Jim Kelly to help Trent with No Huddle....

Per Rotoworld:

The Bills have sought Hall of Famer Jim Kelly's input on their new no huddle offense.

It's not clear how much the Bills plan to run the offense, but the fact that former "KGun" operator Kelly has been advising is a sign that they're serious about implementing the scheme.

Source: buffalobills.com

I think this could help a smart but inexperienced OL, as the defense will be limited in their calls, substitutions, and plays....

Indeed good news, but I still wonder why they're advertising this. I realize it's the age of the Internet and news like this can leak and spread like gangbusters, but now everyone knows the Bills will be running it and can prep for it (as best as a team can).

This is like telling all of the burglars what type of locks you're putting on your house.

Per Rotoworld:

The Bills have sought Hall of Famer Jim Kelly's input on their new no huddle offense.

It's not clear how much the Bills plan to run the offense, but the fact that former "KGun" operator Kelly has been advising is a sign that they're serious about implementing the scheme.

Source: buffalobills.com

I think this could help a smart but inexperienced OL, as the defense will be limited in their calls, substitutions, and plays....

I respectfully disagree. You need a smart , experienced line to run a no huddle offense. Too many chances of missed calls and false starts with a group that has not played even 1 game together.

Indeed good news, but I still wonder why they're advertising this. I realize it's the age of the Internet and news like this can leak and spread like gangbusters, but now everyone knows the Bills will be running it and can prep for it (as best as a team can).

This is like telling all of the burglars what type of locks you're putting on your house.

Yeah. During the last two preseasons, people were all atwitter about how clever the Bills were to be running a vanilla offense and not playing their hand.

If they are depending on an old QB to show them the ropes...yikes.

Faced with what seems to be a musical chair OL dotted with rookies, were I an opponent and the Bills pulled a quick offense, I'd blitz those kiddies and plant TE hard.

They want to inspire fear in their opponents' hearts.

That didn't seem to matter too much back in the day (outside of the SuperBowl , anyway). Everyone knew what was coming, but there weren't too many teams that successfully stopped the K-Gun.

Guest dog14787
They want to inspire fear in their opponents' hearts.

Exactly, and this could just be the tip of the iceberg. If Jim Kelly is going to help run the no huddle, its very possible Kelly will also be allowed to add plays that he deems necessary to make the No huddle work efficiently.

It may also mean Jim Kelly may try to be on hand to assist Shonert/Edwards in the actual play calling during the games.

(like a QB coach) :wallbash:

There would be absolutely nothing predictable about the Bills offense this coming up season. :beer:

The legend grows with every passing year.......

I would welcome his advice if I were any quarterback in the NFL trying to run any variation of the K-Gun. I mean, it's not like there have been that many advances in play calling over the last 10 years. Everyone still goes out and runs and passes and fakes and punts and kicks and hits. Nothing new there..... oh yeah , now they cheat (see Belichick, William).

Despite the fact that Kelly has been off the field for a decade, he still knows and ran the system as well as anyone in NFL history. He can surely teach Trent the nuances of the offense.

The legend grows with every passing year.......

I would welcome his advice if I were any quarterback in the NFL trying to run any variation of the K-Gun. I mean, it's not like there have been that many advances in play calling over the last 10 years. Everyone still goes out and runs and passes and fakes and punts and kicks and hits. Nothing new there..... oh yeah , now they cheat (see Belichick, William).

Despite the fact that Kelly has been off the field for a decade, he still knows and ran the system as well as anyone in NFL history. He can surely teach Trent the nuances of the offense.

Why? Edwards played qb in college, now entering his 3rd year in the pro league. I assume he's learned a thing or two along the way. Folks like to point out that he went to Stanford, so the assumption there is that he must be smart (forget those grade quotas).

This nuance...isn't that why teams hire QB coaches, just for such? Why would they want or need to have input from a QB who played under a much different set of rules? :wallbash:

I respectfully disagree. You need a smart , experienced line to run a no huddle offense. Too many chances of missed calls and false starts with a group that has not played even 1 game together.

I come down in between on this. young and smart and well trained over the course of preseason and preseason games it could serve to limit the defense which would work to the O-line's benefit. You make a good point on the other side as well, but all in all I think its worth the risk. I'm not at all confident about this o-line so any changes that would even the odds are looking good to me.

Why? Edwards played qb in college, now entering his 3rd year in the pro league. I assume he's learned a thing or two along the way. Folks like to point out that he went to Stanford, so the assumption there is that he must be smart (forget those grade quotas).

This nuance...isn't that why teams hire QB coaches, just for such? Why would they want or need to have input from a QB who played under a much different set of rules? :lol:

Because were talking about the Bills here. Our coaches and the play calling over the past 10 years speak for themselves.

Guest dog14787

This nuance...isn't that why teams hire QB coaches, just for such? Why would they want or need to have input from a QB who played under a much different set of rules? :lol:

Jim Kelly can implement and use his own set of rules though, and it will probably be a much better set of rules than the rules Turk Shonert uses now. :flirt:

I mean, it's not like there have been that many advances in play calling over the last 10 years. Everyone still goes out and runs and passes and fakes and punts and kicks and hits. Nothing new there..... oh yeah , now they cheat (see Belichick, William).

They cheated back then too (see Parcells, William.)