Last time the Bills faced Tom Brady, 10-56

Tom Brady hits 5 TD passes, four to Randy Moss and another to Benjamin Watson. Lawrence Maroney and Kyle Eckle (?) run it over. Ellis Hobbs returns a fumble for icing. Pats get 30 1st downs in 60 minutes , and gain 510 yards.

NFL versus Pop Warner. Belichick crucified for running up the score.

What's different in 2009?

I say we do better because the team will be coming in fired up for the first game of the year on national television. Now calling it a win is a little optimistic but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

I'm going to predict a final score of 35-17 Patriots. I think we keep it close in the first half and Fred Jackson has a big game, but ultimately our defense will not be able to shut down Brady and co. all game long, and they have a big second half. I look for a big game from Freddy and Dominic Rhodes though.

In terms of starters (and regular rotation) not mentioned previously,

Tripplett, Crowell and Greer (and now DiGiorgio) are gone on defense.

Gaines, Royal, Fowler, Dockery and Peters have departed on offense.

Stroud is obviously a BIG improvement.

Otherwise...

I was at that game. They flexed it so it was a sunday nighter. Those extra hours of beer drinking actually had me convinced by game time that the Bills could pull off the upset.

Early in the second quarter, it was 28-7 I believe. Quick way to get rid of your buzz, I tell ya.

Roscoe Parrish made an amazing catch for the Bills' only touchdown that game. That guy has got untapped skills. He is right...they need to use him more.

I have a good feeling about the first game for some reason....

I think it will be closer than some people think.

Will be surprised if the Bills do win but at the same time I would not be shocked :wallbash:

I agree, and am trying to view the game WITHOUT WEARING the "Homer" goggles. There was another thread in which someone posted thoughts about the Pats* defense. The D-Line is terrifying. That much is unarguable. But their LBs? They were playing during the Eisenhower Administration, weren't they? And their secondary is.....well, per Tim Graham, anyway......"pedestrian".

As such, I guess it comes down to the the Pats* pass rush. If they can bring it against the Bills' O-line, bad night for Buffalo. But if that line holds. my money's on Evans and Owens against the Pats* CBs. My money's on Reed and Parrish out of the slot against the Pats* geriatric LB corps. (Does anyone in Pats*-land REALLY think Bruschi is going to be be able to catch Parrish's first move ? Seriously? Good for Tedy. I honestly wonder if he'd be kept on another team).

I'm not ready to write the game off. I know everyone's 0-0, and everything's bubbling with optimism in preseason. Looking at it rationally, however, it's not as gloomy as it has been for the past few years.

Tom Brady hits 5 TD passes, four to Randy Moss and another to Benjamin Watson. Lawrence Maroney and Kyle Eckle (?) run it over. Ellis Hobbs returns a fumble for icing. Pats get 30 1st downs in 60 minutes , and gain 510 yards.

the year

funny thing is..that game wasn't even that close. Coulda been 80-0. I don't ever remember seeing such a mismatch.

For one thing, Tom Brady was in his prime and wasn't coming off a season ending injury the year before. Another factor is an improved passing game (adding Terrell Owens is a big improvement, no matter how empty your glass is). Finally, the Pats are an older team now and I really do believe that this is the year that their defense and possibly their O-line start showing some wear and tear.

The Pats are still good, but not great anymore. Bills win in a close upset. :beer: