How bad would Maybin had to be.....

I only ask this because rotoworld cited a Fox Sports article saying the following:

The Bills reportedly have "backup plans" to convert Aaron Maybin to linebacker if he proves to light at defensive end during the season.

The first-rounder has played to mixed reviews during the summer. It sounds like any move to linebacker would be a last resort. We're guessing that wouldn't happen until next offseason.

Why would you draft a guy if you are so not convinced of his abilities at DE that you have to create a BACKUP plan?

I only ask this because rotoworld cited a Fox Sports article saying the following:

The Bills reportedly have "backup plans" to convert Aaron Maybin to linebacker if he proves to light at defensive end during the season.

The first-rounder has played to mixed reviews during the summer. It sounds like any move to linebacker would be a last resort. We're guessing that wouldn't happen until next offseason.

Why would you draft a guy if you are so not convinced of his abilities at DE that you have to create a BACKUP plan?

The Bills want to have Maybin be a DE. End of story if they wanted a line backer than why didn't they just draft one? I understand the idea of if he isn't working out it could just be a backup plan. But let the kid get a few years into the league before we talk about changing his position.

I would say that Aaron Maybin would need to complete at least one practice in full pads as a member of the Buffalo Bills before I start speculating about whether or not he was a bust.

Ditto, and I'm also not fond of stories like this which run without attribution. Be nice to know exactly who at FoxSports is sharing this opinion, no?

For what it's worth, when John Wawrow talked to Perry Fewell, his story (and our conversation regarding same) gave me the impression that any LB action by Maybin would be more about expanding his role than a thought that he couldn't handle DE.

http://www.dailymail.com/ap/ApSports/200906090713

Ditto, and I'm also not fond of stories like this which run without attribution. Be nice to know exactly who at FoxSports is sharing this opinion, no?

For what it's worth, when John Wawrow talked to Perry Fewell, his story (and our conversation regarding same) gave me the impression that any LB action by Maybin would be more about expanding his role than a thought that he couldn't handle DE.

http://www.dailymail.com/ap/ApSports/200906090713

Thanks! I think moving him around (if he can handle it) is an excellent idea. It really causes problems for an offense and they have to keep their eyes on where he is at all times if he turns out to be a force on the field. :lol:

this is the 2nd questionable Bills story from Fox Sports in as many days. Whoever is doing their writing is extrapolating things commonly known and already reported in a way to make it seem like new news and a notable story to follow.

First Whitner being possibly "benched" - they see someone said that Bryan Scott may be the starting SS, but fail to realize (or report at least) that such a scenario would see Whitner playing FS. And if Byrd can step in at free, Donte would play strong. No matter what, Donte is going to be starting at safety.

For Maybin - Fewell has said from the start that they wouldn't limit ways to get him on the field. Playing some linebacker situationally because of his athleticism is a lot different than being "moved to linebacker" because he can't play end.

My best guess is that Fox Sports is desperate for copy during the offseason and are playing it loose with their journalistic standards (if there even are any in sports reporting).

I dont understand what all the hub ub is about or why folks are second guessing why the bills would draft AB even if he did play both spots......

What they did was draft a freaky TALENT and will now figure out the best ways to use him......would it really be so bad that they find a way to get both Aaron Schrobel and Aaron Maybin on the field at the same time? I personally salivate at the possibilities of getting an additional pass rusher on the field.....not worry about what position he will be playing at.

this is the 2nd questionable Bills story from Fox Sports in as many days. Whoever is doing their writing is extrapolating things commonly known and already reported in a way to make it seem like new news and a notable story to follow.

First Whitner being possibly "benched" - they see someone said that Bryan Scott may be the starting SS, but fail to realize (or report at least) that such a scenario would see Whitner playing FS. And if Byrd can step in at free, Donte would play strong. No matter what, Donte is going to be starting at safety.

For Maybin - Fewell has said from the start that they wouldn't limit ways to get him on the field. Playing some linebacker situationally because of his athleticism is a lot different than being "moved to linebacker" because he can't play end.

My best guess is that Fox Sports is desperate for copy during the offseason and are playing it loose with their journalistic standards (if there even are any in sports reporting).

Actually, it's NOT THE SECOND questionable Bills story from Fox Sports. Both of these questionable assertions came from the SAME STORY, which seems to be full of biodegradable material, if you get my drift.