Best all time drummer poll-kind of.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to mention Stewart Copeland.

thank you.

the first time i saw The Police was in the summer of 1981, at what was billed as "The Police Picnic" in some farm field outside of Oakville, Ont., which featured a remarkable list of bands. from Iggy Pop to Oingo Boingo, Killing Joke, The Specials, the Go Go's (don't laugh, they were fun) and The Police touring their second or third album. hey, it was a while ago.

when The Police finally got on stage, i was maybe 8 deep in the center of it all, and i couldn't take my eyes off Copeland and the way he sat over his drumkit and absolutely dominated the thing, banging away like a madman. as strange as it might sound, i find myself at my best when i'm sitting over my keyboard in much the same way, banging at this keyboard as if it were some snare, with me keeping upbeat time.

i won't lay claim that Copeland was THE best. i think Mr. Moon and Charlie Watts rank in a tie for different and similar reasons. both, like Copeland for that matter, best complemented their respective bands by being musicians rather than guys who simply kept time. Watts was understated and could play a wide arrangement of genres, and particularly their bluesy-country sides (funny, i've got "Country Honk" playing in my head phones as i bang this out).

but Moon was an animal, and the pun just might be intended because i think the crazy drumming Henson creation, "animal," just might have been based on Keith Moon, minus the syringes of course.

i'd rank Mick Fleetwood up there along with Bun E Carlos of Cheap Trick.

and here's a bit of a black sheep that might have been overlooked: Bruce Gary of The Knack. laugh if you will, but if you listen to the drumming on their first and second albums provided by Mr. Gary, well, it stands out as being remarkable ... almost Moon-like.

jw

ADD: female drummers overlooked include: Torry Castellano of The Donnas, Samantha Maloney of Hole and Demetra Plakas of L7.

Oh man, what a topic very close to this drummer's heart. I've been playing for about 13 years.

My favorites are of the grunge era:

Matt Cameron

Jimmy Chamberlin

Dave Grohl

Josh Freese (one of the THE most in demand studio musicians, period. You name a lame radio rock band, he's done that record. Probly been on over 500 professional recordings, I've read in modern drummer his rates start at $5,000/hour. yeah)

Both Jimmy and Matt have a jazz background, and demonstrate a tremendous touch and sensitivity to the instrument. The fact that they both played in heavy, progressive, and precise rock bands speak very highly of their versatility. Also, two of the only rock drummers to strictly play single pedal, and use the hi-hat chick when not riding on it as a time keeping device. I love that. You HAVE to keep that chick going when you're riding cymbals/toms, I need that drive. So few young rock drummers just leave their left foot unless they're worrying about double-bass rolls, which unless you're playing metal all the time, you don't play nearly as often as you do the hi-hat. Jimmy Chamberlin's single stroke rolls are the fastest I've seen next to Mike Mangini.

For jazz, there are soo many greats.

Buddy Rich, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Jimmy Cobb the list is pretty much endless.

I could talk drummers for days on end. For me, jazz is best on drugs. Sorry, I said it. Miles/Coltrane's best work is when they were strung out on heroin. Its true. Anything from the 60's or before is better when they weren't clean. Jazz before desegregation had this visceral, emotional purity. You can feel the anguish in the notes, thats what jazz is.

Did I mention I could talk for ever about drumming?

OH yeah, just FYI, Keith Moon is probably one of the most overrated drummers in history. He's known more for his antics and reputation than his playing. Could he play? Sure. Did he fit the Who? Absolutely. But he's not in my conversation for best all time, just my opinion. Much too sloppy and drugged out. If you're gonna be high and play, fine, but play flawlessly. Its not that much to ask when you're in one of the biggest bands of all time.

I'll go with Buddy Rich, because I actually saw him live in 1984, not too long before he died.

As with many on this board, I'll also say Neil Peart (best in the rock category), but I'm surprised only Dean has mentioned Gene Krupa.

To Exiled: Belinda Carlisle played drums? I never noticed. <_<:devil:

I'll go with Buddy Rich, because I actually saw him live in 1984, not too long before he died.

As with many on this board, I'll also say Neil Peart (best in the rock category), but I'm surprised only Dean has mentioned Gene Krupa.

To Exiled: Belinda Carlisle played drums? I never noticed. <_<:devil:

Buddy Rich vs. Gene Krupa was a big thing, way back.

There is little question, to me, that Buddy had more chops than Gene. But I also think Gene had a better groove, and sounded better with most bands...he was a very musical drummer.

Both were giants of the drum world, to be sure, and left lasting legacies.

Who is travis barker.

Not the best all-time drummer...

I have not heard one convincing argument yet against Bonham...

Lots of Greats...Peart, Ulrich, Rich, Jordinson, Starkey/Star, Copeland, Moon, Ulrich, Lee, etc....

Not the best all-time drummer...

I have not heard one convincing argument yet against Bonham...

Lots of Greats...Peart, Ulrich, Rich, Jordinson, Starkey/Star, Copeland, Moon, Ulrich, Lee, etc....

Why would anyone argue against someone, unless they really sucked?

I wouldn't call him the best drummer EVER, as I have really only seen him perform with Led Zeppelin, and as eclectic as they were (especially early in their career) that's just too narrow in experience for me to give him the nod.

I like his groove, that's for sure, but I'd have to hear him play with other musicians, and in different styles, to call him the best. I'd say the same thing about Pert and Moon. Great drummers, to be sure. The best? Dunno about that.

Why would anyone argue against someone, unless they really sucked?

I wouldn't call him the best drummer EVER, as I have really only seen him perform with Led Zeppelin, and as eclectic as they were (especially early in their career) that's just too narrow in experience for me to give him the nod.

I like his groove, that's for sure, but I'd have to hear him play with other musicians, and in different styles, to call him the best. I'd say the same thing about Pert and Moon. Great drummers, to be sure. The best? Dunno about that.

You really are the music snob on here :rolleyes:

I do tend to agree that it is hard to say someone is the best ever...in regards to whatever...especially in this instance where there are lots of capable/great drummers...cases can be made for each and in the end - I think it boils down to personal preference

One thing I was hoping to get out of my statement that I haven't heard one compelling argument against him, was that instead of simply saying Moon is great and yadda yadda yadda...was to evoke more of a why do you feel Moon is the best? what makes him better than Copeland or Bonzo etc...in your opinion

I am curious as to why someone feels so and so is better...For my own knowledge and respect (Disclaimer: at times) for peoples opinions

As someone who does play a musical instrument (Guitar - am not the worlds best, but not terrible either) and has a wide variety of musical tastes and is somewhat of a music snob himself; Bonzo, from my knowledge base, trancends the drums in some regards. I say this because one recurring answer that I read in guitar magazines and this only really applies to modern era musicians (after Led Zep) a lot do reach back to Bonzo as an early inspiration...guitar players talk about his thunderous drums and overall ability to drive the music...In the rock community he is consistently talked about as an musical inspiration...from my best recollection, some of the people who have said this are included in this thread and others can be called respected muscians...not to mention he hit the skins heavy and hard and was a huge part of the overall Zep sound...

Buddy Rich vs. Gene Krupa was a big thing, way back.

There is little question, to me, that Buddy had more chops than Gene. But I also think Gene had a better groove, and sounded better with most bands...he was a very musical drummer.

Both were giants of the drum world, to be sure, and left lasting legacies.

check another guy from that era... Louie Bellson.

You really are the music snob on here :nana:

I do tend to agree that it is hard to say someone is the best ever...in regards to whatever...especially in this instance where there are lots of capable/great drummers...cases can be made for each and in the end - I think it boils down to personal preference

One thing I was hoping to get out of my statement that I haven't heard one compelling argument against him, was that instead of simply saying Moon is great and yadda yadda yadda...was to evoke more of a why do you feel Moon is the best? what makes him better than Copeland or Bonzo etc...in your opinion

I am curious as to why someone feels so and so is better...For my own knowledge and respect (Disclaimer: at times) for peoples opinions

As someone who does play a musical instrument (Guitar - am not the worlds best, but not terrible either) and has a wide variety of musical tastes and is somewhat of a music snob himself; Bonzo, from my knowledge base, trancends the drums in some regards. I say this because one recurring answer that I read in guitar magazines and this only really applies to modern era musicians (after Led Zep) a lot do reach back to Bonzo as an early inspiration...guitar players talk about his thunderous drums and overall ability to drive the music...In the rock community he is consistently talked about as an musical inspiration...from my best recollection, some of the people who have said this are included in this thread and others can be called respected muscians...not to mention he hit the skins heavy and hard and was a huge part of the overall Zep sound...

No doubt Bonham was a monster and very influential...in rock circles. But could he play a mean shuffle? (I'm betting he could, but you'd be surprised how many drummers can't.) Fit in with a swing band? Ride the cymbals to some mellow jazz, play the brushes? Did he read music, and be able to sight-read if he had to sit in with an unfamiliar group?

The answer to all of these might be "yes", but I have no idea if it is or isn't.

No doubt Bonham was a monster and very influential...in rock circles. But could he play a mean shuffle? (I'm betting he could, but you'd be surprised how many drummers can't.) Fit in with a swing band? Ride the cymbals to some mellow jazz, play the brushes? Did he read music, and be able to sight-read if he had to sit in with an unfamiliar group?

The answer to all of these might be "yes", but I have no idea if it is or isn't.

Those are very good questions....I am not sure either...I dunno if he could play with a swing band or read music? :nana:

What drummers do feel can do all that plus play rock? I freely admit rock is more my cup of tea...

Great post.

Gets me thinking about this:

I shoulda learned to play the guitar

I shoulda learned to play them drums

Look at that mama, she got it stickin' in the camera

Man we could have some fun

And he's up there, what's that? Hawaiian noises?

Bangin' on the bongoes like a chimpanzee

That ain't workin' that's the way you do it

Get your money for nothin' get your chicks for free

:nana: