Patriot*s Ball-Washing taken to new heights by si.com

File under "gimme a fcucking break."

SI.com awards the Pat*s the SuperBowl Title and League MVP to Brady if he doesn't injure his knee.

Read on an empty stomach

Look, I understand that the Pat*s are good (when was that last championship?), Belicheat is a god, and Brady is the wunderkind of the NFL, but this is beyond re-diculous . . .

Have your barf bag nearby . . .

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead, Brady's catastrophic injury of 2008, coupled with New England's devastating loss in Super Bowl XLII, leaves us with a mounting list of might-have-beens for one of the all-time greats.

I love how they leave the door open for more ballwashing for decades to come.

File under "gimme a fcucking break."

SI.com awards the Pat*s the SuperBowl Title and League MVP to Brady if he doesn't injure his knee.

Read on an empty stomach

Look, I understand that the Pat*s are good (when was that last championship?), Belicheat is a god, and Brady is the wunderkind of the NFL, but this is beyond re-diculous . . .

Have your barf bag nearby . . .

Um, why beyond rediculous? If Brady's knee holds up, he has a MORE talented team now than he did in 2007 with even more offensive weapons. On top of that, they key weapons (Moss and Welker) were in their first year in that system in 2007, now they have 2 full years under it. They added a better TE in A. Smith, Joey Galloway, Fred Taylor, and more DB's...

So, in 2007 Brady and the Pats didnt beat the league, they destroyed every opponent outside of the Giants. Why shouldnt they be the favorites to win it all and why shouldnt Brady be the favorite for MVP? Truth is, until they show otherwise on the field, they are still the team to beat and Brady is one of the best all time, so of course he is a huge MVP favorite with all these weapons...

Sounds like you drank your Hater-ade this morning...

Um, why beyond rediculous? If Brady's knee holds up, he has a MORE talented team now than he did in 2007 with even more offensive weapons. On top of that, they key weapons (Moss and Welker) were in their first year in that system in 2007, now they have 2 full years under it. They added a better TE in A. Smith, Joey Galloway, Fred Taylor, and more DB's...

So, in 2007 Brady and the Pats didnt beat the league, they destroyed every opponent outside of the Giants. Why shouldnt they be the favorites to win it all and why shouldnt Brady be the favorite for MVP? Truth is, until they show otherwise on the field, they are still the team to beat and Brady is one of the best all time, so of course he is a huge MVP favorite with all these weapons...

Sounds like you drank your Hater-ade this morning...

actually, that should be until the show that they can destroy all other teams WITHOUT CHEATING...

actually, that should be until the show that they can destroy all other teams WITHOUT CHEATING...

I'm as neutral as a guy can be when it comes to sports. I root for nothing other than a great showdown. I root for games to come down the final drive and playoff series to go seven games.

But I have to say -- because I see so much of it in so many different places -- all the whining about the Patriots makes me sympathize with them.

Let go of some of that bitterness, folks. The entire universe didn't exactly embrace the Bills when they went to four straight Super Bowls. Let's give credit where it's due. They're a great franchise, top to bottom. They're the standard not only for the NFL but for all of sports. They do it right.

As for the tiresome cheatriots talk, they went 18-1 without video help. If you recall, many believe they ran up the scores in 2007 as a response to the Jets turning them in. They proved they could win just fine without the tapes.

Ok, I know as a Bills fan its totally en vogue to constantly make references to the Pats as cheaters, but seriously, they didnt get all those wins beacuse of a few minutes of extra film in warm ups. The big deal being made about it is comical, and makes us look whiny lil girls for always complaining about it and its exactly why BB and the Pats ran the score up on everyone in 2007, to shove it up everyones arse.

If BB wass the Bills coach next year, or Brady somehow became our QB, everyone here would wet themselves in excitement

Ok, I know as a Bills fan its totally en vogue to constantly make references to the Pats as cheaters, but seriously, they didnt get all those wins beacuse of a few minutes of extra film in warm ups. The big deal being made about it is comical, and makes us look whiny lil girls for always complaining about it and its exactly why BB and the Pats ran the score up on everyone in 2007, to shove it up everyones arse.

If BB wass the Bills coach next year, or Brady somehow became our QB, everyone here would wet themselves in excitement

hahahaha, Tim you just beat me by a hair to the same post...

I can appreciate a good team and give credit where credit is due. That said, I have been force-fed non-stop Pat*s hype for quite some time now. Has it really gotten that deep into snore season that the best thing to occupy Kerry Burns' mind is what Brady and the Patriots might have done in '08?

Hell, if Dick were a better coach and Trent doesn't get injured, the Bills could have won 10 games, not 7. Add to that a non-injured Schobel, and the Bills are now at 12-4 and in the AFC Championship game, where the blimp craches into the stadium, wiping out the opposing team and sending the Bills to the SB for the first time in 2 decades . . . .

See how stupid it sounds??

It's the relentless hype machine that gets to me after awhile.

As for hate-er-aide , I still hate the Dolphins more than the Pat*s . . .

Probably.

And we ARE whiny little girls.

So yeah, they might have destroyed teams on thier way to the biggest choke of all time, but that doesn't erase the fact that they had seven years of cheating to help them establish thier "dynasty". And they made him coach of the year for it, which I think is even more comical and a much bigger deal than most people think.

Besides, didn't the tapes have signal calls on them and not warm up drills? Oh yeah, that's right, the NFL destroyed the tapes so no one could prove how deep that rabbit holes went. And if you don't think knowing what the defense was going to call didn't help Brady, then, well I guess we shouldn't even go any further.

That being said, Brady still has to make the throws and I must admit, he is more accurate than any QB I believe I have ever seen. Let's see how his knee does this year...

I'm as neutral as a guy can be when it comes to sports. I root for nothing other than a great showdown. I root for games to come down the final drive and playoff series to go seven games.

But I have to say -- because I see so much of it in so many different places -- all the whining about the Patriots makes me sympathize with them.

Let go of some of that bitterness, folks. The entire universe didn't exactly embrace the Bills when they went to four straight Super Bowls. Let's give credit where it's due. They're a great franchise, top to bottom. They're the standard not only for the NFL but for all of sports. They do it right.

As for the tiresome cheatriots talk, they went 18-1 without video help. If you recall, many believe they ran up the scores in 2007 as a response to the Jets turning them in. They proved they could win just fine without the tapes.

Understood, Tim, but what say you to things like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sports/f...ttee&st=cse

There were plenty of other articles around the time of Spygate in which other NFL folks, named (Jack Del Rio and Rod Marinelli each accusing the Pats of some bizarre headset problems at key times of the game at Gillette come to mind) and unnamed, accused the Pats of more than just Spygate. Doesn't it stand to reason that if a team that had received a very clear memo in July 2007 saying don't tape your opponents then goes and does so two months later that said team might also be interested in cheating in other ways?

Personally, I think that the League these days is a bit like the latter stages of Orwell's "Animal Farm"--"all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others". Dr. Z in his column (God bless him) during Spygate wondered aloud whether Kraft's status as a big shot owner meant that matter got handled much differently than other owners would have had it handled. Things like the Pats playing the Bills four years in a row off the bye week (natural odds of that happening randomly about 1 in 4000) or the Pats getting to play back to back West Coast games twice last year so that they wouldn't have to travel back east come to mind. This year, as soon as I heard Marshawn would likely be suspended, I said to my "I'll bet you $100 we open up with New England this year". It's just so predictable at this point.

Have you ever wondered how one team seems to get more calls and non-calls late in close games than any team in recent memory? I don't know if you were covering the Bills during the "just give it to them game", but there have been at least three Bills-Pats games in the last ten years that basically came down to horrific officiating (usually multiple calls/no calls going one way in a close game) in one direction only. If this were truly random, shouldn't that even out over time? I've asked Pats fans this many times in many fora and never gotten an answer--name me one close game that they lost late in the game on a controversial (and I mean controversial outside of Boston) call. They can't seem to do that, yet I and most other close fans of the sport can name close to ten that they won that way. That Baltimore Monday nighter in 2007 was a joke--once again, as soon as the Pats got the ball back I turned to my wife and said "the Pats will march down the field and score. If they need it, they will get help from the refs on the way." Again, it's just so predictable at this point.

Isn't it possible that very rich and powerful men who are used to winning at everything they do will be so addicted to winning that the line between moral and immoral gets blurred? We see it all the time in other areas of life, why would sports be any different? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'm just going by what I'm seeing with my own eyes, like Nate Clements being nowhere near out of bounds yet an early whistle wiping 6 off the board in a close game yet again......

I can appreciate a good team and give credit where credit is due. That said, I have been force-fed non-stop Pat*s hype for quite some time now. Has it really gotten that deep into snore season that the best thing to occupy Kerry Burns' mind is what Brady and the Patriots might have done in '08?

Hell, if Dick were a better coach and Trent doesn't get injured, the Bills could have won 10 games, not 7. Add to that a non-injured Schobel, and the Bills are now at 12-4 and in the AFC Championship game, where the blimp craches into the stadium, wiping out the opposing team and sending the Bills to the SB for the first time in 2 decades . . . .

See how stupid it sounds??

It's the relentless hype machine that gets to me after awhile.

As for hate-er-aide , I still hate the Dolphins more than the Pat*s . . .

You must be kidding with that statement above right? Do you even know how bad Trent was in his last 8 games? Lets play a game called "Who am I?" I have 3 TD's and 10 turnovers in 4 divisional games with one game under a 50 QB rating, another at 50 and the other two in the sixties and 70's...give up? Answer is Trent Edwards.

He was terrible in 6 of his last 8 games and just ok in the other 2...so how do you say we win 10 or 12 games if he doesnt get hurt? Let me ask you this, how many games did he win in his last 8?

Trent may be better this year, and I hope he is, but last year was not good

C'mon, Tim.

There's a distinct different between "credit" and round the clock coverage.

They're the standard for the NFL, really?

What about the Pittsburgh Steelers? They've won two Super Bowls since the last time the Patriots won, and ESPN, yahoo sports, SI, et al gives them a FRACTION of the coverage. What gives?

Your argument suggests that no other fans can accept the fact that the Patriots are good. That's simply not the case, and not at all the topic of this thread.

We're just sick and tired of being TOLD they're good, non stop.

Understood, Tim, but what say you to things like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sports/f...ttee&st=cse

There were plenty of other articles around the time of Spygate in which other NFL folks, named (Jack Del Rio and Rod Marinelli each accusing the Pats of some bizarre headset problems at key times of the game at Gillette come to mind) and unnamed, accused the Pats of more than just Spygate. Doesn't it stand to reason that if a team that had received a very clear memo in July 2007 saying don't tape your opponents then goes and does so two months later that said team might also be interested in cheating in other ways?

Personally, I think that the League these days is a bit like the latter stages of Orwell's "Animal Farm"--"all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others". Dr. Z in his column (God bless him) during Spygate wondered aloud whether Kraft's status as a big shot owner meant that matter got handled much differently than other owners would have had it handled. Things like the Pats playing the Bills four years in a row off the bye week (natural odds of that happening randomly about 1 in 4000) or the Pats getting to play back to back West Coast games twice last year so that they wouldn't have to travel back east come to mind. This year, as soon as I heard Marshawn would likely be suspended, I said to my "I'll bet you $100 we open up with New England this year". It's just so predictable at this point.

Have you ever wondered how one team seems to get more calls and non-calls late in close games than any team in recent memory? I don't know if you were covering the Bills during the "just give it to them game", but there have been at least three Bills-Pats games in the last ten years that basically came down to horrific officiating (usually multiple calls/no calls going one way in a close game) in one direction only. If this were truly random, shouldn't that even out over time? I've asked Pats fans this many times in many fora and never gotten an answer--name me one close game that they lost late in the game on a controversial (and I mean controversial outside of Boston) call. They can't seem to do that, yet I and most other close fans of the sport can name close to ten that they won that way. That Baltimore Monday nighter in 2007 was a joke--once again, as soon as the Pats got the ball back I turned to my wife and said "the Pats will march down the field and score. If they need it, they will get help from the refs on the way." Again, it's just so predictable at this point.

Isn't it possible that very rich and powerful men who are used to winning at everything they do will be so addicted to winning that the line between moral and immoral gets blurred? We see it all the time in other areas of life, why would sports be any different? Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I'm just going by what I'm seeing with my own eyes, like Nate Clements being nowhere near out of bounds yet an early whistle wiping 6 off the board in a close game yet again......

I've always found the headset stuff interesting, but I doubt the NFL lets them get away with it just because.

As for the rest of your post, I'm sorry. I've covered sports long enough and have gotten into more philosophical discussions that I can count, but when "league-wide officiating conspiracy" gets injected into the discourse, the conversation is over for me.

C'mon, Tim.

There's a distinct different between "credit" and round the clock coverage.

Should I go back and delete all those Terrell Owens posts in the days after he signed with the Bills so that way I can even up the coverage for the other teams?

Tom Brady has been THE NFL story this week. You better believe an exclusive interview for the first time in nearly nine months is going to land him and the Patriots on the cover of Sports Illustrated. And do you think I should have gone to New York to speak with Thomas Jones yesterday or been in Foxborough for Brady's first on-field appearance since he got hurt?

Believe me, a lot of people out there already are sick of T.O. and the Bills and Mark Sanchez and the Jets, too.

They're the standard for the NFL, really?

What about the Pittsburgh Steelers? They've won two Super Bowls since the last time the Patriots won, and ESPN, yahoo sports, SI, et al gives them a FRACTION of the coverage. What gives?

Your argument suggests that no other fans can accept the fact that the Patriots are good. That's simply not the case, and not at all the topic of this thread.

We're just sick and tired of being TOLD they're good, non stop.

The Patriots are the standard business model in all of sports. It was the Forbes cover story recently. Sports Illustrated recently rated the top owners in sports. Bob Kraft was No. 1.

As for measuring coverage league-wide on who gets how much ... You're completely guessing and clearly have made up your mind the Patriots get a lot more than the others without anything more than an assumption. I think you're wrong.

I also think you probably notice Patriots coverage more often because it upsets you more than Steelers coverage. The Bills play the Patriots twice a year and you follow all the games within the division. The Bills play the Steelers once every few years. Stands to reason you'd absorb more Patriots information than Steelers. And NOBODY gets more national attention than the Cowboys.

If you're sick of hearing about the Patriots being good, maybe it's because you're more sick of your team being worse.

Should I go back and delete all those Terrell Owens posts in the days after he signed with the Bills so that way I can even up the coverage for the other teams?

The TO media circus is just as widely acknowledged as the New England/NFC East orgy, here and everywhere else.

The Patriots are the standard business model in all of sports. It was the Forbes cover story recently. Sports Illustrated recently rated the top owners in sports. Bob Kraft was No. 1.

Thank you for acknowledging by point.

As for measuring coverage league-wide on who gets how much ... You're completely guessing and clearly have made up your mind the Patriots get a lot more than the others without anything more than an assumption. I think you're wrong.

No, I'm not guessing. Even my NYG fan roommate complains about Patriots/Brady coverage, and his team gets almost as much attention.

I also think you probably notice Patriots coverage more often because it upsets you more than Steelers coverage. The Bills play the Patriots twice a year and you follow all the games within the division. The Bills play the Steelers once every few years. Stands to reason you'd absorb more Patriots information than Steelers. And NOBODY gets more national attention than the Cowboys.

I'm from Western Pennsylvania, I keep my eye on the Bills, the Steelers, and the Browns. I know what I see/hear and what I don't see/hear.

If you're sick of hearing about the Patriots being good, maybe it's because you're more sick of your team being worse.

May be, but it's also because I'm aware that there are 31 other teams in the league, that I simply don't hear about ad nauseum, with few exceptions.

If the Patriots weren't favored by the media then how come we have an article about what MIGHT have happened if Brady played? WHO CARES!?

If the Patriots weren't favored by the media then how is that they're the Super Bowl favorite (in May no less) a year after they missed the playoffs, knowing that Tom Brady won't be 100% (in spite of what he says), and when THE Super Bowl Champions are returning practically all of their starters?

Tom Brady has been THE NFL story this week. You better believe an exclusive interview for the first time in nearly nine months is going to land him and the Patriots on the cover of Sports Illustrated. And do you think I should have gone to New York to speak with Thomas Jones yesterday or been in Foxborough for Brady's first on-field appearance since he got hurt?

Believe me, a lot of people out there already are sick of T.O. and the Bills and Mark Sanchez and the Jets, too.

Spot on. If Buffalo made an attempt to sniff the playoffs in the recent past we wouldn't notice it as much.The fact that we haven't fielded something competitive in over a decade makes us more miserable than optimistic. We are all believers but the fact that we have stunk something awful and they have had continued success just magnifies it that much more. Until we win we don't deserve the national pub.