Do We Have a Better Team Now than at the End of 2008 ?

Kenwick

Plain and simple...yes, this team has gotten better, if not MUCH better. Just compare the players we lost to the players we added. The Value is not even comparable.

Looking at this, it is easy to see why:

Free Agents/Re-Signed/Drafted:

WR Terrell Owens - desperately needed playmaker. takes pressure off Evans.

C Geoff Hangartner - smart technician who can handle 3-4 dt's. upgraded the position.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick - intelligent signal caller, upgraded the position.

RB Dominic Rhodes - hardnosed runner, maybe the best #3 in the league.

MLB Pat Thomas - young and has started NFL games. quality depth.

CB Drayton Florence - good competition for a quality group. has great potential, shown in SD.

OL Seth McKinney - journeyman who can add great depth to the entire interior of the line.

RB Fred Jackson - extended, and well deserved. one of the most underrated PLAYERS in the league.

OLB Keith Ellison - has been holding his own as a starter, decent player...could be upgraded.

OL Kirk Chambers - valuable versatile lineman that has started and can sub in for just about anyone.

MLB John Digiorgio - showed his worth two years ago as a starter, quality backup.

FS/WR George Wilson - see John Digiorgio.

WR Justin Jenkins - special teams ace, not much of a WR...at most, decent #4/#5 WR.

* (ALL of whom got extensive playing time the last two years, giving them valuable experience.)

DE/OLB Aaron Maybin - explosive pass-rusher, adds much needed playmaking ability to D-Line.

OL Eric Wood - mean and nasty, was a Center, drafted as OG.

DB Jairus Byrd - his father was a Pro-Bowler, he possesses the ability to be a hard-hitting playmaker.

OL Andy Levitre - mean streak like Wood, was a Tackle, drafted as a OG.

TE Shawn Nelson - playmaking TE has been missing for the entire decade. he could shine.

OLB/SS Nic Harris - hard hitting college safety looks to challenge Ellison for starting OLB spot.

CB Cary Harris - might be too slow to be a starting CB in the league, but could be a great backup.

CB Ellis Lankster - could be a steal in the draft with the endless potential he has been showing.

Player's Lost:

LT Jason Peters - one of the best. not overrated, but certainly overpaid. out of AFC.

CB Jabari Greer - he was a diamond of the rough, a true gem...glad he got paid, and moved out of the AFC.

OLB Angelo Crowell - quality player for his years here, injury plagued and out of the AFC.

LG Derrick Dockery - overrated during his stay in Buffalo, way overpaid.

TE Robert Royal - overrated. easily replaced.

OL Duke Preston - never amounted to much more than a decent backup. got paid, out of AFC.

OLB Blake Costanzo - special teamer, not much lost here.

C Melvin Fowler - easily upgraded. never progressed.

QB JP Lossman - not sure where to start here...i will just wish him well.

We also brought in some quality pieces to add to the staff in Nix and Sanders.

In my eyes, this team is MUCH better than we were at this point last year...WAYYY BETTER. Add in the fact that our players endured what the went through as a team together last season, and the season before...and I think that the Buffalo Bills are about ready to burst onto the scene, into the National spotlight and surprise some people.

FIRST PLAY OF THE YEAR:

The opposing defense will be thinking BOMB to Owens, all the while, paying no attention to Evans. Play action, #5 to #83.

from your list the Bills lost an elite LT in his prime and added a 35 yr old WR - who hopefully is more interested in playing football than starring in his own TV show.

Hopefully Hangarten holds up at C but it is by no means a certainty than he can handle 3-4 nose tackles with rookies at each side. Carlina was so impressed with his inability to do just that they first spent a #2 on his replacement and then let him walk when his contract was up.

Hopefully the rookies can learn new positions real quick because the rest of the additions don't improve the talent level from last year.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trent is preparing for the tidalwave of manrape that is coming. hey, at least we've got fitzpatrick for when he goes down. :lol: Thanks Tom! How many Offensive Lineman are returning to the same position as last year....????

:lol:

Did we get better? Short answer: No.

Longest answer justifiable: Hell no.

Buffalo Bills Kool-aid Spin: We "upgraded" at OL b/c our guys have the potential to be a better unit at some point in the future. "Potential" can be translated out of Buffalonian and into english to "currently not very good".

The truth is our front office is a joke, and has been since Bill Polian left. A sick, pathetic, and repulsive joke. Even Ralph admitted we "just don't have the talent"... and that was before losing our entire OL, our #2 CB, Marshawn for 1/4 of the season, and letting Angelo Crowell go.

Hey...at least we'll have T.O. to watch this year...if nothing else its like a bullfight...or a trainwreck.

Hopefully Hangarten holds up at C but it is by no means a certainty than he can handle 3-4 nose tackles with rookies at each side. Carlina was so impressed with his inability to do just that they first spent a #2 on his replacement and then let him walk when his contract was up.

Yeah and Carolina was so impressed with Justin Hartwig, that they dumped him, only to watch him anchor the SB-winning OL. And then they produced that brilliant plan against the Cardinals, where they passed the ball to the tune of 5 Delhomme INT's, instead of running the ball, which is what got them to where they were.

This reminds me of that poster last year who claimed that the Jags knew that Stroud was washed-up, hence the reason they traded him. He was also the same poster who believe that he deserved comped drinks because he added value to a bar, versus someone like Lynch. Yeah.

Trent is preparing for the tidalwave of manrape that is coming. hey, at least we've got fitzpatrick for when he goes down. :lol: Thanks Tom! How many Offensive Lineman are returning to the same position as last year....????

:lol:

Did we get better? Short answer: No.

Longest answer justifiable: Hell no.

Buffalo Bills Kool-aid Spin: We "upgraded" at OL b/c our guys have the potential to be a better unit at some point in the future. "Potential" can be translated out of Buffalonian and into english to "currently not very good".

The truth is our front office is a joke, and has been since Bill Polian left. A sick, pathetic, and repulsive joke. Even Ralph admitted we "just don't have the talent"... and that was before losing our entire OL, our #2 CB, Marshawn for 1/4 of the season, and letting Angelo Crowell go.

Hey...at least we'll have T.O. to watch this year...if nothing else its like a bullfight...or a trainwreck.

Mr. WEO's band of miserable misfits adds another.

from your list the Bills lost an elite LT in his prime and added a 35 yr old WR - who hopefully is more interested in playing football than starring in his own TV show.

Hopefully the rookies can learn new positions real quick because the rest of the additions don't improve the talent level from last year.

stop and think about the original question?

Yes, we lost Peters. He wanted way too much money. Don't get me wrong, I have honestly been a Jason Peters fan since the day I found him, searching for players coming out in the 2004 draft. I was looking for "surprise" players to tell my buddy about, and Peters was the guy I wanted Buffalo to get. Who would'nt want a 6'4 300 lb Tight End. Anyways, I would rather have kept the money for extentions like Fred Jackson, and the draft picks to get promising Rookies in Eric Wood and Shawn Nelson. I believe both of these guys will be dominant players at their positions, IF used correctly.

Ryan Fitzpatrick's performance down the stretch last year with a HORRIBLE team, proves he is better than Losman and Hamdan. Not to mention the fact, he has a job, and Losman...well, not so lucky.

Dominic Rhodes is a proven veteran who has been a winner. He starts the season as a decent #2 to Jackson, rounding out the crew as a great #3 back, giving this trio potential #1 status. I would sure rather have him than Xavier Omon.

Are you really going to argue that Terrell Owens will NOT make this team a better football team? Hopefully people follow his lead and listens to what he has to say. He is a proven veteran, one of the best all-time. HE WANTS TO WIN!

Geoff Hangartner is built for and has played against the 3-4 defenses. He is already is a better prospect than Melvin Fowler or Duke Preston. Hangartner has a nasty meanstreak to him, and he is a very cerebral player. Carolina could nice afford to keep all their players if they were going to re-sign Jordan Gross and Franchise Peppers. They WANTED him back, both players and coaches. He is the best Center we have had in a while.

McKinney, Florence and Thomas are all quality backups. Thomas brings some starting experience, and he has some size to go against the bigger lineman, compared to Digiorgio. They compliment eachother nicely behind Poz. Florence showed promise when he played in San Diego, until Jammer came along and they drafted Cromartie. I believe he would be a nice nickel-corner, and a great backup. However, I have faith in and like all of our young corners.

Nobody can say if we are better or not, until the pads go on and the games begin. But, how people can not think we are a better football team on paper, is a crazy crazy thing.

No.

At the end of last year, they had been playing together for a season and had gelled into a unit.

Now they haven't had a moment of contact. If you put them on a field to play a game right now they would look pathetic. After training camp, we will see what's what. All the improvements are only potential improvements right now.

Now I've never been that "miserable"!---link?

Shouldn't you be planning your annual "Real Fan" 7-9 Celebration Parade? Or maybe putting the final touches on your "TO: Why I Have Always Been His Biggest Fan" webpage?

Back to your room, junior.

Shouldn't you be planning your annual "Real Fan" 7-9 Celebration Parade? Or maybe putting the final touches on your "TO: Why I Have Always Been His Biggest Fan" webpage?

Raining in P-Town again today???

Back to your own room, Tommie* Bundchen*-lover - we know you think he's* just oh-sooo-dreamy. :thumbsup:

stop and think about the original question?

Yes, we lost Peters. He wanted way too much money. Don't get me wrong, I have honestly been a Jason Peters fan since the day I found him, searching for players coming out in the 2004 draft. I was looking for "surprise" players to tell my buddy about, and Peters was the guy I wanted Buffalo to get. Who would'nt want a 6'4 300 lb Tight End. Anyways, I would rather have kept the money for extentions like Fred Jackson, and the draft picks to get promising Rookies in Eric Wood and Shawn Nelson. I believe both of these guys will be dominant players at their positions, IF used correctly.

Ryan Fitzpatrick's performance down the stretch last year with a HORRIBLE team, proves he is better than Losman and Hamdan. Not to mention the fact, he has a job, and Losman...well, not so lucky.

Dominic Rhodes is a proven veteran who has been a winner. He starts the season as a decent #2 to Jackson, rounding out the crew as a great #3 back, giving this trio potential #1 status. I would sure rather have him than Xavier Omon.

Are you really going to argue that Terrell Owens will NOT make this team a better football team? Hopefully people follow his lead and listens to what he has to say. He is a proven veteran, one of the best all-time. HE WANTS TO WIN!

Geoff Hangartner is built for and has played against the 3-4 defenses. He is already is a better prospect than Melvin Fowler or Duke Preston. Hangartner has a nasty meanstreak to him, and he is a very cerebral player. Carolina could nice afford to keep all their players if they were going to re-sign Jordan Gross and Franchise Peppers. They WANTED him back, both players and coaches. He is the best Center we have had in a while.

McKinney, Florence and Thomas are all quality backups. Thomas brings some starting experience, and he has some size to go against the bigger lineman, compared to Digiorgio. They compliment eachother nicely behind Poz. Florence showed promise when he played in San Diego, until Jammer came along and they drafted Cromartie. I believe he would be a nice nickel-corner, and a great backup. However, I have faith in and like all of our young corners.

Nobody can say if we are better or not, until the pads go on and the games begin. But, how people can not think we are a better football team on paper, is a crazy crazy thing.

Agree with everything you said.

Sorry, I don't have time to link to all your posts, while I'm planning the "Real Fan" parade. Which oddly enough does not include making every excuse under the sun for a rival franchise caught cheating and whose owner helped FUBAR the league, while making-up shifting criteria as to how a great addition to the team will "destroy" that "7-9" team midway through the season.

Time to take your prune juice, gramps.

I don't know who Mr. WEO is, and I object to joining any band.

Frankly, after a decade of not making the playoffs, you're either miserable, or a moron.

The question was whether we got better this year. There is quite simply not a single GM in this league who would tell you they would trade peters for Walker, walker for butler, and dockery for any of our rookies in the same year. It was O-Line suicide.

God help us.

Frankly, after a decade of not making the playoffs, you're either miserable, or a moron.

The question was whether we got better this year. There is quite simply not a single GM in this league who would tell you they would trade peters for Walker, walker for butler, and dockery for any of our rookies in the same year. It was O-Line suicide.

God help us.

Apparently someone would. Because Russ Brandon just did it.

If you really think that there isnt a better LG on this team than Dockery was then you have issues and need to watch more football. He was absolutely horrible, and may be part of the reason why Peters looked so bad this last season as well.

Being miserable is understandable. Letting your misery guide any objective analysis is moronic, though. They didn't finish 0-16. Not everything and everyone on the team, or associated with it, sucks. There is room for some optimism, as there are reasons for concern.

God help us.

I've said elsewhere that this is just football. If you're miserable (and a lot of you are), then you need to step away for a bit and reassess things.

And most GM's probably would have done what the Bills did WRT Peters, given the almost total lack of interest by other clubs when it came time to pursue a trade for him. Basically it was the Eagles and...practically nobody. As for Dockery, most would tell you that he was one of the worst starting OG's in the NFL last year. And if Butler can't handle RT, they put him back at RG and Chambers at RT, or move Walker back to RT.

God help us.

I take issue with the word suicide. Suicide actually takes a plan, so I don't really think the word "suicide" fits for what the FO did to the O-line.

Here are some options:

1. smash, level, waste, ravage, devastate. Destroy, demolish, raze imply reducing a thing to uselessness. To destroy is to reduce something to nothingness or to take away its powers and functions so that restoration is impossible: Fire destroys a building. Disease destroys tissues. To demolish is to destroy something organized or structured: to demolish a machine. To raze is to level down to the ground: to raze a fortress. 2. extirpate, annihilate, uproot.

I take issue with the word suicide. Suicide actually takes a plan, so I don't really think the word "suicide" fits for what the FO did to the O-line.

Here are some options:

1. smash, level, waste, ravage, devastate. Destroy, demolish, raze imply reducing a thing to uselessness. To destroy is to reduce something to nothingness or to take away its powers and functions so that restoration is impossible: Fire destroys a building. Disease destroys tissues. To demolish is to destroy something organized or structured: to demolish a machine. To raze is to level down to the ground: to raze a fortress. 2. extirpate, annihilate, uproot.

Gee, can I borrow your crystal ball?