I Hate Preseason Football

I hate the preseason games. I hate how starters are treated with kid gloves like they have mastered something and then play like crap at the start of the season. I hate the excuses that we hear about how when they "game plan" they will perform better. I hate how much time and energy is devoted to determining the last 5 roster spots and how the NFL charges inseason prices to attend. I could go on but...............

Not this year. There is too much at stake, lots of roster/position battles, and a chance to see if there is anything special about this year's draft. This could be the talent infusion that makes the difference.

Is Maybin's quickness off the ball a game changer? A rare physical gift that can draw penalties and create turnovers?

If they are as advertised, can the lighter, fitter, smarter, nastier offensive line grow into one that can let the skill players thrive? Everytime I heard some network B team commentator talk about the Bills' big and powerful o-line I cringed. Fat, dumb, and slow off the ball does nothing to get you a yard when you really have to have it.

The secondary should start to shine. These guys ought to be one of the better units in the league. There is depth here and the training camp battle should settle the pecking order so the preseason play will be all the more meaningful. The emergence of a wlb from the crowd of candidates would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the offensive skill positions are set and the playcalling will be vanilla so there won't be so much to see. But finding a backup QB that inspires some reason to believe that they have a chance to keep a playoff chance alive should Trent get hurt would be a relief. A playoff spot is likely to ride on it. I would also like to see a FB emerge that demands to be on the field more. A good fullback injects attitude into an offense right at the point of attack. I don't have too much optimism in that regard. I wonder what Sam Gash is doing.

For the most part, watching the Bills the last two seasons left me in a surly, frustrated mood. UB football has been entertaining and uplifting by contrast. Sort of like anti venom for a snakebite victim. Going to Bills games often turned into guilty feelings about a wasted sunday watching poorly managed game situations and uninspired play. If this is going to change the evidence should be there in these August games. Call me a Kool Aid drinker if yoy like, but I am actually eager to watch them this year.

I hate the preseason games. I hate how starters are treated with kid gloves like they have mastered something and then play like crap at the start of the season. I hate the excuses that we hear about how when they "game plan" they will perform better. I hate how much time and energy is devoted to determining the last 5 roster spots and how the NFL charges inseason prices to attend. I could go on but...............

Call me a Kool Aid drinker if yoy like, but I am actually eager to watch them this year.

:wallbash:

Preseason is important for the practice during the week -only. The 'games' mostly feature non-starters trying to make an impression and stick with the club. Playing starters in an all-out way during pre-season leads to one thing -injuries, which will de-rail the season. This year we have 60 more minutes of this fear than usual. Game one @ NE* is when the no-huddle and new look D get showcased.

This is a huge year for preseason for the Bills:

1. Levitre and Wood need to get into pro form.

2. Nelson could use the pro level experience to be a 1st year impact

3. Maybin could use the reps to be an impact

Most importantly, the Chroise will come out and dazzle us with levels of play unmatched by even hall of famers.

This is a huge year for preseason for the Bills:

1. Levitre and Wood need to get into pro form.

2. Nelson could use the pro level experience to be a 1st year impact

3. Maybin could use the reps to be an impact

Most importantly, the Chroise will come out and dazzle us with levels of play unmatched by even hall of famers.

Not to mention dazzling us with his rugged, charming, manly good looks.

Not this year. There is too much at stake, lots of roster/position battles, and a chance to see if there is anything special about this year's draft. This could be the talent infusion that makes the difference.

Is Maybin's quickness off the ball a game changer? A rare physical gift that can draw penalties and create turnovers?

If they are as advertised, can the lighter, fitter, smarter, nastier offensive line grow into one that can let the skill players thrive? Everytime I heard some network B team commentator talk about the Bills' big and powerful o-line I cringed. Fat, dumb, and slow off the ball does nothing to get you a yard when you really have to have it.

The secondary should start to shine. These guys ought to be one of the better units in the league. There is depth here and the training camp battle should settle the pecking order so the preseason play will be all the more meaningful. The emergence of a wlb from the crowd of candidates would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the offensive skill positions are set and the playcalling will be vanilla so there won't be so much to see. But finding a backup QB that inspires some reason to believe that they have a chance to keep a playoff chance alive should Trent get hurt would be a relief. A playoff spot is likely to ride on it. I would also like to see a FB emerge that demands to be on the field more. A good fullback injects attitude into an offense right at the point of attack. I don't have too much optimism in that regard. I wonder what Sam Gash is doing.

For the most part, watching the Bills the last two seasons left me in a surly, frustrated mood. UB football has been entertaining and uplifting by contrast. Sort of like anti venom for a snakebite victim. Going to Bills games often turned into guilty feelings about a wasted sunday watching poorly managed game situations and uninspired play. If this is going to change the evidence should be there in these August games. Call me a Kool Aid drinker if yoy like, but I am actually eager to watch them this year.

You've raised good points about why this year's preseason is important.

On the other hand, I've always liked the preseason. It's a chance to give playing time to guys who normally wouldn't get it. Sometimes, you end up discovering a player you might have overlooked. Fred Jackson performed very well in the preseason before becoming a key contributor during the regular season. Trent Edwards is another guy who performed quite well during the preseason, before unseating Losman as the starter. Steve Johnson has done well in the preseason, and will (hopefully) turn that into a solid performance in the regular season.

I think the preseason gets a bad rap because they charge too much for tickets, and because they sometimes attempt to ram preseason tickets down people's throats. If tickets were more appropriately priced, people could accept the preseason for what it is: a glorified practice session or scrimmage opportunity; geared towards showcasing backup players.

Unlike most people i don't hate the preseason. Don't get me wrong I don't like it but i see the purpose for it. I hate when former players say Well I only needed two games to get ready. I think that four games is the right amount. It gives coaches the right amount of time to get special teams and backups in order. Two games isn't enough time to get a team and practice squad in order.

I am also opposed to adding 2 more games to the schedule. The players carers are short enough and the season has enough injuries as is. 16 games is plenty and works well enough. The Superbowl being played near Valentines day just doesn't sit right to me. The season starting before labor day also isn't something I would like to see either.

Also an 18 game schedule would further shorten the carers of players. two more games a year would shorten the playing carers by at least 1-2 years due to the fact that in 8 season it would add another 16 games to the wear and tear of a player. Basically the playing time of a player is already so short that I don't want to see it get any shorter.

I hate the term "kid gloves." But yeah, the preseason blows D.

I vehemently disagree!! I would rather watch a Bills preseason game than watch the Grey Cup, and I'm a Canadian. I can't stand Canadian football! It blows more than just D, it blows O and ST's. :wallbash: