SCOTUS Rules in Favor of New Haven Firefighters

Not invite them to your party? Not let them come to work in certain clothes? Publicly ridicule them with offensive language on the street? Not consider them your equal because of the way they dress? Choose someone to hire that dresses in darker more traditional fall clothes even though they have the same qualifications?

The point is obvious. There are different kinds of discrimination and there are different levels of discrimination. Some equate and some don't. People like yourself that argue there is no such thing as "reverse" discrimination are entirely correct insofar as reverse discrimination is just discrimination against a race, and it's the same thing either way you look at it. That's true if you choose to look at it that way.

But there are different kinds of discrimination, be it racial or age or gender or others, and some are equal and some are not, and some it is arguable as to whether they are equal. People that argue there is a concept of "reverse discrimination" make specific distinctions, like it's a minority discriminating against a majority. That makes it different if you are breaking it down, which was my original point, and dictionaries make that distinction. It doesn't say that one is better or worse, lesser or greater. It's just a different kind of discrimination.

Like apples and oranges are fruits. You're saying they're equal and both fruits. Other people make break it down and say sure, they're both fruits because they grow on trees and have seeds but there are small differences that distinguish them.

There are some people who believe that "reverse discrimination" in racial cases is not as bad as racial discrimination, because the minority has been discriminated against for so long, so bad, that it's okay that the majority now gets some of their own medicine. There isn't a right or wrong about that, it's an opinion. You would surely believe that's completely stupid and totally wrong.

In my mind it's all the same. How do I determine that? Ask the person who was discriminated against and ask how they felt. Regardless of why they were discriminated against and by whom, they will all probably discribe their feelings the same. Even the person dressed in white who was not let into your party. Just because someone sometime ago came up with the term "reverse discrimination" to describe blacks discriminating against whites (I guess that's what it means) and because people ran with it, it found itself in the dictionary. That doesn't mean it makes any sense. Threequel is a word according the the American Heritage Dictionary.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind it's all the same. How do I determine that? Ask the person who was discriminated against and ask how they felt. Regardless of why they were discriminated against and by whom, they will all probably discribe their feelings the same. Even the person dressed in white who was not let into your party. Just because someone sometime ago came up with the term "reverse discrimination" to describe blacks discriminating against whites (I guess that's what it means) and because people ran with it, it found itself in the dictionary. That doesn't mean it makes any sense. Threequel is a word according the the American Heritage Dictionary.

Well, in my mind it's not the same. The white guy not getting the job because of discrimination is way worse than the guy not getting let into the party because of his clothes. They're both discrimination, they both feel bad and unfairly treated and may use the same words to describe it but there are not close in degree. One guy's night is ruined, the other guy doesn't have a job he probably needs. You badmouth the guy who doesn't let the bad dresser into a party, you take the guy who doesn't hire to court.

Well, in my mind it's not the same. The white guy not getting the job because of discrimination is way worse than the guy not getting let into the party because of his clothes. They're both discrimination, they both feel bad and unfairly treated and may use the same words to describe it but there are not close in degree. One guy's night is ruined, the other guy doesn't have a job he probably needs. You badmouth the guy who doesn't let the bad dresser into a party, you take the guy who doesn't hire to court.

Ok so now explain the difference between a white guy not getting a job because it "should" go to a black guy versus a black guy who doesn't get a job because it was given to a white guy.

Ok so now explain the difference between a white guy not getting a job because it "should" go to a black guy versus a black guy who doesn't get a job because it was given to a white guy.

In one way, there is no difference whatsoever and they are both equally bad and the same definition of discrimination.

In another way, it's about time white people felt how bad it is to be discriminated against like that. I think it's laughable how pissed white people get about the horrors of unfairness.

To be completely honest with you, I don't care if white people get passed over for a black guy or especially a black woman. It's about time. And I completely know that isn't fair, and I completely know it's hypocritical, and I completely understand how wrong it is. Still, I think it's pretty funny, because it's good for white people to feel how bad they treated minorities for a couple centuries.

I know it's a bad attitude and frankly I don't care. Things aren't fair, and until there isn't any more discrimination against Blacks and Hispanics and Asians and Women, I hope they get blatant favoritism. I think it's great in fact.

Same thing I thought about the OJ trial actually. I thought he was guilty as hell and a horrible worthless piece of schitt. But I thought and still think it's about time a black guy got away with killing a white person. Look at how offended people were that this guy got away. It was unbelievable the outrage.

Too bad it happened a million times the other way over 200 years.

In one way, there is no difference whatsoever and they are both equally bad and the same definition of discrimination.

In another way, it's about time white people felt how bad it is to be discriminated against like that. I think it's laughable how pissed white people get about the horrors of unfairness.

To be completely honest with you, I don't care if white people get passed over for a black guy or especially a black woman. It's about time. And I completely know that isn't fair, and I completely know it's hypocritical, and I completely understand how wrong it is. Still, I think it's pretty funny, because it's good for white people to feel how bad they treated minorities for a couple centuries.

I know it's a bad attitude and frankly I don't care. Things aren't fair, and until there isn't any more discrimination against Blacks and Hispanics and Asians and Women, I hope they get blatant favoritism. I think it's great in fact.

Same thing I thought about the OJ trial actually. I thought he was guilty as hell and a horrible worthless piece of schitt. But I thought and still think it's about time a black guy got away with killing a white person. Look at how offended people were that this guy got away. It was unbelievable the outrage.

Glad I gave you a soapbox to stand on. So according to your first sentance there is no such thing as reverse discrimination, it is just plain ole discrimination. It's just a made up term.

Oh and BTW I hope you don't get a by-pass operation by a crappy black heart surgeon that was given the job over an excellent white sugeon.

Glad I gave you a soapbox to stand on. So according to your first sentance there is no such thing as reverse discrimination, it is just plain ole discrimination. It's just a made up term.

Are you completely dense? It's now the fourth time I explained the same thing the same way in the same thread. IN ONE WAY IT'S THE SAME. THEY ARE BOTH EQUAL.

There is more than one way to look at something and both of them being true, you know.

Outrage? It's more like pity. Pity that people like you think that your attitude is going to change anything. It just continues a very bad cycle.

I don't think my attitude about this is going to change anything whatsoever. Whatever gave you that idea?

Oh, and I call bullschit that you were not outraged at times when minorities were given undue preference. You were pissed, and still are, go on admit it. :devil:

Are you completely dense? It's now the fourth time I explained the same thing the same way in the same thread. IN ONE WAY IT'S THE SAME. THEY ARE BOTH EQUAL.

There is more than one way to look at something and both of them being true, you know.

Then why is there a term reverse discrimination?

All various kinds of discrimination are discrimination.

One of the various kinds of discrimination is reverse discrimination.

Not all kinds of discrimination are reverse discrimination.

Is that so hard?

Yes because to me the term reverse discrimination is a made up term to descibe something that ignorant people thought never happened before. Oh look those black people are discriminating against white people, I've never heard of that before, we need to make up a new term for this. It's discrimination plain and simple. It's just a nonsensicle term to me.

Yes because to me the term reverse discrimination is a made up term to descibe something that ignorant people thought never happened before. Oh look those black people are discriminating against white people, I've never heard of that before, we need to make up a new term for this. It's discrimination plain and simple. It's just a nonsensicle term to me.

I suggest you chew on this for awhile then. :devil:

Steven F. Lawson - Double Reverse Discrimination - Reviews in American History 27:3 Reviews in American History 27.3 (1999) 477-481 Double Reverse Discrimination Steven F. Lawson J. Morgan Kousser. Colorblind Injustice: Minority Voting Rights and the Undoing of the Second Reconstruction. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1999. 590 pp. Figures, tables, notes, bibliography, and index. $65.00 (cloth); $29.95 (paper).

I suggest you chew on this for awhile then. :D

I think you're making my point. They're just making stuff up. I just don't like the term. Hell call it hatin' on the honkey mofos, I mean that's really what it is right? :devil:

Not in any dictionary I've ever read.

I wasn't as clear about it as Kelly was. But reverse discrimination is defined as a specific type of discrimination.

So if there's an instance where a minority group is discriminating against a majority group, it is still discrimination, but the type and term associated with that is called reverse discrimination.

Holy crap. You just made Barney Frank, Bishops Hedd, Blzrul and Nancy Pelosi all look like they're right of Ronald Reagan. You make "high and mighty" look like "low and cowardly."

Wrong things happen. What makes wrong things really bad things is when they KEEP happening, and in case you haven't noticed, the people of the United States of America -- including primarily white people -- just elected a black man to the most powerful position in the world and simultaneously apologized for the treatment of blacks that none of us were even alive to witness. Your answer is to start discrminating against white people until when? Until you feel like your version of justice has been served?

I'm honestly stunned that you not only admitted this nonsense, but that you simulateously admit that it's nonsense. I can only suspect you're tying one on in Florida because it's not like you to say ridiculous crap like this just to rile people up.

Holy crap. You just made Barney Frank, Bishops Hedd, Blzrul and Nancy Pelosi all look like they're right of Ronald Reagan. You make "high and mighty" look like "low and cowardly."

Wrong things happen. What makes wrong things really bad things is when they KEEP happening, and in case you haven't noticed, the people of the United States of America -- including primarily white people -- just elected a black man to the most powerful position in the world and simultaneously apologized for the treatment of blacks that none of us were even alive to witness. Your answer is to start discrminating against white people until when? Until you feel like your version of justice has been served?

I'm honestly stunned that you not only admitted this nonsense, but that you simulateously admit that it's nonsense. I can only suspect you're tying one on in Florida because it's not like you to say ridiculous crap like this just to rile people up.

Hey, I'm just being honest. I am not saying all blacks or hispanics or women should get all the jobs. I am saying I have no problem with some of the minorities, especially women and blacks, getting preferential treatment because they have been getting and are still getting the raw end of the deal every day.

I am not saying black people should kill white people at all, I am saying I don't mind at all that one guy got away with it because look at the uproar. People couldnt BELIEVE a guy got away with murder, they were SO appalled, when it happened tens of thousands of times the other way around. Again, I think even the outrage from people here that I expected is just plain funny.

We have come a long way as a country in less discrimination but we have a long, long, long way to go. I think in probably 50-75 years we may be over it, when the youngest kids of today are the elderly and their kids and grandkids make up the majority of the population, maybe there will be some real equality. I wouldnt bet on it but it's a hope.

As I said, I know it's not fair. But I also don't think it's "fair" for something atrocious to go on for 200 years and then everyone to just say "Okay, we're cool now, we're even, right?" when in no way are we cool or even now, let alone looking back. I don't mind women and blacks and hispanics getting the benefit of the doubt and the upper hand. To me, they deserve it. And I am not at all, in any way, asking you or anyone anywhere to feel this way.

Hey, I'm just being honest. I am not saying all blacks or hispanics or women should get all the jobs. I am saying I have no problem with some of the minorities, especially women and blacks, getting preferential treatment because they have been getting and are still getting the raw end of the deal every day.

I am not saying black people should kill white people at all, I am saying I don't mind at all that one guy got away with it because look at the uproar. People couldnt BELIEVE a guy got away with murder, they were SO appalled, when it happened tens of thousands of times the other way around. Again, I think even the outrage from people here that I expected is just plain funny.

We have come a long way as a country in less discrimination but we have a long, long, long way to go. I think in probably 50-75 years we may be over it, when the youngest kids of today are the elderly and their kids and grandkids make up the majority of the population, maybe there will be some real equality. I wouldnt bet on it but it's a hope.

As I said, I know it's not fair. But I also don't think it's "fair" for something atrocious to go on for 200 years and then everyone to just say "Okay, we're cool now, we're even, right?" when in no way are we cool or even now, let alone looking back. I don't mind women and blacks and hispanics getting the benefit of the doubt and the upper hand. To me, they deserve it. And I am not at all, in any way, asking you or anyone anywhere to feel this way.

So how would your feel if that really crappy black doctor with the scalpel was just about cut open your chest got that job over the white doctor just because he was black?

So how would your feel if that really crappy black doctor with the scalpel was just about cut open your chest got that job over the white doctor just because he was black?

That's not what I am saying. If they are equal, I don't mind the black guy getting the job over the white guy. So that scenario would never happen.

Right now, there is a better chance of it being the other way around though, that the qualified black doctor did not get the job over the lesser qualified white doctor with the scalpel in his hand.