Besides the wide right play, what 1 play would you like to change from

SKOOBY

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty straight-forward question, what one play would you change from the past if you could?? (Besides wide-right)

Music City Miracle....We would have probably gone to the Super bowl instead of the Titans.

Pretty straight-forward question, what one play would you change from the past if you could?? (Besides wide-right)

1. Bruce Smith phantom facemask - Cinn Championship game

2. Ronnie Harmon not dragging his feet

3. 3rd and 17 - SBXXV

4, Thurman fumble - SB XXVIII

5. (Non Bills game)Marvin Jones hit on Bledsoe

6. (Non Bills) Mark Brunnel getting hurt leading to Rob Johnsons only good game

7. Fergie stepping out of his shoe in the playoffs

The play where Kevin Everett was paralyzed, or any play where a player was killed or seriously injured/

+1

Although, in a perfect world, without injuries, I go with the 2005 Kick Return from McGee that lasted about 40 seconds and got us down to the opp 2 yard line just as the clock ran out on the first half. :oops:

I know, peanuts, but that play made me go berserk.

1. Bruce Smith phantom facemask - Cinn Championship game

2. Ronnie Harmon not dragging his feet

3. 3rd and 17 - SBXXV

4, Thurman fumble - SB XXVIII

5. (Non Bills game)Marvin Jones hit on Bledsoe

6. (Non Bills) Mark Brunnel getting hurt leading to Rob Johnsons only good game

7. Fergie stepping out of his shoe in the playoffs

:oops: That play nailed the coffin on the Bills hopes of finally winning one of those damn things... sort of the one play (along with the aftermath of Thurman burying his head on the sidelines) epitomizes the "dark side" of those great Super Bowl teams. The Bills were playing fairly well at that point...but their miscues let the Cowboys back in, and they smelt the blood of their mentally fragile opponent.

Super Bowl 25 had, in my mind, 4 plays that might have changed the outcome of the game:

1- SBXXV- Bruce Smith grabbing Jeff Hostettlers' wrist, trying to shake the ball loose, in the end zone, during Super Bowl 25. It was great to get a safety (the first in Super Bowl history IIRC), but if Hoss had coughed that thing up, and the Bills get a touchdown, and it might never have come down to Norwoods' kick... :oops:

2- SBXXV- after a fluke catch by James Lofton, deep in Giant territory, early in game, the Bills have to settle for a field goal.

3- SBXXV- early in the third quarter, Giants have the ball around the Bills 35 yard line, 3rd and 14. Hostetler throws a 5 or 6 yard pass to Mark Ingram, who proceeds to break about 5 tackles to fight for a first down...the Giants proceed to run about 9:30 off the clock, and get the go ahead touchdown. :lol:

4- Wide right...enough said.... <_<

5- Super Bowl XXVIII- the Bills, again, have to settle for a field goal, at the end of the first half, deep in Cowboys territory....they had the ball on the Cowboys 12 yard line, and seemed to be playing for the field goal, rather than a touchdown... signs of Dick Jauron? It was kind of inexplicable... a friend of mine, who I was wathching with, said "that is going to come back to haunt them"...I don't know that it cost them the game, but the Bills went from looking confident, and in control, to scared to make mistakes... which, I think, led to Thurmans' overreaction to his fumbles... the team was too tight... can't say that I blame them, after all they had been through, but as the Fabulous Sports Babe used to say "you have to score more points.." :P

Ronnie Harmon dropped pass in end zone vs the Browns in the end zone at the Dog Pound during the playoffs

Fergies last interception during the San Diego playoff game .

Music city miracle... that play still does not look like a lateral too me .

But the play when Everett got hurt is the one play I wish never happened. Period.

Starting a new football league in the middle of a recession. Not too bright, are we.

could of.. I dont think so though

I agree that it is flawed logic which leads an individual to believe that. There's no way we win the next 2 games with either RJ or ole Doug Flutini. Only if our defense became legendary. They were good though, but our offensive line was decimated at that point. Not to mention that our rushing attack in those days was severely underwhelming.

The play where Kevin Everett was paralyzed, or any play where a player was killed or seriously injured/

Agreed! But if we're removing those plays from the equation then the run back throw forward would be the one, but that was just hideous officiating. If that play had happened in Buffalo it would have ruled illegal. The ref just wanted to be able to leave the stadium with his skin intact.

Ronnie Harmon dropped pass in end zone vs the Browns in the end zone at the Dog Pound during the playoffs

But the play when Everett got hurt is the one play I wish never happened. Period.

Good God I hated Ronnie Harmon (As a player). I seem to recall him being an east west runner who would go back and forth until he was tackled behind the line. It reminded me of ducks in a carnival duck shoot. He was a much better receiver but his running style gave me high blood pressure and I was only in my early 20's! :oops:

I won't start the eternal debate, but I still think that was the most perfectly thrown ball - it was EXACTLY perpendicular to the sideline. Wasn't there an RIT physics professor who explained that it wasn't a lateral, due to the way the field was crowned, etc.?

I agree that it is flawed logic which leads an individual to believe that. There's no way we win the next 2 games with either RJ or ole Doug Flutini. Only if our defense became legendary. They were good though, but our offensive line was decimated at that point. Not to mention that our rushing attack in those days was severely underwhelming.

The defense was phenomenal that year. In order to get to the SB, they would have had to beat Indy and then Jacksonville on the road. As good as the D was - and we would've likely seen RJ start, too - I don't think they would have beaten Indy.

There are plenty of plays I want back, but a few that haven't been mentioned:

1. Flutie to Reed in Miami during the '98 playoffs. Reed looked like he got into the end zone and (I'll argue to this day) was just getting up to get back to the line of scrimmage when he ran into the ref and got a cheap 15-yard penalty.

2. "Just give it to 'em" (the 4th down pass to the sidelines)

3. Kelly being picked in the '96 playoffs against Jax. Bills were up 10-0 (I think) at that point and steamrolling the Jags when the DL picked off a screen pass and ran it in.

4th & goal, late 4th quarter, Bills @ Cincy, Divisional Round playoff, January 1982. Fergies beautifully laid pass bounced off Cribbs' head in the endzone...... :oops:

Same game. I was there. The f^%$ delay of game penalty that took away the 1st down!!!

The play that looms larger (or should) in Bills history is the one from Superbowl XXV that permanently took the (as Hank Bullough would say) "sail out of the winds" for the Bills.

No doubt that if that Superbowl XXV play, 3rd and forever, where Mark Ingram breaks approximately 13 near and missed tackles to gain a first down, thereby keeping a scoring drive alive, Norwood never would have been forced into a position of having to kick a field goal. Normally dependable tacklerss, Talley and Kelso, as well as a few others, looked like they were out of gas on that play. It kept the drive alive, and led to an eventual TD by the Giants, putting them in position to need only a field goal to take the lead once and forever.

Assuming everything else had gone approximately the same way in that game, the Bills might have been able to run out the clock at the end, instead of pinning their hopes on a 47 yard kick. The score might have been 19-16, with Thurman Thomas named as MVP of superbowl XXV, and Jim Kelly and Ralph holding the Lombardi Trophy.

I still believe that the Bills, with just slightly better clock management during that final drive, could have gotten one more play off, possibly getting a little closer to the goalposts. I don't remember (too painful), but didn't Kelly spike the ball to stop the clock? Maybe they (coaches) were afraid of an interception or losing yards on a sack, but I would have liked to see a quick, high percentage sideline pass, that if successful, gets them closer, if not, stops the clock.

But that is the play, more than any other that has kept the Bills from having a "W" in the superbowl column.