US Open

KD in CA

I've never been a fan of when players call a course unfair as they all play the same course, but Shinnecock did border on ridiculous. It's not likely to happen anymore as Mike Davis (he's the USGA guy setting up to courses now) has a different philosophy that's really worked the last couple of years.

In my mind, the US Open winner should be at -1. It should take great shots to get birdies and you should be punished severly for bad ones.

Great shots should get you birdies, and being in the rough, or erratic shots, should make it tough to make par on the hole. What i want the most is for the course to be playing where someone can toss a final round -3 and make a run at the leaders. There shouldn't be players shooting 4 rounds in the red, but if you are at or near par, you should be in contention on a sunday. I'll take a 3 round leader at -3 any day of the week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my mind, the US Open winner should be at -1. It should take great shots to get birdies and you should be punished severly for bad ones.

Exactly, although it doesn't appear to be happening that way this year. The guys that played late 1st round/early 2d round really caught a break with the weather. As others have said, all the rain has made the green much softer than you'd ever seen in a US Open, hence the group at -7. Certainly, some of those guys will fall apart on the weekend, but guys like Tiger and Phil still have a long way to go. Tiger's probably sunk considering it'll be pouring rain for his back nine today.

Duval is a nice story so far.

And and btw....how f'ing absurd it is that this is not anywhere on TV this morning? Let me guess, NBC has broadcast rights, but doesn't want to cover it and doesn't want to let ESPN or Golf Channel do it.

"Get in the hole!" guy needs to be ejected form the course. It gets really old hearing that repeatedly on every shot all weekend long. Anyways, work has been unproductive thus far with the final round today.

Looks like Barnes and glover are struggling early. C'mon phil! I think that -4 or even -3 could still easily win today.

"Get in the hole!" guy needs to be ejected form the course. It gets really old hearing that repeatedly on every shot all weekend long. Anyways, work has been unproductive thus far with the final round today.

Looks like Barnes and glover are struggling early. C'mon phil! I think that -4 or even -3 could still easily win today.

Barnes is collapsing. Looks like he got a big whiff of "Holy crap, I could win the US Open!"

Tiger's only 4 back?? He is gonna kick himself for all those 10 footers he missed all weekend.

Update....PHIL!!!!!

Barnes is collapsing. Looks like he got a big whiff of "Holy crap, I could win the US Open!"

Tiger's only 4 back?? He is gonna kick himself for all those 10 footers he missed all weekend.

Update....PHIL!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4 or 5 man playoff later this afternoon to decide this thing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4 or 5 man playoff later this afternoon to decide this thing.

After all the craziness in this tourney, I'll be disappointed if there is not a playoff.

3 way tie right now...Duval in the mix.

After all the craziness in this tourney, I'll be disappointed if there is not a playoff.

3 way tie right now...Duval in the mix.

Dammit. Seems like the demons finally got to Phil. Bogeys on 15-17 and now he's 2 back. The plus side is that he's in good shape on 18, so maybe he can knock in a bird and hope he ties everyone at -3. I really thought today was gonna be his day after some of the miraculous saves and the eagle on 13.

Dammit. Seems like the demons finally got to Phil. Bogeys on 15-17 and now he's 2 back. The plus side is that he's in good shape on 18, so maybe he can knock in a bird and hope he ties everyone at -3. I really thought today was gonna be his day after some of the miraculous saves and the eagle on 13.

And that's what has always separated Phil from being an all time great. The guy just can't be counted on to convert a 4 foot par putt on the back 9 in a big spot. How many times have you seen him blow those putts in a major?

Love that BB got it's revenge today.

And that's what has always separated Phil from being an all time great. The guy just can't be counted on to convert a 4 foot par putt on the back 9 in a big spot. How many times have you seen him blow those putts in a major?

Love that BB got it's revenge today.

Whats gonna piss me off the most is that Glover will probably win by shooting a 73/74 on sunday. Shooting that high should mandate a playoff. :thumbsup:

Whats gonna piss me off the most is that Glover will probably win by shooting a 73/74 on sunday. Shooting that high should mandate a playoff. :thumbsup:

It's been a day of attrition for sure; guess he had the smallest implosion of anyone.

Nice to see him not go "Phil" on the 18th tee; of course, he still missed the fairway with a 6 iron!

It's been a day of attrition for sure; guess he had the smallest implosion of anyone.

Nice to see him not go "Phil" on the 18th tee; of course, he still missed the fairway with a 6 iron!

Phil actually played well off the tee. A couple of missed putts here and there are what cost him. Actually the missed 4 footer at 15 is what did him in. If he makes that par, its a different ballgame. 17 was tough, i'll give him that one.

Damn, Glover....at least pretend like you are excited....nice tourney for him...awesome to see Duval back in the mix....hopefully he is back

Seriously, wtf Glover? Does that guy have emotions? Upon winning, he acted like he had just finished off a decent back 9 in the second round of the Mayakoba Classic or something.

Meanwhile, his wife is standing on the sidelines, politely smiling and clapping. GET A PULSE PEOPLE, ITS THE FRACKIN US OPEN!

Gotta feel for Mahan.

Hits two tremendous approaches on 16 & 17 that both take atrocious bounces and cost him multiple strokes. He was about a combined 6" from potentially forcing a playoff. :thumbsup:

How in the hell would you know if he's a d*ck or not? What has he ever done even remotely distasteful? Give me a couple examples, or you're just being a hater for the sake of being a hater.

He once peed on my hand when I was trying to get an autograph.