What do you miss about Buffalo?

I miss Mighty Taco and I'm lucky to have Ted's Hot Dogs out here in Phoenix so I can get the Salen's dogs for home and Weber's Mustard. Yes, I have converted neighbors to the mustard and to Ted's.

I miss when I order wings here I have to specify Bleu Cheese because they all serve ranch with the wings. I haven't found a decent local (not chain) pizza place in Phoenix for the last 15 years.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to love a bar called Jack Daniels (on Forrest?). They had good music, too. Also liked Cassidy's and Gabels...cookout night...free (or 25 cent) burgers and dogs and pitchers of mixed drinks for $2.

Gabels...yeah.

Checkers

CPBG

Even the Pink Flamingo had its day in the (fleeting) sun

I miss the community. The people of WNY are real, genuine, and look out for one another in a caring way. I live in Annapolis, MD now (Washington, DC area) and have worked all over the country - there is no better place when it comes to a great community feel. The Bills and Sabres are a part of that. If I were able to get a job in the area I would move back and love to raise my family there. Unfortunately, the overtaxing, nanny state government of NY has driven out all business and jobs. Until that changes, it will be hard to make WNY a viable/vibrant/growing economy where jobs are created and the people are free to succeed.

Lets go Buff-a-lo!

Cheers from a born and raised Buffalonian displaced to DC,

Keith

The Mighty Taco is a funny subject. Most of us agree that it's not as good as it used to be. For instance (and I worked there in college) they used to re-fry their beans in animal fat which made them a lot more tasty. They no longer do that. Also they've cut corners I think on some of their ingredients.

Objectively speaking, better quality "Mexican" food tends away from ground beef and more towards chunks of beef or chicken as in most fajitas.

Mighty Taco is not authentic in any way and is not as good as it used to be. That said, if you've grown up with it like most of us, there's a particular scrumptiousness about their food.

It's partly our duty to love Mighty, also as teenagers we were weaned on Mighty so we are a bit brainwashed, and finally there's something about Mighty Taco that is actually quite satisfying. I always go to Mighty when I'm visiting home.

I could not agree more. It is a sore subject on this board when someone states that MT sucks but that is exactly what it has become. It is not the same anymore. I used love going to MT when I was in college & before I got married. I can not stand the place anymore. Unfortunately my son likes it & he wants to go quite often. Usually I do not even eat nothing when we are there. I know it is tough for people to accept, but they changed the quality of meat/ingrediants plus they are more skimpy then they used to be. In fact, I know I will be blasted on this board but I would rather eat at taco bell, & I am not crazy about taco bell either.

- family and friends

- the fact that Buffalo has the amenities of most large cities without the expense and congestion

- the food (which has been already been greatly discussed)

- the weather in the summer is perfect

- the laid back, friendly, and unpretentious sensibilities of the people

- Living in Bills and Sabres country

Tina's Italian Kitchen

Corn on the cob and the Chiavetta's chicken barbeque at the Eden Corn Festival

The little ice cream stand on 62 just north of Gowanda that had the best peanut butter sundaes.

Sponge candy

Fishing for walleyes on Lake Chatauqua

The conservation building at the Fair

Bison's games

Schwabels beef on weck

Tina's Italian Kitchen

The little ice cream stand on 62 just north of Gowanda that had the best peanut butter sundaes.

Sponge candy

Bison's games

Schwabels beef on weck

Is it true that Bailo's got cited for using horsemeat? Isn't Gowanda the place with the nuthouse?

I can get sponge candy out here about once every 5 years. I used to hate when I picked a chunk that had the hard sponge..bummer

Tina's Italian Kitchen

Sponge candy

Bison's games

Schwabels beef on weck

We've had numerous wonderful Buffalo/Food threads lately and I think this is the first post to mention the unbelievably delicious corn on the cob you can get in WNY. In Cali we get awesome produce and garden vegetables but the fresh corn is nowhere near as good as it is back home.

We've had numerous wonderful Buffalo/Food threads lately and I think this is the first post to mention the unbelievably delicious corn on the cob you can get in WNY. In Cali we get awesome produce and garden vegetables but the fresh corn is nowhere near as good as it is back home.

At the famous Nathan's Famous at Coney Island the fools stand in line and pay good money to eat cow corn that's been simmering for weeks in a steamer. They also eat chow mein sandwiches on burger buns.

At the famous Nathan's Famous at Coney Island the fools stand in line and pay good money to eat cow corn that's been simmering for weeks in a steamer. They also eat chow mein sandwiches on burger buns.

True. But Nathan's Dogs are pretty scrumptious (if a bit small) and their fries are excellent. And of course the Hot Dog eating contest on July 4th weekend is a great event. We went there in 2007 when Joey Chestnut of San Jose finally dethroned the great Kobayashi in a nip and tuck battle which resulted in a new World Record.

But I digress...yes their corn sucks.

True. But Nathan's Dogs are pretty scrumptious (if a bit small) and their fries are excellent. And of course the Hot Dog eating contest on July 4th weekend is a great event. We went there in 2007 when Joey Chestnut of San Jose finally dethroned the great Kobayashi in a nip and tuck battle which resulted in a new World Record.

Spent a summer at San Jose SU. What a dump. Ate nothing but good-to-excellent Vietnamese food in the neighborhood. At least I got to see a lot of good live music and comedy acts, and the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo.

I never thought much of Nathan's dogs. I went there on occasion when I lived on Long Island. Now, I'm not the biggest hot dog guy, so maybe my opinion on this isn't worth much. To me, though, the dogs were mushy and without much flavor. I eat my hot dogs with nothing on them. Just the dog and the bun, so the flavor and the texture of the dog (and the bun quality) is all that matters to me. Ted's charcoal cooked Sahlen dogs (with the natural casing) are much better, IMO.

Please don't restart this argument. All we need is for Chef Jim to start lecturing us about Mexican food again. Mighty Taco isn't Mexican. That doesn't make it bad. It is what it is...a WNY-style taco/burrito. It serves it's purpose...sobering up drunks at 4am.

PTR

Mexican food? I have to lecture you food retards about ALL food. :lol:

I can't believe I forgot to mention how much I miss Grateful Dead shows at Rich Stadium.

I saw them a bunch of times there and loved every damn minute of it.

I saw them in other places in America and nothing compared.

Glen Park and the Inferno

A cappicola sub from Fran's

Pizza

Wings

Crystal Beach

Loanberry (trying to grow some here in Colorado)

Charlie the Butcher

The Bills, the Sabres, the Bonnies at the Aud

Been in Dallas since '81..

I must have lived near you - miss Glen Park and the Inferno

Also enjoyed plenty of Capicola subs at Frans also, they were the best. No Capicola in TX

Also miss..

- The Fall (we have two seasons in TX - green and brown, it is getting brown again)

- First Snow

- Santoras - I was a delivery guy for the ;ocation on main in Williamsville

- Local TV personalities - Azar and Weinstein - don;t really know they guys here but it has only been 28 yrs

- Kids that could ride their bikes wherever they want

- Being able to ride my dirt bike on the railroad tracks from main/union to West Seneca

- Dean's Cycles on Walden in Depew

- Skaros drive in on Walden in Depew

- Twin fair

- Being able to go to a local watering hole in Depew and spending a night drinking and getting a good hamburger and settling up for under $10 - Pentacle still around?

- Joe McCarthy Little League baseball

- Playing Hockey in the swamps near Cayuga

- Summer with the windows open

- Good sense of community and togetherness, especially during the blizzards

- No Name Bar, Goodbar, Mighty Taco - and a sub shop I forgot the name of in the buff state/elmwood area

- Niagara Falls, King Edward, Molson Brador

- The Aud, Rich Stadium, Bills and Sabres....

Spent a summer at San Jose SU. What a dump. Ate nothing but good-to-excellent Vietnamese food in the neighborhood. At least I got to see a lot of good live music and comedy acts, and the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo.

What year were you there? San Jose is now the 10th largest city in the U.S. They have spent lots of money in the urban core and downtown is now very safe, clean, and full of things to do. Developers have built several high rise, upscale condos downtown. It's a very nice city. Of course like most cities, the area around the college is somewhat of the prototypical "student slum." It's a lot better than around the UB Main Street Campus and similar to the area around the Buff State Campus.

I never thought much of Nathan's dogs. I went there on occasion when I lived on Long Island. Now, I'm not the biggest hot dog guy, so maybe my opinion on this isn't worth much. To me, though, the dogs were mushy and without much flavor. I eat my hot dogs with nothing on them. Just the dog and the bun, so the flavor and the texture of the dog (and the bun quality) is all that matters to me. Ted's charcoal cooked Sahlen dogs (with the natural casing) are much better, IMO.

I would say the skin on the Nathan's has more flavor...as it grills it renders a nice sausagy flavor. Sahlens has a pretty thick skin. Nathan's are kosher dogs meaning that there is only beef and no pork in them and maybe that's why I like the Sahlens filling better. But I'm not a huge hot dog guy either. I'll take a keilbasa or a brat first.