Re-Post Direct TV Subscribers - Easy Instructions on Discounting

I really intended to cancel yesterday when i called. Got $120 off but he didn't move on the Super Fan thing. Should I take another run at them for that?

Yes, I would. It's a crock that they offer to everyone else but not you. Go for it.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to call and give it a shot even though I've been with DirecTV since '96 and have received more than my share of deals. I spent a good amount of time trying to get a supervisor to explain to me why I am paying extra to get the NFL in HD when I already pay for HD programming. He explained I get all these extra features with SuperFan, and I argued that I don't want that all the extra features, I just want HD. He said you can't get HD programming without SuperFan, to which I argued that I'm already paying for HD programming and I feel like I'm getting double-dipped here because they have a monopoly on the programming to which he explained that they have to charge us more because the NFL makes them charge us more. :huh:

He offered to take $5 off a month for the next six months, and I continued to argue that I'm still getting fleeced. The downside to my position is that I wasn't prepared to threaten to cancel SuperFan because, quite honestly, when I did that last year they went ahead and cancelled it, and when the season started I just couldn't stand watching the games in regular format, so I had to re-up.

One of these days DirecTV will lose their grip on NFL Sunday Ticket. I can only wait until that happens.

I decided to call and give it a shot even though I've been with DirecTV since '96 and have received more than my share of deals. I spent a good amount of time trying to get a supervisor to explain to me why I am paying extra to get the NFL in HD when I already pay for HD programming. He explained I get all these extra features with SuperFan, and I argued that I don't want that all the extra features, I just want HD. He said you can't get HD programming without SuperFan, to which I argued that I'm already paying for HD programming and I feel like I'm getting double-dipped here because they have a monopoly on the programming to which he explained that they have to charge us more because the NFL makes them charge us more. :huh:

He offered to take $5 off a month for the next six months, and I continued to argue that I'm still getting fleeced. The downside to my position is that I wasn't prepared to threaten to cancel SuperFan because, quite honestly, when I did that last year they went ahead and cancelled it, and when the season started I just couldn't stand watching the games in regular format, so I had to re-up.

One of these days DirecTV will lose their grip on NFL Sunday Ticket. I can only wait until that happens.

Doesn't sound like you were talking with the customer retention folks. You can get there by just saying "cancel sunday ticket" to the automated prompt. Just asking for a manager gets you nowhere.

I've been a customer since '99, and they've always given me perks. Like I said earlier in this thread, I asked if they could give me a deal, he asked what I wanted, I told him free Superfan and $20 off/6 months, and he said, "I can do that for you."

A friend of mine (who has only been a customer for 6-8 months) did the same thing - no problem. We never had to say we were going to cancel either (other than to the automated phone prompt in order to get to retention).

It worked for getting your HD TiVo, and it'll work for this too :)

CW

Great News. I did the whole cancel sunday ticket thing last night. They cancelled it and offered no deal. Now I dont have the ticket for my early bird rate. Any suggestions other than to just call and subscribe?

Tyson

Great News. I did the whole cancel sunday ticket thing last night. They cancelled it and offered no deal. Now I dont have the ticket for my early bird rate. Any suggestions other than to just call and subscribe?

Tyson

Yeah, grow some balls and tell them you want your subscription back and you are only willing to pay $150 for the entire package.

Tyson

:huh::):devil:

After having Directv offer me superfan for free, my first bill shower it didn't happen. I call and complained. They offered me the same deal $20 less a month. She figured out my bill and I was happy. $$$ taken out of checking account this week was less than what we figured. Good deal. have had superfan free for the last 2 years.

OK my regular DTV monthly Bill is $187.05 :w00t:

Called and received a 20.00 credit for six months for ST and another $10.00 credit for twelve months for free HD access.

What the heck do you have that you're paying $187 on a REGULAR bill?!?!?!?

Or is that with Sunday ticket and such?

What the heck do you have that you're paying $187 on a REGULAR bill?!?!?!?

Or is that with Sunday ticket and such?

MLB, NHL--(No current charges)

HD Access--$10.00

HD Extra--$4.99

DTV DVR Service--Lifetime = Free

Total Choice Plus--$57.99

HBO, SHO & Sports--$36.00

NFL SD--$44.99

NFL SF--$16.50

Valkyrie 1080p--$5.99

Tax--10.59

Total= $187.05

MLB, NHL--(No current charges)

HD Access--$10.00

HD Extra--$4.99

DTV DVR Service--Lifetime = Free

Total Choice Plus--$57.99

HBO, SHO & Sports--$36.00

NFL SD--$44.99

NFL SF--$16.50

Valkyrie 1080p--$5.99

Tax--10.59

Total= $187.05

Ok, that makes more sense - a PPV, NFL stuff, as well as a ton of movie channels. I'm not sure what "HD Extra" is though, do you?

Ok, that makes more sense - a PPV, NFL stuff, as well as a ton of movie channels. I'm not sure what "HD Extra" is though, do you?

Pretty sure it's about 8-10 more HD channels that only broadcast in HD. i.e. Smithsonian, HDNet, etc. I'm paying it too and have those channels, so I'm assumin' it's for them.

Doesn't sound like you were talking with the customer retention folks. You can get there by just saying "cancel sunday ticket" to the automated prompt. Just asking for a manager gets you nowhere.

I've been a customer since '99, and they've always given me perks. Like I said earlier in this thread, I asked if they could give me a deal, he asked what I wanted, I told him free Superfan and $20 off/6 months, and he said, "I can do that for you."

A friend of mine (who has only been a customer for 6-8 months) did the same thing - no problem. We never had to say we were going to cancel either (other than to the automated phone prompt in order to get to retention).

It worked for getting your HD TiVo, and it'll work for this too :thumbsup:

CW

I did the same thing...dropped my payments from 44.95 to 24.95...plus FREE superfan! Woo hooo!