Touring Buffalo- What to see and do?

DDD

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Frank Lloyd Wright house is a must see. Then check out the Albright Knox and the new Burchfield museum. After that, I'd stop in Coles.

I moved to Fla 14 years ago and get back every 3-4 years. Last year my wife & I went up to the observation deck of city hall. Great view all around. Frank Loyd Wrights boat house at the base of the Peace Bridge is a great stop.

Thanks for the posting of Bocces web site, the sight of Buffalo Wings and real pizza is almost enough to move back.

The Frank Lloyd Wright house is a must see. Then check out the Albright Knox and the new Burchfield museum. After that, I'd stop in Coles.

Good point. You definitely could hit Coles, cause the kids will be sound asleep after those tours!

Excellent suggestions - one can do the Historical Society, Burchfield Penny and Albright Knox Galleries, and Shakespeare in Delaware Park in 'one fell swoop' (apologies for the Macbeth reference). :worthy:

Depending on the weekend, maybe even catch some music/wine/beer at the BECHS 'Party on the Portico'...

link

My suggestion for the Darwin Martin house is 'do it Wright' -

Darwin Martin House

Be sure to take in the Darwin Martin summer home in Derby...

Graycliff

...as well as the other FLW structures in BuffTown - the Heath House on Soldiers Circle, and the Davidson House on TIllinghast (both built for Larkin Co. execs), and the FLW mausoleum at Forest Lawn and Boat House on the Black Rock Canal (new home of the West Side Rowing Club).

FLW in Buffalo

And for the 6 y.o., kids like cars - how 'bout a Bisons game combined with a visit, just a few blocks from Coca Cola Field, to the...

Pierce-Arrow Museum

If you're an architecture buff, Buffalo will not disappoint...

National Trust for Historic Preservation Names Buffalo, New York to its 2009 list of America’s Dozen Distinctive Destinations

link - slideshow

It's been 25 years since I've lived in Buffalo, and I'm going to visit with my wife and 6 year old who have never been. What are the must sees for 1st time visitors? Here's what I've come up with:

Niagara Falls -- must see

Delaware Park -- only for shakespeare in park (assuming that even happens anymore)

Albright Knox Art Gallery -- not bad

Elmwood Strip -- weak

Erie Basin Marina -- for lunch at the Hatch, thats about it

Art Park -- weak.stay away unless a great act is there.

Buffalo Zoo -- awful. stay away.

Frank Lloyd Wright home near Buffalo Zoo -- ok, maybe.

Chocalate and vanilla twist from Andersons, and a pizza from Bocci Club. Is Parkside Candies still around? please.

Botanical gardens- ? Don't remember if this is worthwhile. nothing like south park ave in the summertime. yikes.

Old Navy Ship Museum- ? called U.S. Sullivan. Never have seen. ..no big deal. kids might like it.

Niagara on the Lake- ?. Never have been to but heard it's nice. very nice for couples spending the night.

Erie Canal restoration site- ?. Heard this was restored recently but have never been. oh boy. erie canal history. who cares.

Go to La Nova, get some pizza and wings, then head to the airport.

Other comments or recommendations from TBD? Thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I just got back from a week in Buffalo, and I brought my kids. My son is 8 and my daughter is 4, here is what we did.

1st, my Dad lives in Holland NY now.

So, day one, we just hung on his property. Fished the east branch of the Casanovia, pulled out many small trouts and crayfish. The kids really loved it, though they got TAGGED by mosquitos. In fact, I think we squeezed in some fishing almost every day. Also picked a bunch of wild black berries, which I later made into a pie, TASTY!

Day two. Ride into East Aurora and hit the old timey five and dime, and bought the kids old school candy. Had cake for my Dad's 65th B-day, holy candles! Cooked out, salens, burgers, and smores!

Day three: Erie County Fair! Nearly hurled. Can't handle the rides like I used to.

Day four: Kid's night at the Ralph! Good time, great game, two foam fingers and of course the Trent Edwards growth charts. My sister bought my kids (walmart) two Trent Edwards jersies (AWESOME SISTER!) one was a blue throw back.

Day five: Williams Family Picnic at Chestnut Ridge! It's been 15 years for me, and this was the first for my kids. Egg toss, water balloon toss, horse shoe tourney, and fun games for the kids that involved money and candy. so they loved it! Of course good food and FAMILY.

Day six: Niagara Falls, maid of the mist, souveneir shop, and then to a BBQ at my buddy's house on Grand Island, chicken and Italian Sausage on the grill! Peppers and onions. The chicken marinade was tasty and I was told it was some type of local Buffalo brand, though it was new to me.....

Day seven: Took the subway to downtown. McKinnley monument and City Hall. My son and I took all 28 floors via the stairs! I was a sweaty mess! Subway back to Parkside Candy, milkshakes, sundays and sponge candy to go. Cool place, everyone should take their kids at least once. Very old timey indeed.

Last day: Shot the 22 rifle on my Dad's property with my son. This was his first rifle experience and he is a pretty good shot. Lastly grabbed a Beef on Weck at the airport.

To sum up it was a great trip! We were run ragged, but had a great time. Just wish I could have hit more food spots but we were just too busy. I would have loved to hit Ted's and Anderson's.

That's all, just wanted to share.

As always, GO BILLS!

Surprised nobody has yet suggested checking out a Bisons baseball game.

DML

You are right about a Bison game. Just went yesterday for a double-header. First time there and it's a great park, great seats, low prices, lots of kids there. But I have one question:

are there any good restaurants (wings, pizza mainly) within walking distance from the ball park?

we went to Pearl Street Grill on recommendation from a Bisons usher, but wings were sloppy and over-cooked. Pizza so-so.

don't know Buffalo very well, so would appreciate your advice.

If they're in town when you visit and the weather's good, this would be a good family-friendly evening activity after all your day tripping, and it won't break the bank. Here's a link to Bison's schedule:

http://buffalo.bisons.milb.com/schedule/index.jsp?sid=t422

Another destination not yet mentioned was the Buffalo Science Museum off of Humboldt Pkwy, in Buffalo. It doesn't have the prestige of the Albright Knox art gallery, but would probably be more appealing to the 6-year-old.

All my years living in and visiting Buffalo, I've never done the Niagara Falls Cave of the Winds or Maid of the Mist tourist attractions, but by all accounts, they're well worth it. Again, both are relatively inexpensive and both very family friendly.

Top the day off with with dinner on the Canadian side (in one of the observation towers!) and stay 'til dark for the illuminated falls and fireworks (see photo link below). Did this last year - great fireworks display! The falls is a must. Plan a whole day there if your schedule allows time for it. The evening fireworks experience is the cherry on top of the sundae. The Skylon and Panasonic towers can be a little pricey, but, after seeing the falls from the Maid of the Mist, you get to see 'em from the other angle up high. At night, the Clifton Hill Canadian side is packed. If you don' mind crowds and want that Mardi-Gras, festival atmosphere, go for it. There's plenty of things that would interest the 6-year-old.

Tower links:

http://www.infoniagara.com/attractions/minolta/

http://www.cliftonhill.com/niagara_falls_a...s/skylon_tower/

http://z.about.com/d/gocanada/1/0/t/2/-/-/...bassySuites.jpg

My perfect agenda for the family would include a tour of The Ralph (more for you than the others), Buffalo Zoo, Bisons, Niagara Falls attractions (also including Marineland). Depending on how much time you have, maybe even consider Darien Lake (Six Flags) if it's not too our of the way. Though if Buffalo and the Falls is the main goal, and you already have amusement parks back home, skip it.

If you're doing Canada and want to do the beach thing, you might want ot head up to Sherkston Beach and/or the quarry for beach and swimming.

If your kid is as simple-minded as I was at that age, make sure to go by Delaware Park and see the replica of the Statue of David. He's naked and you can see his wiener.

Sounds like a cool trip...

I came up for the HOF Game. Spent a couple days around Buffalo. Drove through some of the areas of the city I havent seen for a while, stopped at a few of my favorite Pizza and wing places, spent several days in the Olean/Braford area.

Had a great time going to the HOF game. Took my 79 year old step father who'd never been to an NFL game before, also spent the day with my 2 cousins. One of which I hadn't seen in over 20 years.

Being a Firefighter, I stopped in at one of Buffalo's busiest Firehouses (E31, L14) at Baiiley and Doat and traded a few T Shirts.

I also stopped at the Buffalo Fire Museum on Williams Street. Anyone who's intereted in Buffalo history or Firefighting I would strongly recommend stopping in the museum for a visit. :beer: Lots of cool stuff, and a great buch of guys.

Can't wait to get back up there.. Buffalo and WNY has some really cool things to do.

Day six: Niagara Falls, maid of the mist, souveneir shop, and then to a BBQ at my buddy's house on Grand Island, chicken and Italian Sausage on the grill! Peppers and onions. The chicken marinade was tasty and I was told it was some type of local Buffalo brand, though it was new to me.....

As always, GO BILLS!

The chicken marinade was probably Chiavetta's.

Has anyone heard how Mr. Wonderful's Bflo area visit went? He was the one who started this thread.

It's been 25 years since I've lived in Buffalo, and I'm going to visit with my wife and 6 year old who have never been. What are the must sees for 1st time visitors? Here's what I've come up with:

Niagara Falls

Delaware Park

Albright Knox Art Gallery

Elmwood Strip

Erie Basin Marina

Art Park

Buffalo Zoo

Frank Lloyd Wright home near Buffalo Zoo

Chocalate and vanilla twist from Andersons, and a pizza from Bocci Club. Is Parkside Candies still around?

Botanical gardens- ? Don't remember if this is worthwhile.

Old Navy Ship Museum- ? called U.S. Sullivan. Never have seen.

Niagara on the Lake- ?. Never have been to but heard it's nice

Erie Canal restoration site- ?. Heard this was restored recently but have never been

Other comments or recommendations from TBD? Thanks everyone.

What a weak list compared to so many other cities.

that is depressing

Dagwood's is very good, but I thought the one by Canisius closed. I am going to throw in a little Deli in Amherst that has fantastic subs. It's called Maybeck's Deli and is located on Niagara Falls Blvd across from the Target Plaza. Their subs are great and they also have homemade soups, it's a great lunch spot! For pizza, the Amherst Ale House (N French & Millersport) makes a really good pie. And they have a half price pizza and half price pitchers of beer special during Sabres games, until the Sabres win the Cup. Which should last a really really long time....

Actually, I go there for wings consistently. I think they are the best in Buffalo. I'd take them over Duffs or Anchorbar any day. Great wings.

Lebros on Cambell in Pendletoon has a fantastic fish fry. And Grovers...which used to be grover Clevelands hunting cabin at one time I believe...on transit in east amherst has a great fish fry as well.

Actually, that's in Amherst/Getzville area.

Devils Hole be it, and where a lot of preaching from my old man took place. He still took us there all the time to hike the trails, fish, and swim in the right places, but also put a real fear into us bout what could happen if you fugged up and went in the wrong places etc. Like I said, next time up in the warm months, think I am going to do, just gunna bring an extra pair of draws with me just in case :thumbdown:

Which places are the safest and best?

The chicken marinade was probably Chiavetta's.

Has anyone heard how Mr. Wonderful's Bflo area visit went? He was the one who started this thread.

That was it!!!!!

Thanks for that, it was TASTY! I will have to look for it on Buffalofoods.com, or better yet just have my Dad send me some. VERY GOOD.

Sounds like a cool trip...

I came up for the HOF Game. Spent a couple days around Buffalo. Drove through some of the areas of the city I havent seen for a while, stopped at a few of my favorite Pizza and wing places, spent several days in the Olean/Braford area.

Had a great time going to the HOF game. Took my 79 year old step father who'd never been to an NFL game before, also spent the day with my 2 cousins. One of which I hadn't seen in over 20 years.

Being a Firefighter, I stopped in at one of Buffalo's busiest Firehouses (E31, L14) at Baiiley and Doat and traded a few T Shirts.

I also stopped at the Buffalo Fire Museum on Williams Street. Anyone who's intereted in Buffalo history or Firefighting I would strongly recommend stopping in the museum for a visit. :P Lots of cool stuff, and a great buch of guys.

Can't wait to get back up there.. Buffalo and WNY has some really cool things to do.

Thanks, it was great, and thanks to stuck in cinci for the thumbs up! Glad you had a good time too. I think the night I was at the fair there was a big to do with the firemen and some sort of parade. My sister's squeeze is a volunteer.

Fish Fry - How about Buffalo Brew Pub

Pizza - Bozanna's - No place in the world like it (however not really Buffalo style pizza a la LaNova and Bocce)

Best Sponge Candy - Antoinette Sweets

Best Chicken Finger Sub - John and Mary's or Alton's

Best S**t Canoe - Zorba's (note this is only good half to fully drunk at 3-4 am)

Best 4 am dining - Jim's Steakout (again only good half to fully drunk)

Best Grocery Store - Wegmann's (After living outside of Buffalo for 12 years in various parts of the country, nothing can compare. Tops, a distant 2nd in Buffalo, blows away 95% of all grocery stores in the US)

Best Breakfast after a night of drinking - Pano's (However I am impartial to the country fried steak at Hillview Family restaurant)

Slightly off topic...but does anyone know a website where I can get Buffalo food shipped to Florida? I know Redlinski's offers a shipping service but there has gotta be more options. Anyone?