Can't believe what I just saw..

Bruce Smith was a hell of a player, but as an individual he has proven to be nothing but a big jerk. I still remember seeing him at Jim Kelly's bar down town. He was standing on the stairs when I reached out to shake his hand and tell him that it was an honor to meet him in person. He looked at me, never put out his hand, and then looked away like I was just another nobody. That along with him missing several spring training camps and always crying year after year to be paid more has made me really not like him. Oh yeah, the 3 drunk driving arrests didn't do anything to show me he has improved his character. I think he would still be playing today if he didn't get the sack record yet. He played until he got the record because he is all about himself and loved the glory of people patting him on the back. Like I said, hell of a player, but a total jerk and should be put in the "HALL OF SHAME".

Substitute Doug Flutie for Bruce Smith, and I think Buffao Pride said pretty much the same thing in the latest Flutie thread! <_<

I dunno, I don't like Flutie, mostly because he wasn't as good as his rep seems to be amongst many Bills fans, and I didn't like him before he was a Bill...but Bruce Smith? Anything beyond murdering his wife, he gets a pass from me...one of the two greatest Buffalo Bills of all time...if his ego was big, who gives a crap? I could care less if he missed training camp sessions, or wanted more money... he was one of the greatest reasons to watch Bills football for about a decade. I agree, blasphemy!

BTW- I can't believe your feelings about Smith are so hardline, particularly if you are a big Fred Smerlas fan. He was as big an ass to ever wear a Bills uniform, and still is. He constantly carped about money, held out of training camps, faught with teammates (rumored to be a bit of a racist) and had his scrapes with the law. The guys ego was as big as anyones...great player, but no Bruce Smith...

Substitute Doug Flutie for Bruce Smith, and I think Buffao Pride said pretty much the same thing in the latest Flutie thread! <_<

I dunno, I don't like Flutie, mostly because he wasn't as good as his rep seems to be amongst many Bills fans, and I didn't like him before he was a Bill...but Bruce Smith? Anything beyond murdering his wife, he gets a pass from me...one of the two greatest Buffalo Bills of all time...if his ego was big, who gives a crap? I could care less if he missed training camp sessions, or wanted more money... he was one of the greatest reasons to watch Bills football for about a decade. I agree, blasphemy!

BTW- I can't believe your feelings about Smith are so hardline, particularly if you are a big Fred Smerlas fan. He was as big an ass to ever wear a Bills uniform, and still is. He constantly carped about money, held out of training camps, faught with teammates (rumored to be a bit of a racist) and had his scrapes with the law. The guys ego was as big as anyones...great player, but no Bruce Smith...

Pssst....he's not a Smerlas fan....he is Smerlas. Don't tell anyone.

Bruce Smith was a hell of a player, but as an individual he has proven to be nothing but a big jerk. I still remember seeing him at Jim Kelly's bar down town. He was standing on the stairs when I reached out to shake his hand and tell him that it was an honor to meet him in person. He looked at me, never put out his hand, and then looked away like I was just another nobody. That along with him missing several spring training camps and always crying year after year to be paid more has made me really not like him. Oh yeah, the 3 drunk driving arrests didn't do anything to show me he has improved his character. I think he would still be playing today if he didn't get the sack record yet. He played until he got the record because he is all about himself and loved the glory of people patting him on the back. Like I said, hell of a player, but a total jerk and should be put in the "HALL OF SHAME".

The one thing that would strengthen this argument is if Bruce actually had gotten into more trouble than he did. If he had a "Donte Stallworth moment" then we would undoubtedly remember him differently. But he didn't. Is that due to any credit on Bruce's part or just a function of dumb luck?

do you even know what sleep apnea is? because its not randomly falling asleep or passing out, that has nothing to do with sleep apnea.

Right, its what Reggie White died from I think. It's where you basically choke yourself to death while youre sleeping. If you've ever heard someone heavily snoring and gasping for breath while they sleep, thats sleep apnea.

One of the things I admired most about Bruce Smith was the way he presented himself to the media. He didn't come off as a wannabe gangster, gold teeth, rope chains, hat on sideways. He always wore a suit and tie to his post game interviews and conducted himself like a professional. I've never met him in person so I can't comment on whether or not he was a jerk towards fans, but I do know he made a generous donation to Lancaster High School to keep their football program going when their budget failed.

From everything that I read about the man, and remember from his playing days, I have to agree with your

assessment. Kelly was like that a bit too, my cousin who now resides in s. fla., originally from Bflo, was

entertaining his cousin, still from Bflo, and they ran into Kelly in a bar down there, this was while he was still playing.

The cousin goes up to him, and says, "Jim, it's a pleasure to meet you, I am from Buffalo"'while extending his hand. Kelly looks up at him, and slurs so f'n what, and stumbles away. They later observed him needing physical assistance leaving the bar. But at least he has cleaned his act up. I think that most of us expect arrogance from celebrities and athletes like

this, and most of them do not disaappoint us. That is why when you meet one that isn't, it almost floors you. I once met,

or more like stumbled upon Bob Hope, I was like 10 years old, he was sitting in the back of a Limo after a round of Golf.

He was obviously exhausted, I asked him for his autograph, but didn't have a pen, he told me to wait with him for his

driver, and we chatted for a while, boy, I wish I could remeber the conversation, but was probably lucky enough to realize

who he was. The driver came, he signed something, and they drove away. Now that is how celebrities should behave,

and there weren't any bigger than BH. I have no clue what I did with it.

So I'm watching BDSSP, and they're doing one of their Top 50 Sports Bloopers shows, at #13, or #14 they show Bruce being interviewed by a host I didn't recognize, on some show SBTV!?! The guy asks Bruce a question, and suddenly the big man just passes out, hits the floor, with his hands still in his pockets!! I know it was an old clip because the host was asking Bruce a question about Flutie being the starter... does anybody remember this happening at the time? Even more importantly, do any of you recall seeing Bruce speaking in public recently (on T.V. or live) This would be a disaster if it were to happen again at the HOF ceremonies. :ph34r:

Don't read much, do ya?

From everything that I read about the man, and remember from his playing days, I have to agree with your

assessment. Kelly was like that a bit too, my cousin who now resides in s. fla., originally from Bflo, was

entertaining his cousin, still from Bflo, and they ran into Kelly in a bar down there, this was while he was still playing.

The cousin goes up to him, and says, "Jim, it's a pleasure to meet you, I am from Buffalo"'while extending his hand. Kelly looks up at him, and slurs so f'n what, and stumbles away. They later observed him needing physical assistance leaving the bar. But at least he has cleaned his act up. I think that most of us expect arrogance from celebrities and athletes like

this, and most of them do not disaappoint us. That is why when you meet one that isn't, it almost floors you. I once met,

or more like stumbled upon Bob Hope, I was like 10 years old, he was sitting in the back of a Limo after a round of Golf.

He was obviously exhausted, I asked him for his autograph, but didn't have a pen, he told me to wait with him for his

driver, and we chatted for a while, boy, I wish I could remeber the conversation, but was probably lucky enough to realize

who he was. The driver came, he signed something, and they drove away. Now that is how celebrities should behave,

and there weren't any bigger than BH. I have no clue what I did with it.

Boo hoo...Bruce Smith treated me like I didn't matter to him....Jim Kelly was too buzzed to give a crap that my cousins' cousin was from Buffalo...these guys deserve to be booted from the HOF!

IIRC, that happened about 10 years ago. It was SB week, I want to say in Atlanta, but too long ago to remember...

Actually now I remember the question, it was the old RJ v Flutie debate. The year of the Miracle forward pass. It was Atlanta, right after the Tennessee v J'ville afc champ game. :D

I love how you put that, because it should be called the Music city forward pass-because it was really a F*ing forward pass!! Man, if flutie was playing, it would have never happened because the game would not have even been close!!! I forgot how much that play pissed me off!!

Neither do you, obviously! My question as stated above asks if anyone has knowledge of this behaviour (passing out in a public or televised forum) before or since, and how it could affect the enshrinement in August. Seriously, some of you people on this board are rediculously predictable in your responses! If you don't know the answer to a question, simply say "I don't know".

Boo hoo...Bruce Smith treated me like I didn't matter to him....Jim Kelly was too buzzed to give a crap that my cousins' cousin was from Buffalo...these guys deserve to be booted from the HOF!

You miss the point. Moron! Nobody said that they were bad people, undeserving of the HOF. Just simply

responding to another's observation. These guys do not owe us anything, but just because they are

celebrities, doesn't mean that they can treat others like sh--. It eventually catches up to them, unless they

change their stripes. How many DUI's does old Brucie have now. I agree that he was not a exactly a social

butterfly, but like others pointed out, he MOSTLY stayed out of trouble, and was a dominant force for us

for so many years, he kinda gets a flier.

BTW, what bridge did you say that you live under?

You miss the point. Moron! Nobody said that they were bad people, undeserving of the HOF. Just simply

responding to another's observation. These guys do not owe us anything, but just because they are

celebrities, doesn't mean that they can treat others like sh--. It eventually catches up to them, unless they

change their stripes. How many DUI's does old Brucie have now. I agree that he was not a exactly a social

butterfly, but like others pointed out, he MOSTLY stayed out of trouble, and was a dominant force for us

for so many years, he kinda gets a flier.

BTW, what bridge did you say that you live under?

Oh, it seemed like you were agreeing with the post (which you referenced) about how Bruce Smith belonged in the "Hall Of Shame", because he had a big ego...sorry if I misinterpreted your point about Jim Kelly not being nice to your cousins' cousin or whatever...back to my bridge.... :cry:

Oh, it seemed like you were agreeing with the post (which you referenced) about how Bruce Smith belonged in the "Hall Of Shame", because he had a big ego...sorry if I misinterpreted your point about Jim Kelly not being nice to your cousins' cousin or whatever...back to my bridge.... :cry:

[/quotBruce Smith belongs in the Hall of Fame. I said he belongs in the Hall of Shame only to point out that he was a total jerk to the Bills organizaion, the fans, and to the community in many ways. I know he has done good things like charities, and theres no doubt he is one of the top 4 or 5 defensive ends to ever to play the game. I never cared for him as a person but I rooted like hell for him on Sundays.

Oh, it seemed like you were agreeing with the post (which you referenced) about how Bruce Smith belonged in the "Hall Of Shame", because he had a big ego...sorry if I misinterpreted your point about Jim Kelly not being nice to your cousins' cousin or whatever...back to my bridge.... :thumbsup:

Well, I was kind of agreeing with him, late me make it clear to you. Bruce was an A-hole,

on and off the field, most of the time, although as one poster commented, he was always professional

in his presentation, soft spoken, polite. It's just that I, and I think a lot of others feel that it is impotant how you treat

the common man, people paying his salary. It is easy to be cordial and nice in front of the cameras. Would I want

him on my team, his surliness made him what he was, so hell yes. As far as Kelly goes, hell, who doesn't want a

cocky QB, it is almost a prerequisite to success. Big Ben is currently like Kelly in his early years, and the motorcycle

accident has done nothing to change that. Boy I wish we had Big Ben. So to summarize for you, I don't know if

it makes them good or bad people, we can only go by what we have observed, and I think we have to reserve judgement on this until their whole bodies of works have been thoroughly compiled, and it won't be our job anyway.

BTW, no offense taken to your comments, just good open venomous dialouge, I refer to everyone that takes shots at me, as moron. I don't really mean it.

It's good that you've been able to move on. :thumbsup: