Ralph Wilson picks Chris Berman

I thought it would be a member of the press but was thinking Buffalo press like Larry Felser or the representative who has been pushing his nomination all of these years.

Felser used to rip Ralph pretty hard...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Press" has not always been kind to Ralph

I'm not so sure Ralph's "way" has been kind to Bills' fans. It's his team, and he can do what he wants with it. But in recent years, it's been one thing after another. I wasn't around in the sixties, but making the playoffs 13 times in 39 NFL seasons is not good enough.

I'm not so sure Ralph's "way" has been kind to Bills' fans. It's his team, and he can do what he wants with it. But in recent years, it's been one thing after another. I wasn't around in the sixties, but making the playoffs 13 times in 39 NFL seasons is not good enough.

It's hard to win in the NFL. (Harder still with a bag on your head. :lol: )

Same thing here. IMO, it would have been Russert.

Timmy would have done a fine job. But so will Boomer, I'm looking forward to it.

I miss Tim. Hard to believe in just about a week, it'll have been one year. But Berman is also a good choice.

So your idea of not starting a controversy is bringing up a very controversial topic based on pure speculation? Nice.

I just brought up a suggestion as to one of the reasons why he may have picked him as was everyone else, I didn't say that was the reason.

The renown Dennis Dillon, writing for Sporting News Today, isn't too keen on the choice of Berman to introduce Ralph. While acknowledging it is Ralph's choice (thanks for that, Dennis), he says any of these would be more "appropriate":

Marv Levy, Jim Kelly or Bud Adams.

Here's my link, which may or may not work for you:

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnews...i&folio=CGI

You can probably Google "Sporting News Today", and look at today's issue in the archives (June 5, 2009).

My question isn't "Who the fu#k is Dennis Dillon to tell a HOF inductee who is, and isn't appropriate to introduce him?", it's this: Are there any accepted/traditional standards for who introduces a HOF inductee? I have seen players, coaches, sons, mentors, etc. Is the choice of a broadcaster in any way "inappropriate" for this task?

OK, that's two questions, I guess.

The renown Dennis Dillon, writing for Sporting News Today, isn't too keen on the choice of Berman to introduce Ralph. While acknowledging it is Ralph's choice (thanks for that, Dennis), he says any of these would be more "appropriate":

Marv Levy, Jim Kelly or Bud Adams.

Here's my link, which may or may not work for you:

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnews...i&folio=CGI

You can probably Google "Sporting News Today", and look at today's issue in the archives (June 5, 2009).

My question isn't "Who the fu#k is Dennis Dillon to tell a HOF inductee who is, and isn't appropriate to introduce him?", it's this: Are there any accepted/traditional standards for who introduces a HOF inductee? I have seen players, coaches, sons, mentors, etc. Is the choice of a broadcaster in any way "inappropriate" for this task?

OK, that's two questions, I guess.

Anybody got an email for Mr Dillion?

I miss Tim. Hard to believe in just about a week, it'll have been one year. But Berman is also a good choice.

+1. I truly believe Uncle Tim would be the presenter if he were still alive.

I think there's a lot worse things to do than picking a professional public speaker with an affinity for your team (not to mention access to a top writing staff) to present for your HOF induction.

In general, player enshrinees should be picking someone whose role on the team was equal or slightly above them (coach, owner) or someone from their personal lives. Were, say, Steve Tasker to pick Berman it might be considered a tad tacky.

With Ralph being an owner, Berman bringing a macrocosm viewpoint is very appropriate. Seems like, with this pick, Ralph wants someone who will highlight the larger role of what Ralph has meant to the NFL (and Buffalo) rather than leaning heavily on personal interactions and anecdotes.

+1. I truly believe Uncle Tim would be the presenter if he were still alive.

I think there's a lot worse things to do than picking a professional public speaker with an affinity for your team (not to mention access to a top writing staff) to present for your HOF induction.

In general, player enshrinees should be picking someone whose role on the team was equal or slightly above them (coach, owner) or someone from their personal lives. Were, say, Steve Tasker to pick Berman it might be considered a tad tacky.

With Ralph being an owner, Berman bringing a macrocosm viewpoint is very appropriate. Seems like, with this pick, Ralph wants someone who will highlight the larger role of what Ralph has meant to the NFL (and Buffalo) rather than leaning heavily on personal interactions and anecdotes.

That's an excellent take, James.

Not sure what his connection to the Bills or Ralph is other than the Circling the Wagons slogan?

You obviously weren't around then in the late 80s/early 90s ... As the Bills were rising to prominence, Berman was one of the first national media guys to back the team ... He was as much a part of the Bills heyday as any one. I think this is an awesome choice!