Stallworth Suspended Indefinitely!

His NFL Sentence  

51 members have voted

1. 1. His sentence by the NFL...

• Excessive and wrong.
    • Right on!
    • I'm not sure.
  2. 2. Should Goodell be able to hand out penalties for player off field conduct?

• Yes
    • No

Part of a long statement;

"The conduct reflected in your guilty plea resulted in the tragic loss of life and was inexcusable," Goodell wrote. "While the criminal justice system has determined the legal consequences of this incident, it is my responsibility as NFL commissioner to determine appropriate league discipline for your actions, which have caused irreparable harm to the victim and his family, your club, your fellow players and the NFL."

Good for him! :rolleyes:

Ole' Mort estimates the suspension could be for the 2 years of his house arrest. Very significant, and I have a different perspective now on the Lynch ruling -especially after his hit & run episode..

Re: your poll, yes, I think policing policies and doling out discipline are the most important jobs of a Commish for the games' integrity.

Ole' Mort estimates the suspension could be for the 2 years of his house arrest. Very significant, and I have a different perspective now on the Lynch ruling -especially after his hit & run episode..

Re: your poll, yes, I think policing policies and doling out discipline are the most important jobs of a Commish for the games' integrity.

The question now is how are regular DUI cases going to be handled and yes it does make Marshawn's penalty for hit and run a little more interesting. I guess nobody could prove he was inebriated and it was raining really hard and there were questions on whether he saw her or not. His behavior after he learned about it was abysmal.

ETA:

From the article;

In that letter, Goodell stated: "In the past few years, I have not hesitated to impose discipline, including suspension, on club and league employees who have violated the law relating to alcohol use. Every club should advise its employees of their obligation and our commitment to hold people accountable for alcohol-related violations of the law.

"Please ensure that your employees are aware of the resources available to them, including Safe Ride and similar programs. Let's make sure that the 2009 season does not bring more tragedy or embarrassment to ourselves and our employees."

Part of a long statement;

"The conduct reflected in your guilty plea resulted in the tragic loss of life and was inexcusable," Goodell wrote. "While the criminal justice system has determined the legal consequences of this incident, it is my responsibility as NFL commissioner to determine appropriate league discipline for your actions, which have caused irreparable harm to the victim and his family, your club, your fellow players and the NFL."

Good for him! :rolleyes:

No...this is not "right on"

The truth is, Stallworth is no worse than anyone else who has got behind the wheel while they were drunk. Goodell is suspending him for the outcome(which is extremely tragic), not Stallworths actions.

If this is what Goodell really wants to do, then he needs to suspend every player who gets a DUI indefinately. BC every person who drinks and drives runs a greater risk of killing a pedestrian.

Remember-this punishment is a PR move. It is extreme not because of Stallworths ACTIONS, it is extreme becasue of the outcome. That is wrong.

The truth is, Stallworth is no worse than anyone else who has got behind the wheel while they were drunk. Goodell is suspending him for the outcome(which is extremely tragic), not Stallworths actions.

If this is what Goodell really wants to do, then he needs to suspend every player who gets a DUI indefinately. BC every person who drinks and drives runs a greater risk of killing a pedestrian.

Remember-this punishment is a PR move. It is extreme not because of Stallworths ACTIONS, it is extreme becasue of the outcome. That is wrong.

Tell me what would happen if you drove home drunk one night and killed someone. Forget about suspensions, do you think you could even keep your job after that? It shows a lack of responsibility that most (if not all) employers would not tolerate. I'm sure my bosses would have me on the street faster than you can say DUI.

On Stallworth's part, it shows even less responsibility. He's a public figure, so is Leonard Little and so is Michael Vick. These guys have a special responsibility to act mature & professional, and be role models for the community. This isn't to say that they should be the ultimate role model (parents should be), but they're in the spotlight.

It's because of this that I agree Goodell should punish players for off-the-field conduct.

You don't think it is worse to kill someone than not to?

I think it's a little questionable. Stallworth is paying a high price in the criminal and civil justice system. I don't know what his status was in the drug/alcohol program of the NFL - but I think that would be highly relevant to the degree of punishment the league should be doling out. 2 years would seem high compared to the much more intent driven crimes that others routinely get wrist slapped for.

Tell me what would happen if you drove home drunk one night and killed someone. Forget about suspensions, do you think you could even keep your job after that? It shows a lack of responsibility that most (if not all) employers would not tolerate. I'm sure my bosses would have me on the street faster than you can say DUI.

On Stallworth's part, it shows even less responsibility. He's a public figure, so is Leonard Little and so is Michael Vick. These guys have a special responsibility to act mature & professional, and be role models for the community. This isn't to say that they should be the ultimate role model (parents should be), but they're in the spotlight.

It's because of this that I agree Goodell should punish players for off-the-field conduct.

For one thing he'd probably be in jail a minimum of 5 years. Try keeping a job that way. :rolleyes:

Stop comparing "Average Joe" to NFL players. Stallworth does play in the NFL & takes millions from it's owners. The NFL has the right to kick him out of the league, suspend him or whatever else they want to do with him. Donte can work at Tops the rest of his life. The NFL is a privilege, not a right.

No, you don't suspend everyone else that gets a DUI. You suspend the fool who gets the DUI and kills another human.

I think it's a little questionable. Stallworth is paying a high price in the criminal and civil justice system. I don't know what his status was in the drug/alcohol program of the NFL - but I think that would be highly relevant to the degree of punishment the league should be doling out. 2 years would seem high compared to the much more intent driven crimes that others routinely get wrist slapped for.

30 days in jail for causing someones death is a high price??

30 days in jail for causing someones death is a high price??

take it up with the Florida legislature. He'll be out millions in civil damages, plus a destroyed reputation. Also I certainly think the league should suspend him, I'm just not sure he should be the poster-child for bad actors off the field, even if he was the cause of someone's death - it was, ultimately, an accident, albeit an accident that was his fault.

take it up with the Florida legislature. He'll be out millions in civil damages, plus a destroyed reputation. Also I certainly think the league should suspend him, I'm just not sure he should be the poster-child for bad actors off the field, even if he was the cause of someone's death - it was, ultimately, an accident, albeit an accident that was his fault.

Money and reputation can be restored. The biggest price someone can pay is losing their freedom.

Stop comparing "Average Joe" to NFL players. Stallworth does play in the NFL & takes millions from it's owners. The NFL has the right to kick him out of the league, suspend him or whatever else they want to do with him. Donte can work at Tops the rest of his life. The NFL is a privilege, not a right.

No, you don't suspend everyone else that gets a DUI. You suspend the fool who gets the DUI and kills another human.

You make valid points. Especially, and I will never understand this, since thes players clearly can afford a taxi or a limo or even a full time driver. Why chance it and risk your life and that of others? In this case, others, sadly.

Vick got a year for abusing dogs? This guy killed a human. I kind of put a higher value on humans so I suspect the suspension will be in the eighteen month to two year range.

Vick is still under suspension.

You guys are ignoring oddoublee's point, which is centered around the outcome of the incident. Most people on this board have probably driven under the influence like Stallworth. The only difference is that you didn't accidentally kill someone. Let me ask you a question. How does anyone know the alcohol had anything to do with the killing? We always assume that if someone gets in an accident while drinking, that the alcohol is definitely the reason. It may still have happened even if he was not drinking. Remember the guy was jay walking & stepped out in front of the car. It's tragic & I think Stallworth got off easy in the justice system but as far as being suspended by the NFL for conduct relating to the outcome is wrong. The conduct that was wrong was the dui not the mistake that occurred. Technically Goodel should only be focusing on the DUI but it's about PR.

I personally feel he should be spending more time in jail. But the NFL conduct policy & United States of Advertising penalty system are two seperate things. If an NFL player accidentally killed a pedestrian & was not drinking, according to your guys logic, he should suspended indefinitely? You see? That's where the disparity lies.

i think Goodell sent the message loud and clear. Stallworth broke the law and killed somebody. the NFL is a high-profiled organization which has endured many black eyes through various player conducts. Goodell can't clean it up overnight but the strict penalties that he has been enforcing should make the players think twice now. they are not above any law. deflating a few egos is what's needed. it's nice to see somebody finally drop the hammer.