Anyone Agree with Tim Graham on This?

When a player sits-out the entire off- and pre-season, decides to come back the day before the season starts, plays like crap and doesn't give a sh-- that he does, he doesn't deserve a huge new contract. Other guys actually showed-up to off-season activities, and then got paid. Good riddance.

I'm with you.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a player sits-out the entire off- and pre-season, decides to come back the day before the season starts, plays like crap and doesn't give a sh-- that he does, he doesn't deserve a huge new contract. Other guys actually showed-up to off-season activities, and then got paid. Good riddance.

Of course the hold out was after Russ told Peters that he wasn't going to talk to him period until after he got a deal done with Lee Evans, if and when that ever happened.

It begs the question: WTF? Is the Bills brain trust capable of only holding one thing in its collective head at a time? Or is it that they can't make good offers and retain more than one top player a year? How would that work out if the Bills actually did hit gold and had a great draft class with several superstars all playing out contracts at the same time? Even if it is an economic limitation, why slam the door in the guy's face? Not exactly a great negotiation tactic, as it led to a holdout and eventually getting rid of a talented player that could've helped the team be better.

Of course the hold out was after Russ told Peters that he wasn't going to talk to him period until after he got a deal done with Lee Evans, if and when that ever happened.

No, Brandon said he wouldn't talk to Peters about a new contract until he showed up first, and then after taking-care of Evans' contract, which happened at the beginning of October. And again, none of that excuses his poor play, and worse yet, his "who gives a F" attitude. You act and play like a professional no matter how much you make.

No, Brandon said he wouldn't talk to Peters about a new contract until he showed up first, and then after taking-care of Evans' contract, which happened at the beginning of October. And again, none of that excuses his poor play, and worse yet, his "who gives a F" attitude. You act and play like a professional no matter how much you make.

NO

Brandon told Peters in January there was to be NO new deal in 2008 - he still had 3 years left.

Brandon admitted to this at the time of the Peters trade.

they wanted Peters to play at his current salary and would talk in 2009.

Peters had other ideas - but not alot of options

NO

Brandon told Peters in January there was to be NO new deal in 2008 - he still had 3 years left.

I'm still waiting for the link from you where Brandon says this. And again, it still doesn't excuse his performance and attitude. If he has another season in Philly like he did last year, he'll be crucified by the Philly media. He has a lot to live up to now and he'll be under tremendous pressure to produce. In Buffalo he could toil in relative anonymity. He's in for a huge culture shock.

I'm still waiting for the link from you where Brandon says this. And again, it still doesn't excuse his performance and attitude. If he has another season in Philly like he did last year, he'll be crucified by the Philly media. He has a lot to live up to now and he'll be under tremendous pressure to produce. In Buffalo he could toil in relative anonymity. He's in for a huge culture shock.

It was notes from a Bills Backers meeting written by Lori Chase. Good enough?

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/articles/game_day/127/

I would feel worse about JP being gone if:

1.) The line with him played great the last few years. Face it, he has never been part of a line that was special. That is not all his fault but he hasn't seemed to be any kind of spark for the OL.

2.) He has had injury issues and I predict he will again this year with Philly.

3.) He was the ultimate jerk towards his team and protecting TE. He didn't feel bad giving up a sack when he thought about his salary.

Personally, I would have a sick sort of feeling right now if the Bills had signed him up for $10 million a year with a lot of guaranteed money. Injuries, lack of motivation, lack of gelling with the other guys on the line, could all have been negatives this year with JP. I don't think the line as a whole would have played better this year with him versus without him.

I would feel worse about JP being gone if:

1.) The line with him played great the last few years. Face it, he has never been part of a line that was special. That is not all his fault but he hasn't seemed to be any kind of spark for the OL.

How does the "nothing special" feeling fit with the fact that the line in 2007 gave up the least number of sacks for a Bills team ever? I'm not picking on your opinion. I'm actually curious because at the end of 07 posters here were claiming the Bills had an up-and-coming great line; and, with the addition of James Hardy and the subtraction of Steve Fairchild, the offense was going to be awesome in 08.

NO

Yeah, he had a great idea, instead of playing GREAT, like he wanted a new contract & was going to PROVE he deserved it, his idea was to TANK the season. :wallbash::)

He was doing what his agent told him to do. Maybe his smartest trait is realizing his own intellectual limitations and listening to the person he has hired to watch his back contract wise.

Certainly, when you evaluate the eventual outcomes, looks like Peters did very well.... and Brandon did very very badly for the Bills.

Peters and his agent never whined once to the media, that was Brandon if you will remember.

I have no problem at all with the way Peters conducted himself he was the smartest guy in the room (or repped by the smartest guy) even if you include all the Bills brain trust.

How does the "nothing special" feeling fit with the fact that the line in 2007 gave up the least number of sacks for a Bills team ever? I'm not picking on your opinion. I'm actually curious because at the end of 07 posters here were claiming the Bills had an up-and-coming great line; and, with the addition of James Hardy and the subtraction of Steve Fairchild, the offense was going to be awesome in 08.

The running backs often looked like they had to do a lot on their own. The passing game often had to focus on the short game. Other factors like QB also play into it and clearly other OL besides Peters play into the line play. In any case despite the feeling at the end of 07, after 08 the Bills felt like they had to redo the entire line.

Another thing is other teams have not feared the Bills OL. I remember in 2007 before one of the two games with the Bills, Belicheat* was commenting on the Bills during his weekly radio interview, and he* stated that Buffalo has a lot of good players at the SKILL positions, emphasizing the word skill. He specifically mentioned Evans and Lynch and some others. The point is he* was trying to think of good things to say about Buffalo before the game, etc. like coaches always do about opponents, and he never said a word about the OL as an issue for him, but focused on the skill positions as being worthy of respect.

He was doing what his agent told him to do. Maybe his smartest trait is realizing his own intellectual limitations and listening to the person he has hired to watch his back contract wise.

Here is what Peters said when he reported to the Bills last year:

My agent (Eugene Parker) called me and was, like, 'Jason, you need to be there on Saturday. You have to be there on Saturday. I'm not taking no for an answer.' And I showed up," Peters said.

That tells me that Parker had been telling Peters to show up much earlier, and probably at the latest for the start of training camp, and that the protracted holdout was Peters' decision and his decision alone.

Certainly, when you evaluate the eventual outcomes, looks like Peters did very well.... and Brandon did very very badly for the Bills.

Peters got paid, just as he would have with the Bills although without revealing to the world how unprofessional, and dumb, he is. But the Bills got a 1st round draft pick for him, despite shockingly little interest in him (that is, for "the best LT in the NFL!"), so they didn't do "very very badly" unless Wood and Nelson are total busts.

As I told spartacus, Peters will now have to play every down like he IS the best LT in football, to justify his contract and ego. If he doesn't, he'll get crucified by the fans and media, and it doesn't appear that he has the mental makeup to handle that. Toiling in the relative anonymity of Buffalo is a far cry from the harsh media fishbowl of Philly, and Peters will soon learn that cold hard fact. So we'll see who did "very very badly."

Here is what Peters said when he reported to the Bills last year:

That tells me that Parker had been telling Peters to show up much earlier, and probably at the latest for the start of training camp, and that the protracted holdout was Peters' decision and his decision alone.

Peters got paid, just as he would have with the Bills although without revealing to the world how unprofessional, and dumb, he is. But the Bills got a 1st round draft pick for him, despite shockingly little interest in him (that is, for "the best LT in the NFL!"), so they didn't do "very very badly" unless Wood and Nelson are total busts.

As I told spartacus, Peters will now have to play every down like he IS the best LT in football, to justify his contract and ego. If he doesn't, he'll get crucified by the fans and media, and it doesn't appear that he has the mental makeup to handle that. Toiling in the relative anonymity of Buffalo is a far cry from the harsh media fishbowl of Philly, and Peters will soon learn that cold hard fact. So we'll see who did "very very badly."

Lets see,

Did Peters get out of his contract years ahead of schedule despite claims by Brandonosexuals like yourself that the Bills had the poor idiot by the balls? Yes, yes he did.

Did he get more money than the Bills were willing to pay? Why yes, yes he did.

Did he become the highest paid OT in the league? Why yes, I do believe he did.

Did he get to a larger market with a team that is not about to get sold to Canadians? By George, I think he did!

Did he get to a team that is a perennial contender with a respected, successful coach and away from a team that hasn't been able to get out of its own way for 9 years? Somehow that fat, lazy, stupid moron who the Bills had by the balls managed that trick too.

Hard to believe that Peters can't see what a huge mistake he made.

Lets see,

Did Peters get out of his contract years ahead of schedule despite claims by Brandonosexuals like yourself that the Bills had the poor idiot by the balls? Yes, yes he did.

Did he get more money than the Bills were willing to pay? Why yes, yes he did.

Did he become the highest paid OT in the league? Why yes, I do believe he did.

Did he get to a larger market with a team that is not about to get sold to Canadians? By George, I think he did!

Did he get to a team that is a perennial contender with a respected, successful coach and away from a team that hasn't been able to get out of its own way for 9 years? Somehow that fat, lazy, stupid moron who the Bills had by the balls managed that trick too.

Hard to believe that Peters can't see what a huge mistake he made.

I can believe it. He's physically gifted for sure, but mentally he's not all there. I'm sure even his agent would admit that, although Peters lovers like yourself won't.

The Bills had him by the balls, but realized he'd pull the same stunt again. They made the best of a bad situation. Especially given Peters' poor performance last year with no guarantee he'd ever play well again.

And he'd have gotten paid by the Bills. Now he'll be in the spotlight every weekend because he's the 2nd highest-paid player on the team, protecting the highest-paid player. In a huge fishbowl. You know what they say about the grass being greener...

What would be hilarious is if the Eagles miss the playoffs, which is very possible, and Reid gets fired, which is what would happen. While the Bills make the playoffs.

That link actually proves my point, i.e. that Brandon started working on Peters' contract right after Evans', which was at the beginning of October. Peters wanted nothing to do with a new deal.

So, in other words, you agree that Brandon said he told Peters he wasn't going to negotiate a new deal until after the Evans negotiation concluded. Exactly what I wrote.

The running backs often looked like they had to do a lot on their own. The passing game often had to focus on the short game. Other factors like QB also play into it and clearly other OL besides Peters play into the line play. In any case despite the feeling at the end of 07, after 08 the Bills felt like they had to redo the entire line.

Another thing is other teams have not feared the Bills OL. I remember in 2007 before one of the two games with the Bills, Belicheat* was commenting on the Bills during his weekly radio interview, and he* stated that Buffalo has a lot of good players at the SKILL positions, emphasizing the word skill. He specifically mentioned Evans and Lynch and some others. The point is he* was trying to think of good things to say about Buffalo before the game, etc. like coaches always do about opponents, and he never said a word about the OL as an issue for him, but focused on the skill positions as being worthy of respect.

Thanks for the response. I tend to agree and felt the "least number of sacks" stat was overblown. Effective line play isn't about having 1 stud and a bunch of marshmallows. If you look at the Rams, they had Orlando Pace, one of the best LTs of all time, and they still had many problems up front, couldn't protect the QB (sacks came from the blindside even) and had a sputtering running game. Not so coincidentally, Dick Jauron hired a coach out of St. Louis to install the same system here.

The Bills had him by the balls, but realized he'd pull the same stunt again. They made the best of a bad situation. Especially given Peters' poor performance last year with no guarantee he'd ever play well again.

And he'd have gotten paid by the Bills. Now he'll be in the spotlight every weekend because he's the 2nd highest-paid player on the team, protecting the highest-paid player. In a huge fishbowl. You know what they say about the grass being greener...

What would be hilarious is if the Eagles miss the playoffs, which is very possible, and Reid gets fired, which is what would happen. While the Bills make the playoffs.

I'm still unsure why fans focus on Peters' intelligence or supposed lack thereof. It seems as though some fans love ripping a guy who ultimately got his way with a bigger deal from a more relevant NFL franchise.

NFL players focus on playing the game, not negotiating contracts. They hire an agent to do that for them, so overall intelligence has no bearing on this situation. Eugene Parker has a history of winning for his clients, which is exactly what he got from Buffalo with the trade. He therefore benefits, as does Peters.

I would stop marginalizing a player who got paid and is now playing for a team that has a real shot at going deep into the playoffs. As for Andy Reid, he's got some issues off the field, but 5 NFC Championship games in 7 seasons tells me a lot about how darn good he is. The Bills meanwhile cannot approach that level of achievement. Therefore, ragging on the Eagles should be the last thing anyone should do, unless of course they visit RWS.

So, in other words, you agree that Brandon said he told Peters he wasn't going to negotiate a new deal until after the Evans negotiation concluded. Exactly what I wrote.

The question was whether Peters would get a new deal during the 2008 season. The answer was yes.

I'm still unsure why fans focus on Peters' intelligence or supposed lack thereof. It seems as though some fans love ripping a guy who ultimately got his way with a bigger deal from a more relevant NFL franchise.

NFL players focus on playing the game, not negotiating contracts. They hire an agent to do that for them, so overall intelligence has no bearing on this situation. Eugene Parker has a history of winning for his clients, which is exactly what he got from Buffalo with the trade. He therefore benefits, as does Peters.

I would stop marginalizing a player who got paid and is now playing for a team that has a real shot at going deep into the playoffs. As for Andy Reid, he's got some issues off the field, but 5 NFC Championship games in 7 seasons tells me a lot about how darn good he is. The Bills meanwhile cannot approach that level of achievement. Therefore, ragging on the Eagles should be the last thing anyone should do, unless of course they visit RWS.

The jab at his intelligence was in response to the "Hard to believe Peters can't see..." sentence. It's apparent his protracted holdout was his idea and against the wishes of his agent, which tells me that he's as dumb as his Wonderlic indicated. His comments about not caring if he surrendered a sack because he wasn't getting paid as much as he thought he was worth only confirmed that more. And seemingly as a result of his holdout, he had a subpar season. The Eagles better hope that was the reason, and that he's not giving-up double-digit sacks next year.

As for the Eagles, I wasn't slamming their success. I merely commented on how bloodthirsty their fans and media are, and how he can't merely hide away like he did in Buffalo. I also said that IF they miss the playoffs, which is a real possibility, then Reid will probably be fired. And then Peters going to "a perennial playoff/relevant NFL team" won't materialize. But hey, at least he's still getting paid.