Yahoo! bringing data center to WNY

EndZoneCrew

plus the cold air in the winter to keep the servers cool.

I don't think the cold air had anything to do with it. It's not like you open up the DC doors in winter to cool everything down - you still use the AC units. :thumbsup:

Regardless, that's potentially good news for WNY!

I think it had to do with the low cost of electricity plus the cold air in the winter to keep the servers cool.

:thumbsup:

Nicely done Senor Gato!

In all honesty, this is the first time I've read some good news job wise for WNY in long time. Like was said above, it's not a gigantic economic boom, but it's a start.

I don't think the cold air had anything to do with it. It's not like you open up the DC doors in winter to cool everything down - you still use the AC units. :thumbsup:

Regardless, that's potentially good news for WNY!

Actually it does - at least according to the folks at Yahoo that are in charge of choosing the site. They have been in discussions/negotiations for the past few months, and have stated that the cool climate is among the criteria in the site selection....

"Yahoo designed its forthcoming data center to let outside air cool the servers at all times, borrowing the idea from the design of a chicken coop, according to Yahoo co-founder David Filo."

link

"Yahoo! Is not thwarted by Buffalo’s renowned winters and cold lake effect winds, In fact they are very interested in incorporating the regions cold weather conditions into their architectural and engineering layout and the development of their site. As stated by a representative Scott Noteboom of Yahoo! at a Lockport Town Planning Board Meeting on June 17th, “Our challenge here is a little more on the cold side, these buildings are designed to breathe, and we’re running the cooling system on outside air.” Stating the region’s cool lake winds aids in their ability to decrease resources to cool the Data Center by utilization of the already cold wind patterns of the area. Buffalo’s weather conditions thus aid to decrease the overall costs of running their Data Center."

link

Actually it does - at least according to the folks at Yahoo that are in charge of choosing the site. They have been in discussions/negotiations for the past few months, and have stated that the cool climate is among the criteria in the site selection....

"Yahoo designed its forthcoming data center to let outside air cool the servers at all times, borrowing the idea from the design of a chicken coop, according to Yahoo co-founder David Filo."

link

"Yahoo! Is not thwarted by Buffalo’s renowned winters and cold lake effect winds, In fact they are very interested in incorporating the regions cold weather conditions into their architectural and engineering layout and the development of their site. As stated by a representative Scott Noteboom of Yahoo! at a Lockport Town Planning Board Meeting on June 17th, “Our challenge here is a little more on the cold side, these buildings are designed to breathe, and we’re running the cooling system on outside air.” Stating the region’s cool lake winds aids in their ability to decrease resources to cool the Data Center by utilization of the already cold wind patterns of the area. Buffalo’s weather conditions thus aid to decrease the overall costs of running their Data Center."

link

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase dont f it up WNY officials. At least its not in Erie County so that risk is slightly lower...-

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase dont f it up WNY officials. At least its not in Erie County so that risk is slightly lower...-

They are breaking ground next month so this one is a done deal

Hopefully this is a start for our area...we can certainly market it. I think it had to do with the low cost of electricity plus the cold air in the winter to keep the servers cool.

Yes, hopefully! I know they are trying to entice Verizon and another company who's name escapes me at the moment (I'll have to look it up) with the same type of Yahoo deal. Hey 75-125 jobs starting at $65,000 is nice deal for this area...

Yes, hopefully! I know they are trying to entice Verizon and another company who's name escapes me at the moment (I'll have to look it up) with the same type of Yahoo deal. Hey 75-125 jobs starting at $65,000 is nice deal for this area...

Agreed.....and Here is the article about YAHO and the potential for more growth

Sunworks Solar - plans to build a plant to manufacture solar panels...

link

link

Interesting to note that Dallas - one of the hotest areas in the country has significant data center infrastructure - EDS, Perot Systems, ADS and Experian all have huge presence here on a data center front. I know from personal involvement that cooling costs here are huge - good for Yahoo on this one - smart call on their part.

They are breaking ground next month so this one is a done deal

I don't mean to pee on any barbecues, but don't kid yourself on that one. When I lived out in Salt Lake from '93-'03, there was a massive microchip plant built in Alpine, UT - just south of Salt Lake, just north of Provo. And I mean massive. They JUST got the last coat of paint on the place and the company bailed because the bottom fell out of the chip market (again). I Googled it before I wrote this post. You can see the thing from space. It's huge. And I believe very strongly that it's still empty nearly 10 years later. I think the company was Micron.

(Side note - another thing that left it in a precarious position was the fact that they were trying to make chips - an aggressively water-intensive process - in a desert. They ought to make THOSE in WNY, particularly now that the Great Lakes Compact has been signed).

This having been said, I caught the Yahoo announcement the other day on Channel 10 (TW Cable). That is such great news. Truly truly great news. The next big one that I'm watching is the wind turbine company that's in talks with New Process Gear in Syracuse to build turbines instead of auto transmissions. To echo another poster....."PLEASE DON'T 'F' IT UP"!!!!

link

link

Interesting... Not sure how they'll stop the polutants (pollen, dust, etc) from coming in though...

And why pick WNY? It doesn't get that cold... Move up to Duluth or Embarass, MN and it'd be much colder for much longer...

Hope it works out for WNY though!

It is pretty simple to use a HEMA electronic filter to screen out dust and such.

They will probably build rooms servers underground to take advantage of the natural ambient temperature difference underground and try to use the waste heat to heat other levels above, hot water, etc and use it even to sell. If they use water for cooling they will locate the water storage underground as well.

One company at a time. One industry at a time. A few jobs here and maybe a hundred more down the line and slowly some momentum can grow. This sort of news is a nice little morale boost Don't forget that over a century ago Buffalo was one of the most prosperous and populous cities in the country. The weather was not that much differnt back then. There are numerous examples of northern cities that thrive economically. When one is doing well on the job front it is much easier to endure the weather. There is much room to grow downtown. UB is trying to expand downtown. Making a downtown where people can safely live and work would be great for Buffalo. The state and local government needs to seriously examine the tax constraints preventing companies from locating in WNY.

Interesting... Not sure how they'll stop the polutants (pollen, dust, etc) from coming in though...

And why pick WNY? It doesn't get that cold... Move up to Duluth or Embarass, MN and it'd be much colder for much longer...

Hope it works out for WNY though!

It's the whole "Green" thing - besides a cooler climate, the NYSPA has allocated 10 Megawatts of cheap (i.e., 'free'), clean hydroelectric power.

Yahoo! data center will be powered by Niagara Falls