10 year anniversary in Buffalo sports history

The most upsetting part is how close we were back then (and just a couple years ago), compared to how far away we are right now. Unlike the Bills, our Sabres have not been a particularly bad franchise over the past decade...but they have pissed away their opportunities like champs (or had them stolen by f*cking refs). No matter the circumstances, we had 3 legit chances at winning Stanley Cups and couldn't convert any of them.

We had the Cup the year we lost to Carolina in the Conf. Finals. We lost 6 defensemen by the time the series reached game 7. We had guys who had come right from Rochester on the blue lines. And we still were up by a goal in the 3rd. McKee got a staph infection that day. What are the odds? In Buffalo...stacked against is what they are. Then Carolina goes on to a relatively easy Cup final. We had the Cup that year. We are so snake bitten. My weekend is now ruined.

We had the Cup the year we lost to Carolina in the Conf. Finals. We lost 6 defensemen by the time the series reached game 7. We had guys who had come right from Rochester on the blue lines. And we still were up by a goal in the 3rd. McKee got a staph infection that day. What are the odds? In Buffalo...stacked against is what they are. Then Carolina goes on to a relatively easy Cup final. We had the Cup that year. We are so snake bitten. My weekend is now ruined.

A lot of callers to talk radio (that night and the next day) were consoling themselves by saying it was a great season and the Sabres were bound to take the next step the following year. There are no such guarantees in sports. I said it then, a one goal lead heading into the third period of the ECF game 7 may be the closest the Sabres will get to a Stanley Cup victory.

Crazy as it is, I think we were closer that year than the years we actually went to the Cup. I was too young to remember the Sabres-Flyers cup, so you will have to forgive me if I am wrong.

We were riding the lightning that year. It is awful to think back.