Best Beef on Weck in WNY

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little antidote.. My GA wife has almost become a total Buffalonian. After my second daughter was born.. I'm talking just born -- like 30 minutes old -- she made me drive up to the local Buffalo owned restaurant and get her a big Beef on Weck. She chowed that bastard down right in the delivery room.

Congrats on the new addition to the family. I mean the baby, not the beef on weck.

Must've taken a run up to Galla's. I hate to be the one to tell you, but she didn't want the beef on weck so much as wanting to get rid of you for a few minutes. The poor woman was probably exhausted.

There's a bakery called My Bakery, not far from you, that supposedly will make Kummelweck rolls. My wife has talked to the owner, who is apparently from the WNY/Buffalo area and will make the k-rolls on request. This was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if it's the same owner still there. If you was to head towards the Home Depot on 92, near 575, on the same side of the road, there's a little strip shopping center (IIRC, it's behind Folks, across from Checkers). If I'm having a big Buffalo bash one day, I might see if they can bake me up a batch of the rolls. But, there's a fairly easy solution to making a home-made version. Not quite as good as a BOW from one of the WNY establishments mentioned in this thread, but it'll do in a pinch and curb the craving.

I'm not about to slow roast a 12 lb bottom round roast just for us, so I'll try to get some decent sliced roast beef from the deli. Yeah, I know, it's not the same as what you get at the carving station, but whadya gonna do?

If you can find a local butcher, they might have a better quality roast beef than our typical in-store deli processed crap. The rare-er the better. Not much in the way of butcher shops around here, though there's a new one on Hwy 92, heading the opposite direction, that I haven't checked out yet.

Get the roast beef and also buy some Au Jus envelope mix at the store (French's, McCormick, etc).

Try and find a decent kaiser roll. Preferably braided on top to hold the salt and seeds. I wish I could get one steam-baked like the Chicago rolls that Publix makes. It's produces a crustier roll. I might try to get Publix to bake a kaiser-style roll using Chicago bread dough and the same baking method. That'd be about perfect for the kind of Kummelweck roll I'd make. Don't like the roll too soft. Turns to mush with the addition of Au Jus.

Back at home.....warm up the Au Jus in a shallow pan.

As that's warming up, take the kaiser roll and brush the top with an eggwash mixture of eggwhite and milk. Don't need much. Then sprinkle the top with kosher (sea) salt and caraway seeds. Throw it into a warm oven for a couple of minutes, just enough to "glue" the salt and seeds to the eggwhite mixture.

Next, dunk the roast beef into the heated Au Jus mixture for a few seconds. Long enough to warm it and soak it with Au Jus, but not long enough that it cooks it.

Then pile the roast beef onto the bottom half of the kaister roll, and slather the meat with fresh prepared horseradish. Put the salted and seeded top half roll on and dig in. If you want more Au Jus on your sandwich, you can give the underside of the roll's top half a quick dunk in the au jus pan.

I've done this many times, and it makes a reasonable facimile of a WNY beef on weck.

BTW - Gallas make very good wings too. And very good haddock fish frys. Sometimes I'll meet the Mrs. on a Friday at the Peachtree Rd sit-down Gallas and have a real Buffalo-style fish fry.

Buffalo's cafe, up on 92, has great authentic wing sauce, but lately, the wings are ridiculously small. Had some a couple of weeks ago, and had to call the server over to show her one of my wings. I had to ask her how long the bird had been out of the egg before they took it's wing. Last time I go there.

But this weekend, I'll be in Buffalo. Might have to check out this Bar Bill joint. Haven't hit Duff's in years. Might have to be another stop.

Damn, it's 9am and I'm starving. What's up with that?

DML, I don't know about all of them, but the Publix near me will make weck rolls to order (as few as 6, I believe). They are good, but not as good as those in Buffalo or even as good as prepping the kaiser yourself, as noted in your post. It is very easy and you can make them as salty or seedy as you like. Might not be as good as the best weck in WNY, but far better than the worst in WNY and what you get outside of WNY in the few places that serve BOW.

We do homemade BOW a few times a year, and it comes out very good. The only real difference (besides the slight difference in the roll) is the beef. The great BOWs tend to be made from a huge Steamship Round, cooked pretty rare. Unfortunately, with my family, the meat is usually overcooked (unless I do it). But, you can up the meat ante, and use prime rib sliced thin, and that makes a pretty sweet BOW.

It is true it is just roast beef on a bun, however someplaces use a better grade of beef than others & some places use stale buns.

I agree ... just roast beef on a bun??? I live in Lewiston and we have a butcher that makes his own roast beef. He slow roasts the beef (aged beef) and produces his own au jus. Pair that with a fresh baked DiCamillo's weck roll with plenty of salt and rye and there is the perfect sandwich.

Saying it's just roast beef on a bun is like saying pizza is just tomatoes on a crust. No way!

I agree ... just roast beef on a bun??? I live in Lewiston and we have a butcher that makes his own roast beef. He slow roasts the beef (aged beef) and produces his own au jus. Pair that with a fresh baked DiCamillo's weck roll with plenty of salt and rye and there is the perfect sandwich.

Saying it's just roast beef on a bun is like saying pizza is just tomatoes on a crust. No way!

I had a beef on weck at a restaurant in Orlando. Bun wasn't stale, and was OK, really. Beef was of decent quality. But the sandwich sucked.

Why? The beef was cold and there was no aujus on the bun. It could have been pretty good, otherwise. To be great, the meat would have to have been properly sliced and perfectly cooked and seasoned.

I had a beef on weck at a restaurant in Orlando. Bun wasn't stale, and was OK, really. Beef was of decent quality. But the sandwich sucked.

Why? The beef was cold and there was no aujus on the bun. It could have been pretty good, otherwise. To be great, the meat would have to have been properly sliced and perfectly cooked and seasoned.

Blasphemy !!!!

Making a decent BOW is as easy as making a decent wing. Shame on them.

Blasphemy !!!!

Making a decent BOW is as easy as making a decent wing. Shame on them.

Indeed. A decent BOW is easy to make. Can't believe so few outside of WNY bother...and those that do screw it up. I have had BOWs in several cities outside of WNY, and none of them have been close to decent. A place in St Augustine serves them every Sunday, and they are close to inedible. Terrible meat, overcooked, average bun...result= sucky sandwich.

Indeed. A decent BOW is easy to make. Can't believe so few outside of WNY bother...and those that do screw it up. I have had BOWs in several cities outside of WNY, and none of them have been close to decent. A place in St Augustine serves them every Sunday, and they are close to inedible. Terrible meat, overcooked, average bun...result= sucky sandwich.

IMO, it is more about "timing" making a decent BOW. Of course weck rolls don't hold very long so there is your problem if you don't do enough volume. Kinda like a nice Thanksgiving dinner... Not hard, but timing it all together and keeping everything hot is the key.

On the opposite end you have the "Chicago hot dog"... Really hard to screw that up... The dog can be floating in the dirty water all day and the thing really wouldn't be that bad once completed.

Is it just a BFLO thing? What I mean, wings and weck are really not that hard... Yet, if the timing isn't right... They turn to crap. Such is BFLO's story! :thumbdown:

IMO, it is more about "timing" making a decent BOW. Of course weck rolls don't hold very long so there is your problem if you don't do enough volume. Kinda like a nice Thanksgiving dinner... Not hard, but timing it all together and keeping everything hot is the key.

On the opposite end you have the "Chicago hot dog"... Really hard to screw that up... The dog can be floating in the dirty water all day and the thing really wouldn't be that bad once completed.

Is it just a BFLO thing? What I mean, wings and weck are really not that hard... Yet, if the timing isn't right... They turn to crap. Such is BFLO's story! :thumbdown:

I don't disagree, yet a place like Annacone's (before it closed) kept a beef behind the bar (covered) under a heat lamp, with the au jus in a steam table, and served terrific BOW all day and night. Even on a very slow day, the product was good.

Oh... Another trick my mother (and at Dubel's where I used to work in the deli) is to UNDER COOK the before (rare). Because once it goes int he gravy, it wil cook more.

Another thing is use TOP ROUND... Get a nice piece of suet from the butcher and place on top... Cook lower temp and a bit longer... Like above, under cook it. Also, it is easier to slice (if you have a slicer) if it is rarer.

And Dean, I know you will gasp :thumbdown: But, you can sprinkle a little Accent (msg) on it! :thumbdown::w00t:

Hi folks. Is it ok if I horn in on this thread a little? If not can someone direct me to a thread that might exist on this topic? I'm bringing a friend in to see a Bisons game on Wednesday and want to go out to a decent bar after the game. Something youthful and energetic would be best but open to other ideas. We're gonna hit the Peart Street Grill before the game. I live out in Chautauqua county so I;m not too aware of the good spots in Buffalo. The bar doesn't have to be right near the stadium--we can drive to it but would like it to be in Buffalo--thinking Chippewa or Allentown but don't really know what's good there. Thanks if you're able to help and even if your not! :thumbdown:

Oh... Another trick my mother (and at Dubel's where I used to work in the deli) is to UNDER COOK the before (rare). Because once it goes int he gravy, it wil cook more.

Another thing is use TOP ROUND... Get a nice piece of suet from the butcher and place on top... Cook lower temp and a bit longer... Like above, under cook it. Also, it is easier to slice (if you have a slicer) if it is rarer.

And Dean, I know you will gasp :thumbdown: But, you can sprinkle a little Accent (msg) on it! :thumbdown::w00t:

Gravy? On a BOW? Oh the humanity!

Yes, I know some places serve a gravy-based BOW (and some are pretty damn good), but that's not what I look for in a BOW.

Annacone's cooked their roast very rare, and then dipped the slices in the au jus before serving. That heats, and revives the meat, and if you like it more well done, you can leave it in a little bit longer.

The suet sounds like a great tip, for top round.

I don't disagree, yet a place like Annacone's (before it closed) kept a beef behind the bar (covered) under a heat lamp, with the au jus in a steam table, and served terrific BOW all day and night. Even on a very slow day, the product was good.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but taking some back:

In the old days (before it burned)... Weichecks (sp).

Gravy? On a BOW? Oh the humanity!

Yes, I know some places serve a gravy-based BOW (and some are pretty damn good), but that's not what I look for in a BOW.

Annacone's cooked their roast very rare, and then dipped the slices in the au jus before serving. That heats, and revives the meat, and if you like it more well done, you can leave it in a little bit longer.

The suet sounds like a great tip, for top round.

I knew you would pick up on that word...Just a word.

It is gravy! I never knew what au jus was till I left BFLO... Same thing... I associate au jus with more of the Itallian beef they serve here in Chicago... "Dry", "wet", or "dipped"

Dean to clarify... With regards to gravy... Especaily the way we used to make it... As I interpret "gravy."

Thicker than au jus, not as runny... Yet... not totally thick like some people associate with "gravy."

The expression "as easy as gravy" is not what it is cracked up to be. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

For lack of a better word...IMO, beef of weck is "gravy"... It isn't au jus... That is Italian beef or French dip.

Dean to clarify... With regards to gravy... Especaily the way we used to make it... As I interpret "gravy."

Thicker than au jus, not as runny... Yet... not totally thick like some people associate with "gravy."

The expression "as easy as gravy" is not what it is cracked up to be. :thumbdown::thumbdown:

For lack of a better word...IMO, beef of weck is "gravy"... It isn't au jus... That is Italian beef or French dip.

A place like Schwabl's uses your basic au jus, I believe. That's what most of the better BOW places use, to the best of my knowledge.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but taking some back:

In the old days (before it burned)... Weichecks (sp).

Exiled, did Wiechecs really burn down? when? Terrible shame then. I knew the family that owned that place, just a terrific family. Spent many an hr at that bar. As a matter of fact, watched the Giants-49s NFC title game there after 51-3, man that place was kicking.

And so easy to make at home.

For the benefit of ex-pats:

Beef: Buy a rump roast, and using a thermometer, bake to 120 -130 degrees, no more. Like always with beef, scrape off the surface with a table knife to remove surface scum. Rub some marjoram, ground pepper, salt, a small amount of onion powder and a small amount of paprika onto the surface. Don't overdo the onion powderand paprika - you don't ever want to overpower the taste of the beef. If you like garlic - put it on toast please.

Let it cool after removing from the oven and absorb the juices. And then tent it tightly with aluminum foil and stick it in the icebox. Slice it thin when you are ready to serve it.

Rolls: I posted a recipe for top-notch rolls on the late TSW cookbook. A lot of effort, but prepping a decent, purchased roll is easy. Just don't use a roll that contains egg. Cut in half, brush with egg white with a teaspoon of water, mixed. Put on a baking sheet and dust top and bottom with caraway seed and kosher salt to taste. Put under a pre-heated oven broiler for a minute or so, to glue the salt and seed in place.

Au Jus: Buy the dollar or so packet from the grocery store, and heat up per directions.

Bring the Au Jus to the table, and plunk some of the sliced beef into it. After 10 seconds or so, use tongs to dump it on the roll. If you like more juice (I do), dip the bottom surface of the top of the roll in the juice, or ladle some on the beef with a spoon.

I am sure you will be pleased with the results of this minimal effort. Try it, then invite over friends for a redux. They will go ga-ga. Your reputation as a host will grow.

:thumbdown:

Beef 'n Barrel in Olean. Get the Tin Roof Sundae for dessert. Worth the ride.

We have a winner. Get the Beef on Weck, fries with gravy and a salad with celery seed dressing. Every time I come home, I make a stop there.

I get such a kick out of every damn place around that proclaims on their signage, "best wings in town". And they're more often than not, just plain terrible.

It's a joke. WHY do so many have such trouble making the basic frigging Buffalo-style chicken wing. Jesus, if you don't have a decent internet connection, the recipe is right on the label of the Frank's hot sauce bottle! It's as if it's just too simple. It can't be that easy - right? These hack wingmongers are compelled to add a million unnessary ingredients.

I asked the owner of one of the local establishments why they make 'em the way they do. His reply was that everyone has their own way of doing it - that's what makes them unique. Fine. But quit calling them "Buffalo Wings" for crissakes. Call them Retarded Atlanta Halfwit wings or something else. I don't put Heinz ketchup on a slice of ham and call it Kansas City style barbeque.

When the base of your sauce is oil and vinegar dressing and tabasco, they ain't "Buffalo Wings". They're some kind of in-bred Atlanta bullshitte that has little resemblence to the wings that Buffalo is famous for. Compound that by baking 'em on the broiler and you have a real treat. Oh yeah, nothing like rubbery, half-baked, sometimes breaded, marinated wings in an oil based sauce with some kind of asian spice sprinkled on them. WTF? MMMmmmm BAD.

I don't know what douch bag came up with the idea of marinating fried wings, but that's how they do it at the Publix deli. Some kind of rub and marinade is the way they're done before they deep fry them. And then the sauce is just god awful, whatever it is.

BTW - another place in Atlanta, Taco Mac - a chain started by Buffalo boys. Even they have mediocre wings that they brag aboutwith the overused winged-buffalo logo. They also serve Beef on Weck on Wednesday. Haven't tried that yet, but it's gotta be better than their wings and burritos.

I thought I had put this in the post, but I must have left it out.

Chicago Dogs - I like them better than Ted's - maybe....sometimes. Several places around Atlanta feature this Chicago favorite. If you've never had one, they're a steamed Vienna Beef frank, served in a poppy seed hot dog bun, with dill pickle spears, neon green relish, tomato wedges, onions, sport peppers, mustard, and toped with celery salt. Absolutely delicious.

No Ketchup -ever! That's the equivilant to baked, breaded Buffalo" wings. Here's an image:

http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/images/chicagodog.jpg

Atlantans wanting Ted's - here it is, on Windy Hill in Marietta:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/9/394214/resta...d-Hots-Marietta

Same thing as Ted's. Sahlens over lump charcoal. They even serve Loganberry.

About the only Buffalo thing I can't get or produce in Atlanta is Mighty Taco, or anything even remotely like it. I've been trying for 30 years to duplicate the recipe, and can't come close. What the hell is in those things?

Still haven't eaten today. Now I'm starving. I better go eat something.