This is our Division

Check out this article: http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/687829.html

I've been writing here for the last month or two how I think the Bills will be improved this year, and how I see them definately in contention for the playoffs as a wild card. Well, I read this article and it was a bit of a wake up call for me. Looking at everything the Patriots did this off-season - and they were already a good team - they go out and pick up two very good recievers, when they already had Moss and Welker, and picking up F. Taylor, when they were the best running team in the division, at least against division rivals, and then going out and picking up two cornerbacks, one of which has a history of shutting down T. Owens. After reading the article, I thought: if the Bills had that roster at the end of last season, they probably wouldn't have thought they needed to improve much. Our Bills accept players at positions that are question marks, and ultimately, over the last decade, many of them end up not living up to expectations. Our team has been satisfied with mediocrity while other teams pursue excellence. I'm hoping I'm wrong, and that our roster is better than I think, but, after reading that article, it looks like the Patriots are absolutely stacked, and there are other teams as good, too, that we'd have to contend with: Pittsburgh, San Diego - and in the NFC the Giants and the Eagles have crazy talent. I guess I'm saying that it really hit home how questionable our roster is when it's lined up next to these playoff teams. It looks like we'll have to have luck on our side, and get everything out of our players, and call all the right plays to even be in the hunt.

At least we won't have to wait long to see how we stack up against the Pat's.

I'm not so sure the Patriots are still going to be as much of a powerhouse as they've been in the past. Good things rise and fall and I think the Patriots are on the fall part of the hill. It all started with the Super Bowl loss, then Tom Brady getting hurt, then not making the playoffs. All good things must come to an end.

I'm not so sure the Patriots are still going to be as much of a powerhouse as they've been in the past. Good things rise and fall and I think the Patriots are on the fall part of the hill. It all started with the Super Bowl loss, then Tom Brady getting hurt, then not making the playoffs. All good things must come to an end.

I'm sure Rex Ryan will have his team beat up on Brady & the Pats* Brady may have lost the ability to move around in the pocket that he had, we shall see.

I'm sure Rex Ryan will have his team beat up on Brady & the Pats* Brady may have lost the ability to move around in the pocket that he had, we shall see.

Ability to move in the pocket? That's the one thing he DIDN'T do well. Brady is almost entirely ineffective when he's pressured. See: Super Bowl 42

Ability to move in the pocket? That's the one thing he DIDN'T do well. Brady is almost entirely ineffective when he's pressured. See: Super Bowl 42

He was very good at side stepping,moving around in the pocket, buying time before the injury. The Giants were able to get a lot of pressure on him in the Super Bowl, more than he had ever been pressured before, making him less effective than normal. What I am saying is with the injury it may take less pressure to get to him.

I think that is the blueprint for beating them: pressure - not stop - on Brady. I absolutely agree that is the best approach to shutting down that offense. And, I think we'll give them a game that first game, because I don't think they'll be as prepared for Buffalo as they might later in the season, and our guys will be pumped up big time, and will play with a big chip on their shoulders.

I think you are exactly right. And i think that is also why the Bills went out and drafted the best pure rushing DE in the draft.

Everyone in the AFC east knows you got to beat NE to win the division. The only way to do that is put Brady on his butt a bunch of times during a game. You let him get comfortable back there, with those recievers, and you are done.

Bills realize they have to get more pressure on opponents. Then we as fans will really see how good our DBs look. I think Buffalo has potentially the best defensive backfield in the game. Given they dont have to cover guys for 5-6 seconds, they could really start to make some big plays.

You are usually not going to score a lot of points on the Pats. They may give up the occasional 30 points here or there. But the real way to beat the Pats is pressure Brady and run the Ball.

I think that is the blueprint for beating them: pressure - not stop - on Brady. I absolutely agree that is the best approach to shutting down that offense. And, I think we'll give them a game that first game, because I don't think they'll be as prepared for Buffalo as they might later in the season, and our guys will be pumped up big time, and will play with a big chip on their shoulders.

I think it depends on Dicks game plan. If he follows the Giants blue print & pressures Brady, I like the Bills chances. I am just afraid CONSERVATIVE Dick will lay back & let Brady pick them apart.

It all comes down to Brady*. Will the refs let teams get close to him without calling a personal foul as soon as he is touched. Because he has been injured and is getting older the key is for teams to really smack Brady* like our QB's always get smacked by the opposition. Remember Edwards's concussion coming from being smacked head down into the turf? If you really pressure and smack Brady around he will probably start to get more nagging injuries. I'm glad Rex Ryan is in our division now because he learned from his dad how to not let teams like the Patsies* just let their start QB simply beat you all day. You got to make a QB pay for it when he burns you a couple of times.

The Bills front office loves to talk about how some player has a nasty streak. They should draft DL with nasty streaks. I'm not too encouraged by Maybin on that score. Look at Wilfork* and Losman. We should look at like we owe Brady for that. Look at Bruce Smith and Boomer Esiason for the Jets. To this day Boomer can't understand why Bruce had it out for him. The cheating Brady* shouldn't have to wonder about that for the Bills if they go after him*.

Every time the Bills played the Patriots during the last 5 years, they and the media have pointed out that the way to beat the Pats is to put pressure on their quarterback. The only flaw with that strategy is that the Bills cannot get it done. Not every team can produce a pass rush like the Giants and the Bills are the poster boys for "weak pass rush.".

He was very good at side stepping,moving around in the pocket, buying time before the injury. The Giants were able to get a lot of pressure on him in the Super Bowl, more than he had ever been pressured before, making him less effective than normal. What I am saying is with the injury it may take less pressure to get to him.

Agreed.

Any offensive system with a lot of weapon, majority of the time the only way you can beat them is pressuring them into getting flustered and in turn make bad decisions. Once a quarterback becomes flustered, they lose swagger and rhythm. That in turn, trickles down to the other offensive players.

I've been amazed at how much this plays a role. I've been helping a friend from high school coach the local football team here since I graduated college. I know high school football is way off from pro football, but it's really cool to see our team be out-matched on paper yet sometimes totally dominate that opponent on the field. Pro football has a lot of complexities but I think football in general is 90% mental and comes down will and determination. Slap Brady on the helmet a few times and I bet he'll start crying like a baby.

They re-tools every few years, and go from very good to great.

Buffalo re-tools constantly, and fluctuates between bad and mediocre.

Looking at the HC's in the AFCE is also scary if you're a Bills fan. All the coaches are proven as either/or a coordinator or HC.

Rex Ryan is a rookie HC, but he has a solid track record as a DC. I'm sure he'll use the model Baltimore used with Flacco last season to work in Sanchez. Tony Sparano proved his worth by taking a less than stellar roster into the playoffs with a castoff at QB. And of course Belichick has those 3 SB titles and a history of being a defensive mastermind.

Beyond players, those three coaches are all better than DJ and his staff. RW, for all of his positives understanding markets in the NFL, still has and never will grasp how important it is to have and keep quality coaches. But that's not news to most Bills fans from years gone by.

Coaching is the most important commodity on the field, but Buffalo doesn't have a strong and innovative person holding down any of the HC, OC, and DC positions. The Bills will not get better until they find better coaching, like NYJ, MIA, and NE have done.

Which is what we did in that 31-0 rout almost 5 openers ago....and that was the last time we ever even came close to beating them.

Looking at the HC's in the AFCE is also scary if you're a Bills fan. All the coaches are proven as either/or a coordinator or HC.

Rex Ryan is a rookie HC, but he has a solid track record as a DC. I'm sure he'll use the model Baltimore used with Flacco last season to work in Sanchez. Tony Sparano proved his worth by taking a less than stellar roster into the playoffs with a castoff at QB. And of course Belichick has those 3 SB titles and a history of being a defensive mastermind.

Beyond players, those three coaches are all better than DJ and his staff. RW, for all of his positives understanding markets in the NFL, still has and never will grasp how important it is to have and keep quality coaches. But that's not news to most Bills fans from years gone by.

Coaching is the most important commodity on the field, but Buffalo doesn't have a strong and innovative person holding down any of the HC, OC, and DC positions. The Bills will not get better until they find better coaching, like NYJ, MIA, and NE have done.

I agree, I want Bobby April as the next Bills Head Coach. He is by far the best special teams coach in the league & Ralph could afford him.