Things you hate in a football broadcast.

I don't like announcers. I would really like it if DTV offered the option for enhanced stats graphics and ambient stadium noise. Rarely do any announcers have anything entertaining or enlightening to say. Or they try too hard to be funny and they just are not. jmho

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply HATE the expression "Untracked". As in "This offense has to get untracked in the third quarter if the [NFL team] has any hope of getting back into this thing."

Let's break this expression down. It is a misnomer of "On Track", relating to railway technology. Trains run on rails, and sometimes come off the rails (quite tragically in D.C. Hope you and yours are okay, DC Tom). When trains run off the rails, they don't move very fast for very long. Newton's First Law of Motion is inviolable, particularly when it comes to trains on rails. It's therefore a good thing when trains are "On Track".

To be "Untracked" is to be "Derailed". This is the more commonly and more appropriately used form of the expression. As in "Oh crap, I'm not on the tracks anymore. I'm 'un-tracked', but more correctly, I'm 'Derailed', and my hair is on fire, along with half of this city block. What ever should I do?" Ever been around a derailment? I have. If you ever see one of those schit storms, you'll never, never, never call it an "Untrackment". It's a "Derailment". And you'll probably run away as fast as your legs will take you.

Therefore, to say something like "This defense is really untracked in the second quarter. They've sacked [QB, preferably Brady] 3 times already" is so inane as to be goddamn stupid. It isn't "Untracked". "Untracked" is an idiot announcer's way of saying "On Track", meaning it's actually moving in the direction it's supposed to move.

And some mouthbreathing nosepicker does this every goddamn year. Bunch of inbred goobers. Jesus, now I'm all pissed off again.

I agree with you Bay. But I did some poking around. This doesn't make it right but anyways..

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/untracked

My pet peeve bastardization of expressions is the expression which is properly stated, "I couldn't care less" as in "I could not care less" which means that one cares so little that it would be impossible to care any less.

For some reason (mass ignorance?) the expression has become "I could care less" which actually would mean, " I care enough that I could easily care less."

Y'all with me on this one or could you not care less?

I agree with you Bay. But I did some poking around. This doesn't make it right but anyways..

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/untracked

My pet peeve bastardization of expressions is the expression which is properly stated, "I couldn't care less" as in "I could not care less" which means that one cares so little that it would be impossible to care any less.

For some reason (mass ignorance?) the expression has become "I could care less" which actually would mean, " I care enough that I could easily care less."

Y'all with me on this one or could you not care less?

You're right, SJBF. If you could not care less, you've "hit bottom", as it were. If you COULD care less, well, enjoy 9.86 m/sec squared. You've still got a ways to go. It's like Wile E. Coyote stepping off the cliff, you know?

'Poof'

Chris Collinsworth(less), Solomon Wilcotts, Randy Cross, Phil Simms, John Madden to name a few

I like Phil Simms. I like the fact that Simms isn't a TFAG (Typical Football Analyst Guy) he talks in specifics and doesn't just spit out a bunch of cliches that can be almost said about every game. Simms breaks things down into the way a coach approaches a QB or the weapons around them. He talks about what a team is going to do better form a pocket or spread out a defense.

I think Simms is one of the better commentators out there. He isn't the best but he is better than most of the former player commentators out there. I agree that the other guys you mentioned do suck although Madden use to be good like 10 years ago before he lost his mind.

No two people ever agree on which announcers are good. I like Simms when he does radio spots because he's much more candid and opinionated. During games he doesn't criticize anyone. Wilcotts is just bleh and Cross obviously sucks. I like Collinsworth because he speaks his mind but doesn't do it just for the sake of being controversial. Regardless of how much of a geek he looks like, he could still ball in his day but yet he wasn't a big enough star to have everything handed to him in his broadcasting career.

I think what I hate most is guys who don't understand clock situations. I mean when there's 2 minutes left and you have the ball on your opponent's 30, the offensive team isn't going to run out of time; so stop talking about the clock and start talking about the down&distance.

Also, don't say "that's going to draw a flag every time" when it only draws a flag half the time.

All of the commercials.

Commercials after the kickoff.

Showing crowd shots instead of the player reactions after a score. I don't mind crowd shots, but there is a time and place for everything.

Turning down or not broadcasting the crowd noise at a sufficient level -- especially Bills home games. I really think that it would add to the experience of watching a game on TV if they would broadcast the crowd noise the way you would hear it a a game.

The constant re-playing of the CBS theme music.

Arbitrary thing I liked about a telecast:

I think it was ESPN that played Led Zep when they went in out of a commercial break during a couple of games last year.

That reminds me of an arbitrary suggestion that I had about a year or so ago - the the Bills should play the Immigrant Song each time just before kickoff or player introductions. (I suggested this about a year ago or so. I did not have a chance to go to a game last year so I do not know if they do this now or not). The lyrics are great and the song would pump up the crowd.

A-ah-ahh-ah, ah-ah-ahh-ah

We come from the land of the ice and snow

from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow

The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands

To fight the horde and sing and cry, Valhalla, I am coming

On we sweep with, with threshing oar

Our only goal will be the western shore

Ah-ah-ahh-ah, ah-ah-ahh-ah

We come from the land of the ice and snow

from the midnight sun where the hot springs FLOW

How soft your fields, so green

can whisper tales of gore, of how we calmed the tides of war

We are your overlords

On we sweep with, with threshing oar

Our only goal will be the western shore

S-so now you better stop and rebuild all your ruins

for peace and trust can winthe day despite of all you're losin'

Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

Ahh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh

Anybody remember the Tedy Bruschi "stroke comeback" game against the Bills? I remember they actually showed a stat numerous times on the screen that showed the number of plays that Bruschi was "involved in." Seriously, he didn't even need to do anything in a play. He could make no physical contact, and they would add a tally to the stat because he was obviously in the way and caused the runner to go the opposite direction. That was probably the most annoying broadcast I've ever seen.

For those of you who remember the Tedy Bruschi praise, here's a link to a WGR550 audio clip making fun at all the unnecessary praise.

http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/17953440/c...tm?pageid=46386