I am sick of hearing about how our coaching sucks....

For every 1 Bill Belicheat who started his career off slowly and then began winning at a remarkable rate, there are 20 rich kotites who continued losing. Dick Jauron is simply another rich kotite. The guy has been in the league 8 seasons and has never showed even glimpses of being able to achieve anything that can closely resemble consistent winning.

I'll never understand why lots of posters cannot seem to distinguish between the exception and the rule.

I think Jauron is good at taking a 4 & 12 team and getting them to 8 + 8. He has enough intelligence and game planning to do that. But much of the game is about emotion and momentum and I just don't see him being able to stoke those fires at the opportune times that translates into an extra win or too. Also, you have to be creative and get out of the box once in a while or make a decision based on gut feel or intuition. I don't see him being able to do that. he is too dependent on game plan and strategy. He is a smart guy and the players like him but I think the players need to fear him a little or be inspired by him rather than just relaxed all the time.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Jauron is simply another rich kotite.

While agree with the gist of your post, the above is absurd. DJ isn't the worst coach in the league. In fact he is far from it. I don't imagine Kotite could have coached any of the Bills squads to 7 wins, and certainly not the 2007 club, with all those injuries.

EDIT: While Jauron may be uninspired, and definitely costs his team some wins, he is not totally incompetent, when it comes to preparing a team. I can't say the same about Kotite.

I think Jauron is good at taking a 4 & 12 team and getting them to 8 + 8. He has enough intelligence and game planning to do that. But much of the game is about emotion and momentum and I just don't see him being able to stoke those fires at the opportune times that translates into an extra win or too. Also, you have to be creative and get out of the box once in a while or make a decision based on gut feel or intuition. I don't see him being able to do that. he is too dependent on game plan and strategy. He is a smart guy and the players like him but I think the players need to fear him a little or be inspired by him rather than just relaxed all the time.

Tony Dungy disagrees with you.

I think Jauron is good at taking a 4 & 12 team and getting them to 8 + 8. He has enough intelligence and game planning to do that. But much of the game is about emotion and momentum and I just don't see him being able to stoke those fires at the opportune times that translates into an extra win or too. Also, you have to be creative and get out of the box once in a while or make a decision based on gut feel or intuition. I don't see him being able to do that. he is too dependent on game plan and strategy.

IMO, that's one of the reasons Ralph and Marv picked him to be HC for 2006. He could right a rapidly sinking ship...which he did. But now they need someone with some imagination, who doesn't crawl into a hole with every unfortunate occurrence. Dick was fine for the initial job...but it is time to move on. Let's hope he turns it around, this year, but I don't really expect him to.

IMO, that's one of the reasons Ralph and Marv picked him to be HC for 2006. He could right a rapidly sinking ship...which he did. But now they need someone with some imagination, who doesn't crawl into a hole with every unfortunate occurrence. Dick was fine for the initial job...but it is time to move on. Let's hope he turns it around, this year, but I don't really expect him to.

See, I agree with most of this. However, it is hard to be that imaginative where you are forced to play a QB who is 3 years isn't in the NFL and a rookie. I think the fact that Jauron and staff made Losman even look like a NFL QB for a season is amazing. But I agree that if he fails this year, it is time to move on.

I think Jauron is good at taking a 4 & 12 team and getting them to 8 + 8. He has enough intelligence and game planning to do that.

Exactly what I thought when he was hired: he's a guy who can take a bad team and make them respectable (i.e. approximately .500 winning record), and maybe back into the playoffs occasionally. But not the guy to take a team to the next level.

But the reason for that I see is less emotion than passivity. Jauron simply does not believe as a matter of coaching philosophy in taking control of a game. He worries less about taking a lead than he does about being in a position to take a lead at some future time. Review every game he's coached, and the overwelmingly common characteristic they all have is that his teams allow opponents to dictate the pace of play, which is fine with him as long as he can "remain competitive" and "be in a position to win in the final two minutes."

Contrast that to, say, the 2007 Patriots (or Landry's Cowboys, or Lombardi's Packers, or Vermeil's Rams, or Ditka's Bears), who played to win in the FIRST two minutes, not the last two.

Exactly what I thought when he was hired: he's a guy who can take a bad team and make them respectable (i.e. approximately .500 winning record), and maybe back into the playoffs occasionally. But not the guy to take a team to the next level.

But the reason for that I see is less emotion than passivity. Jauron simply does not believe as a matter of coaching philosophy in taking control of a game. He worries less about taking a lead than he does about being in a position to take a lead at some future time. Review every game he's coached, and the overwelmingly common characteristic they all have is that his teams allow opponents to dictate the pace of play, which is fine with him as long as he can "remain competitive" and "be in a position to win in the final two minutes."

Contrast that to, say, the 2007 Patriots (or Landry's Cowboys, or Lombardi's Packers, or Vermeil's Rams, or Ditka's Bears), who played to win in the FIRST two minutes, not the last two.

I would venture to guess that Jauron would be a more aggressive coach with HOF QBs or the most dominating defense ever instead of having a guy who is struggling to get a UFL job.

I would venture to guess that Jauron would be a more aggressive coach with HOF QBs or the most dominating defense ever instead of having a guy who is struggling to get a UFL job.

Maybe. He has never really been an aggressive coach, though. Let's hope he thinks there is enough talent this year, to make the change. Most coaches can win with dominating talent. I fear DJ still won't be aggressive, and many will say "He still didn't have enough talent."

And what is the trickle down effect of that to the players. You heard Jim Kelly, you can't distinguish a loss from a win Monday in the locker room. The players seem content to be competitive.

And what is the trickle down effect of that to the players. You heard Jim Kelly, you can't distinguish a loss from a win Monday in the locker room. The players seem content to be competitive.

I think the passivity can hurt the mentality and the club. Even if playing passively helps keep the mediocre team in games, it also helps to keep them mediocre. I'd honestly rather they loose by 20, playing balls-out, than lose by a last minute FG playing conservatively. That is because, I think they mentality and effort of playing all out, will help them when the talent gets better, and the passivity won't.

But, as for the yelling and screaming...who really gives a s#it? I think that is unrelated to good coaching or success.

While agree with the gist of your post, the above is absurd. DJ isn't the worst coach in the league. In fact he is far from it. I don't imagine Kotite could have coached any of the Bills squads to 7 wins, and certainly not the 2007 club, with all those injuries.

EDIT: While Jauron may be uninspired, and definitely costs his team some wins, he is not totally incompetent, when it comes to preparing a team. I can't say the same about Kotite.

I guess it comes to down to how a person defines "competent".

Kotite was able to produce 2 winning seasons, and won a playoff game in his 6 seasons as HC.

Forget about playoff wins, the "Dick" has yet to produce 2 winning seasons in his 8 years as a HC.

Near the end of his six year career, even Kotite realized his coaching gaffes were costing him wins, and the "only solution" was to remove the HC.

After 8 years, Jauron just figured out "he" needs to do a better job of time and game management. I now wonder how many years it will take him to figure out a solution. Hopefully, Ralph has made it clear Jauron better have a workable solution to the coaching gaffes this year, or Ralph will exercise his right to provide the "only solution" at his disposal.

After 9 years of futility, I am ready for the Bills to take the next step. However, being saddled with a proven loser of a HC, the only thing I can do is "hope".

The "be inspired by him" is interesting and you may have hit on something there. The players are supposed to like him and like playing for him. It may be that there is a subtle but substantial difference between "liking to play for him" and "being inspired by him"....... "him" being DJ. Have any of the players said exactly why they like playing for him?

I remember having a boss or two that I "liked" working for too.....mostly because I did whatever the hell I wanted to and got away with just about everything.

We have a bunch of Bills haters in the press talking about nothing. We had a great draft, revamped our O-line and picked up the highest producing WR over the past 3 years. Dallas didn't win any SB with T.O. either but they can buy anyone they want and we have their best offensive weapon now. Stroud was a weapon last year, POZ our highest producing tackler, we now have a new great first stepper in Maybin and have a few healthy people coming back.

I attribute all of this to our current coaching staff and give 0 credit outside of it. I see bigger things for us this year and the light will finally shine on Buffalo instead of the usual suspects. DJ, Russ and crew get this season to put it all together, they have my support, the bigger question is do they have yours?

Your coaching sucks, it really really sucks. With the exception of Bobby April

We have a bunch of Bills haters in the press talking about nothing. We had a great draft, revamped our O-line and picked up the highest producing WR over the past 3 years. Dallas didn't win any SB with T.O. either but they can buy anyone they want and we have their best offensive weapon now. Stroud was a weapon last year, POZ our highest producing tackler, we now have a new great first stepper in Maybin and have a few healthy people coming back.

I attribute all of this to our current coaching staff and give 0 credit outside of it. I see bigger things for us this year and the light will finally shine on Buffalo instead of the usual suspects. DJ, Russ and crew get this season to put it all together, they have my support, the bigger question is do they have yours?

Ummm ... okay, I'm coming late to the party that is called this thread, so I'm sure it's all been said, so let me add my "+1" ...

You'd be wrong. For lots of reasons, not limited to the simple fact that dominance doesn't start with a HOF QB.

And even if you were right...wouldn't say a hell of a lot about Jauron's coaching that he plays to not lose when he doesn't have good players. Could you even imagine Bill Parcells doing that? Did Belichick fold up like a cheap lawn chair when Brady went down injured?

You'd be wrong. For lots of reasons, not limited to the simple fact that dominance doesn't start with a HOF QB.

And even if you were right...wouldn't say a hell of a lot about Jauron's coaching that he plays to not lose when he doesn't have good players. Could you even imagine Bill Parcells doing that? Did Belichick fold up like a cheap lawn chair when Brady went down injured?

We have not had raw talent like this on the field for ~20 years, seriously. We finally have multiple pieces of the puzzle coming together and I expect better results in general. The Steelers had the hardest regular season schedule in the NFL last season and did very well for themselves. We have to be ready to play any team at anytime and be competitive. Do you really think that the Pats even thought twice about playing us for the past several years?? They manhandled us because we brought nothing to the table to scare them. They didn't need to score alot nor did we get killed but what threat did we offer anyone to say, oh man not the Bills again.

Our lines got meaner, our offense is loaded for bear and our secondary looks as strong as could be and we have the best Special teams available in the NFL bar none. Our average starting position will probably be in the top 5 of all NFL teams and it gives us an advantage we have not been able to capitalize on until just this year.

Call me a homer if you will but I am calling it as it lies with a healthy squad (god willing), we'll be in EVERY game we play this year. There will be no blow outs against us and we will have our chances to win EVERY game. I think that our team has a chance to be a top seed, maybe even 1st depending on a few other teams play. We have too many ways to score and I plan on us seeing good leads that force our opponents to pass, which plays into our ball hawks hands. We are going to blow some teams out early and later but the foot will be on the gas for 60:00 minutes, count on it.

We have not had raw talent like this on the field for ~20 years, seriously. We finally have multiple pieces of the puzzle coming together and I expect better results in general. The Steelers had the hardest regular season schedule in the NFL last season and did very well for themselves. We have to be ready to play any team at anytime and be competitive. Do you really think that the Pats even thought twice about playing us for the past several years?? They manhandled us because we brought nothing to the table to scare them. They didn't need to score alot nor did we get killed but what threat did we offer anyone to say, oh man not the Bills again.

Our lines got meaner, our offense is loaded for bear and our secondary looks as strong as could be and we have the best Special teams available in the NFL bar none. Our average starting position will probably be in the top 5 of all NFL teams and it gives us an advantage we have not been able to capitalize on until just this year.

Call me a homer if you will but I am calling it as it lies with a healthy squad (god willing), we'll be in EVERY game we play this year. There will be no blow outs against us and we will have our chances to win EVERY game. I think that our team has a chance to be a top seed, maybe even 1st depending on a few other teams play. We have too many ways to score and I plan on us seeing good leads that force our opponents to pass, which plays into our ball hawks hands. We are going to blow some teams out early and later but the foot will be on the gas for 60:00 minutes, count on it.

who are these players that have increased the talent level from 2008 by such a huge margin to challenge for #1 in the AFC?

The Bills basically added a 35 yr old WR who drops a lot of passes and may have already hit the wall. With his addition, you are convinced that the offense has become an unstoppable juggernaut even though the same clown coaches are running the show.

The additions on the OL got the Bills younger, but probably not better for 2009. The OL performance may discount whatever improvements they made to the skill positions.

It will be interesting to see if the QB myopists will demand Edwards be nailed to a post and his nuts set on fire (those Romans really knew justice and a good time) if/when the Bills offense comes out and lays another steaming pile. Can't point the finger at Losman any more; and, the rest of the team, coaching included, is wholly irrelevant, eh?

I'll have to go get some marshmallows for the witch/QB burnings... :doh:

Do you really think that the Pats even thought twice about playing us for the past several years?? They manhandled us because we brought nothing to the table to scare them. They didn't need to score alot nor did we get killed but what threat did we offer anyone to say, oh man not the Bills again.

How could you forget this?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2934...&week=REG11

7 touchdowns in 7 possessions is not just getting killed. It's is being embarrassed, pillaged, humiliated, folded, spindled and mutilated.

How could you forget this?

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2934...&week=REG11

7 touchdowns in 7 possessions is not just getting killed. It's is being embarrassed, pillaged, humiliated, folded, spindled and mutilated.

2007 ?? They killed everybody in the regular season that year, how could you forget that? I was referring to 2008 and the fact that we didn't exactly get drilled into dozens of pieces, mind you they also didn't have a healthy Tom Brady is a known variant & understood.