The '09 Bills will be the FIRST team...

we're the first to report because we play in the first pre season game

That is probably a factor. Even so, the Titans will report 6 days after the Bills. I suppose it's not as critical for a team with a more stable roster and established system though.

to open training camp. I like to see that. I recall the Bills always being among the last teams to get to camp. Hope the extra work pays off.

That is actiual;ly bad news; if we are first to report by a full 6 days, imagine how many days off DJ will give the team as a "reward" for hard work (aren't these guys getting paid to be there, isn't that the reward?)? We will have a big gap between training camp and preseason. Reward time for Chris Kelsay, he put the pads on and ran around like crazy, and his locker room prowess is legendary. He doesn't need more practice...

to open training camp. I like to see that. I recall the Bills always being among the last teams to get to camp. Hope the extra work pays off.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I agree -- great to see the team getting to an early start and so on. I just hate to see pre-season injuries and starting the work early statistically increases the odds of additional injuries. Not that that will necessarily happen, but it does increase the odds. But, injuries are part of the game and the silver lining to any injury is that the team develops depth, but it really sucks when a bright prospect goes down for the entire season in some stupid play in practice. I guess that's just part of the game, though.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I agree -- great to see the team getting to an early start and so on. I just hate to see pre-season injuries and starting the work early statistically increases the odds of additional injuries. Not that that will necessarily happen, but it does increase the odds. But, injuries are part of the game and the silver lining to any injury is that the team develops depth, but it really sucks when a bright prospect goes down for the entire season in some stupid play in practice. I guess that's just part of the game, though.

I understand your point, but, with the way the last two seasons have gone, injury wise, you could appreciate the fact that the "back-ups", who will likely become starters sooner than later, will have one extra week of pretend football, to get ready....

That is probably a factor. Even so, the Titans will report 6 days after the Bills. I suppose it's not as critical for a team with a more stable roster and established system though.

that's weird. NFL rules state that teams can't open training camp until 15 days before their 1st preseason game...most teams follow that rule to the letter and open exactly 15 days prior to their 1st game. Sometimes they might wait a day or two, like if their 1st game is a Thursday...but 6 days? wow

it doesnt matter if Jauron is going to continue to have camp cupcake

i'd be more interested to see how many two-a-days and the like we have to build some team stamina

This "we need to practice more and harder" argument is very similar to the "we need a coach who yells and screams more" argument.

As some of us remember, when Marv Levy was taking us to four straight Super Bowls his training camps were dubbed "Club Marv," a reference to the Club Med upscale resort chain. Marv (and many coaches since him) believed that it was the quality of the practice, not the quantity, which made a team successful.

Jauron's mediocre record as Bills coach allows his detractors to criticize everything about his coaching. But if he fails as a coach it's because of his game day decisions and because he and his staff are often out-strategized, not because the team is soft.

This "we need to practice more and harder" argument is very similar to the "we need a coach who yells and screams more" argument.

As some of us remember, when Marv Levy was taking us to four straight Super Bowls his training camps were dubbed "Club Marv," a reference to the Club Med upscale resort chain. Marv (and many coaches since him) believed that it was the quality of the practice, not the quantity, which made a team successful.

Jauron's mediocre record as Bills coach allows his detractors to criticize everything about his coaching. But if he fails as a coach it's because of his game day decisions and because he and his staff are often out-strategized, not because the team is soft.

Nice post! Save the "Remeber the Titans" crap for highschool. Training camp in the NFL is more about the Xs and Os of the game. The players are coming into camp in phenominal shape, and it's news when somebody isn't. The coachs want to see the players practice hard and STAY HEALTHY. Given the amount of pre-season football they have to endure, it is foolish to destroy them in practice as well.

Bottom line: Every healthy player will be in game shape by the season opener, and the coachs will have seen enough to set their depth charts.

The preseason is also a time for coaching practice. Our coaches need practice.

Here's another take on MArv and his "adult' approach to practice--it's from Easterbrook way back in 2001 when he was talking about HOF politics and the Bills in particular:

But there's a nagging feeling even among Levy admirers that he didn't just lose those Super Bowls, he blew them. On the point that the farther you go in the playoffs, the more important game plans and coaching psychology become, Levy faltered badly. His game plans were notoriously generic, causing him to be seriously out-game-planned in Super Bowls against the Giants and Chesapeake Watershed Region Indigenous Persons. The week of all four numeral events, Levy held light, no-pads walk-throughs while the opposition was hitting in practice and getting into an ill temper. Purists found Levy's nonchalant approach to Super Bowl preparation inexplicable. And he never imposed Super Bowl week curfews, saying that as adults his players could be trusted to be in bed.

But most NFL players aren't adults. They are prolonged adolescents with trebled testosterone levels and pockets stuffed with too many C-notes. During Super Bowl week, celebrity chasers and groupies flock to the site city and are a huge temptation on the club scene. For its big games, the Bills were plagued by a player element that was out to all hours—LB Darryl Talley got into a bar fight at 3 a.m. a few nights before one Super Bowl—and performed hungover as a result. (Worried about Tampa's notoriously uninhibited strip clubs, which TMQ views as essential to protecting our sacred First Amendment freedoms, Giants coach Jim Fassel welcomed his players to the Super Bowl city by reading them the details of the local lap-dancing ordinance!) Considering how stacked the early-'90s Bills were, the roster at one point boasting a stunning 16 Pro Bowl players, or three-quarters of the starters, a volunteer from the audience should have been able to win at least one Super Bowl coaching that team.

Ouch. I read "Boys Wills Be Boys"--the Cowboys dynasty years account. More of the same regarding the difference between the Bills mentality and the Boys going into those games. Also, more details of the Talley fight (where Thurman and Kelley just stood there as Talley got decked).

Thing is WEO, you're getting into a lot of other issues here. I was addressing two a days and the toughness of the practices. I also said Jauron was getting outcoached pregame and ingame and it was this that was costing us games, not the toughness of the players.

The stuff on Marv addresses him getting outcoached and it also addresses the curfew issue. The Bills were outcoached and out-talented in those Super Bowls.

But they were not a soft team. And I don't believe that our current edition is soft either, nor do I believe that training camp is a means of beating the players into a bloody pulp.

Guest dog14787
Nice post! Save the "Remeber the Titans" crap for highschool. Training camp in the NFL is more about the Xs and Os of the game. The players are coming into camp in phenominal shape, and it's news when somebody isn't. The coachs want to see the players practice hard and STAY HEALTHY. Given the amount of pre-season football they have to endure, it is foolish to destroy them in practice as well.

Bottom line: Every healthy player will be in game shape by the season opener, and the coachs will have seen enough to set their depth charts.

In my opinion the younger the team, the more practice you need to get to were you want to be. Good quality of practice just makes you that much better because practice is also about the mental aspect of the game. The more Reps in practice for rookies, the more accustomed they will be to the offense or defense when called upon to step up and perform.

I can understand why a veteran team would need less practice which we are not, but comparing more practice to more screaming in your face, well, I'll let the statement speak for itself.

Practice makes perfect and the Buffalo Bills execution last year was anything but perfect.

That is actiual;ly bad news; if we are first to report by a full 6 days, imagine how many days off DJ will give the team as a "reward" for hard work (aren't these guys getting paid to be there, isn't that the reward?)? We will have a big gap between training camp and preseason. Reward time for Chris Kelsay, he put the pads on and ran around like crazy, and his locker room prowess is legendary. He doesn't need more practice...

They break camp during the pre-season...

We should have three games during camp and two outside of camp.