could only imagine the intesity at 49er camp this year under Iron Mike. From what I have seen at camp over the DJ years, I have to believe the Bills work half as hard as those successful teams. Hell, my HS Football team had 10x harder practices. Can anyone compare their camp experiences?

I live in Rochester and make it to camp every year. Anyone who has been Im sure has noticed how laid back, non-full speed, and how much standing around there is. They have two nice grass fields plus the Fisher turf, yet while the special teamers do walk through Kick off returns, the other 70 guys stand around and watch for 10-15 mins. I realize with NFL caliber athletes it should be mostly mental, but I just dont think this coaching staff works these guys hard enough to win games.

Anyone who has played sports knows you play how you practice. The way the Bills practice (half speed) I can see clearly why we are in this playoff drought.

Has anyone ever been to a good teams camp? Like the Steelers, Colts, or Pats? If the Bills want to beat those teams they need to out work them. I could only imagine the intesity at 49er camp this year under Iron Mike. From what I have seen at camp over the DJ years, I have to believe the Bills work half as hard as those successful teams. Hell, my HS Football team had 10x harder practices. Can anyone compare their camp experiences?

I am headed on a trip to see the Jets in Cortland...then continuing down to Albany to see the Giants.

So I will let you know.

The only other camp I've seen is the Giants in Albany. It's not too bad, nowhere near the same type of atmosphere though. They don't let you get as close to the players as they do with the Bills, but if you can get a bleacher seat you can see everything from a semi-comfortable distance.

The only other camp I've seen is the Giants in Albany. It's not too bad, nowhere near the same type of atmosphere though. They don't let you get as close to the players as they do with the Bills, but if you can get a bleacher seat you can see everything from a semi-comfortable distance.

What about the actual practice though? Is it more intense/rigorous than a Bills practice? Every SJF Camp I have been to is so lackadaisical I really am stunned. I want to see how the other (winning) side does it.

What about the actual practice though? Is it more intense/rigorous than a Bills practice? Every SJF Camp I have been to is so lackadaisical I really am stunned. I want to see how the other (winning) side does it.

They do more scrimmage work for the Bills, thats for sure. Maybe half an hour of position practice then it's 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 depending on what time you go.

Iv'e been to Disney to watch the Bucs. I got there a little late, and it was so HOT, that they called practice as soon as I showed up. My son was able to get one autograph. So, I really can not compare except to say that it felt like we were on the sun.

I've been on the sidelines at Stillers camp in the past but I've never been to Bills camp before so it's tough to compare. There's always some standing around at any practice depending on what units are working at any given time, but from your description it sounds like the Bills camp is a lot more laid back. Down in Latrobe/StVincent those boys are absolutely kicking the spit out of each other.

I have been to Bills camps only once since DJ has been here, that was the first day of camp, summer 2007. I was amazed at how slow paced it was. I chalked most of that up to it being the first practices...but since then, it seems like everyone who covers Bills camp, observes how relaxed they are.

I am embarassed to say, I have seen the Falcons a few times, and I have been to see the Cowboys numerous times, over the last 20 years. Back in their 90's heyday, their training camp was, literally, about a half mile from my house. The players on those teams loved the attention they got in Austin, and were always very accomodating with autograph seekers, even guys like Aikman and Emmitt. As for the practices, they were pretty fast paced, and there just always seemed to be more going on on the field, than what I saw of the Bills. Even was Dave Campo was in charge, they seemed to practice a little more intensely than what I have seen of the Bills. I havent' seen them since Wade has been in charge.

I can't recall, but I don't think the Bills have done the inter-squad scrimmages the last few years, have they? I know the Browns, and the Packers declined agreements with the Bills in recent years. Is that the case, or am I wrong? The reason I say this, the Cowboys have always scrimmaged against the Raiders or Broncos, multiple times during training camps, and I think it really raises the level of the players energy sometimes. Of course, if the team talent sucks (see Campos 3-peat 5-11 Cowboys teams) all the hitting in the world isn't going to do much. But, back when the Cowboys were contenders, I went to their inter-squad scrimmages against the Raiders, and they were ugly affairs, with lots of extra hard hitting, and skirmishes on the field. I understand the idea of not beating up your players too much in training camp (and it worked out pretty well for Marv Levy). And as much as I hated the Cowboys, I always came away from their practices feeling like I had seen a great football team.

Jimmy Johnson made a habit of letting his sure roster vets relax a little, to be sure, from time to time, but the kids who were fighting to make the roster, practiced hard.

ya know... this thread has got me thinking.

i should head up and catch a Falcons camp sometime. never thought about comparing other teams' camps before, probably because ive never considered going to another teams' camp before.

I just love football...I go to high shcool games, sometimes, if I have a down Thursday or Friday night...actually got to see Drew Brees when he played at Westlake...I haven't been to Falcons camp recently, but my brother, also a big football nut (one of the only things we have in common) lives in Atlanta. They used to practice in Suwanee, back in the Glanville era...

I just love football...I go to high shcool games, sometimes, if I have a down Thursday or Friday night...actually got to see Drew Brees when he played at Westlake...I haven't been to Falcons camp recently, but my brother, also a big football nut (one of the only things we have in common) lives in Atlanta. They used to practice in Suwanee, back in the Glanville era...

i hear ya! ive gone to high school games in Florida and a handful since ive been in Georgia. a friend covers high school ball for the AJC. the game is amazing down here. we made the observation a while ago that, ever since the "modern league" has come around, college ball has stepped up to where the NFL used to be, and high school ball is like watching old college ball.

Training camp isn't for conditioning anymore, that's why two-a-days are rapidly disappearing.

Two-a-days aren't held as much for additional conditioning as they are for additional preparation time. One of the two practices is usually altered anyway. One might be a walkthrough with just shells and shorts.

Two-a-days aren't held as much for additional conditioning as they are for additional preparation time. One of the two practices is usually altered anyway. One might be a walkthrough with just shells and shorts.

20 years ago, they used to have 20+ two-a-days to get players in shape. The NFL average was 8 a few years ago, and is going down pretty fast. Players are in shape almost year round.

Ross Tucker did a pretty good article on them, he says all they do is tire players out.

This is actually a really interesting topic. I'd like to hear more about how other camps compare to the bills camp.

I did attend a bills practice last year and found it somewhat boring, but you gotta keep in mind, they're spending alot of attention widdling down the roster. Sometimes I get the feeling that too many guys that are on the bubble take up more time than the first team attention.

Thoughts?

20 years ago, they used to have 20+ two-a-days to get players in shape. The NFL average was 8 a few years ago, and is going down pretty fast. Players are in shape almost year round.

Ross Tucker did a pretty good article on them, he says all they do is tire players out.

I'm not disputing the fact that two-a-days have largely become a thing of the past.