DJ: Steve Johnson's role to expand

Man we're going to be deep at WR this season, plan on a lot of passing plays being called.

Buffalo’s receiving corps might be the most congested group of talent on the team’s roster heading into the 2009 season. There are proven playmakers, valuable veterans and some promising youngsters. Whether there’s room on the roster to keep them all however, is a big question mark.

Some might think Steve Johnson could be at risk being a former seventh-round pick. But if you talk to the coaching staff they believe the second-year wideout has a future with the Bills.

“Definitely,” said head coach Dick Jauron. “We expect him to compete. He plays well. He gets on the field and makes plays. I’m really looking forward to see him back here.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...9d-628b722b84f2

Evans, Owens, Reed, Johnson, Parrish, and Hardy. That is really one more wide out then you like to have. But i dont see how you can let any of them go. Owens is here for one season, and will help Johnson and Hardy be able to develope for another season. Next year either Johnson or Hardy take over for Owens as the number two.

The only guy that could be expendable is Parrish as he is more a ST then a true wide out. But he is a good ST player and could step into the slot if Reed gets injured.

Evans, Owens, Reed, Johnson, Parrish, and Hardy. That is really one more wide out then you like to have. But i dont see how you can let any of them go. Owens is here for one season, and will help Johnson and Hardy be able to develope for another season. Next year either Johnson or Hardy take over for Owens as the number two.

The only guy that could be expendable is Parrish as he is more a ST then a true wide out. But he is a good ST player and could step into the slot if Reed gets injured.

Talent overload, LOL.

I have to give you credit for your work ethic. Rarely do you post anything we don't already know, but I think most of us are just too lazy to start countless threads.

You mean like the fact the article is on the front page of TBD and easy for anyone to see?

Jettison Reed. He is not a playmaker, although a great blocker. Last year was certainly an eye opener after so many dismally pedestrian campaigns. But still, he is the most expendable, to me.

I have to give you credit for your work ethic. Rarely do you post anything we don't already know, but I think most of us are just too lazy to start countless threads.

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing. I know, like everyone else, I give you sh-- but you just keep on chuggin'. I'm a bit surprised by your rebounding ability.

Jettison Reed. He is not a playmaker, although a great blocker. Last year was certainly an eye opener after so many dismally pedestrian campaigns. But still, he is the most expendable, to me.

Do u watch the games, or just play fantasy football? :rolleyes:

Yeah let's jettison one of our most clutch WR's over the last 2 years, someone that actually seems to like playing in Buff. IDK what games you've been watching but at times it seems to me that Josh is the heart of this offense. I wish we had 10 more guys on O that had his fire sometimes. Even though he had some trouble in the past with his hands, I think he's more then made up for it. Reed has been one of the few that has embraced Buffalo and it bothers me that some still dismiss him.

Not for nothing but the guy has kept his nose clean as well, something that seems very hard for our younger leaders on this team. I would rather Josh mentor some of these guys instead of the numbskulls that are getting tasered and pulled over with guns.

We have to keep them all. None are worth gettign rid of, and Owens will leave after 09. keep one or two inactice -- like Schoebel and Fine were for much of last season. Injuries happen and 2-3 of these guys will miss games, so dont worry about who we have to get rid of, worry about how to keep them all.

Why does this make you "Laugh out loud?"

I'm guessing because a #2 receiver, an old aging locker room cancer, an average slot receiver, a punt returner, an often injured/off the field trouble maker, and a talented but raw late round pick do not = talent overload. Maybe position overload but certainly not talent.

I am with you, up till last year our nickname for Reed was 'slow girl'. But the light seemed to really come on for him. And the offense really seemed to struggle when he went out. I also think he has turned into one of the leaders for the team. I would prefer to let Parrish go and keep Reed.

The smartest thing the Bills could do is go with a heavy dose of no huddle with the spread formation in 09. If Trent is as smart as they say, and with his quick release, he should have no problem getting rid of the ball before the defenders get to him. I'd like to see the Pats try to cover Evans, Owens, Johnson, Reed and Lynch/Jackson with this scheme. If they blitz there's a hot read, if they try to cover good luck with that. Does Jauron have the balls to give the go ahead on this? Yeah right.

I think the Bills would average 24 points a game and be a serious playoff contender doing this, and after three excruciatingly conservative low scoring years the games would finally be much more enjoyable to watch.

I'm guessing because a #2 receiver, an old aging locker room cancer, an average slot receiver, a punt returner, an often injured/off the field trouble maker, and a talented but raw late round pick do not = talent overload. Maybe position overload but certainly not talent.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

The smartest thing the Bills could do is go with a heavy dose of no huddle with the spread formation in 09. If Trent is as smart as they say, and with his quick release, he should have no problem getting rid of the ball before the defenders get to him. I'd like to see the Pats try to cover Evans, Owens, Johnson, Reed and Lynch/Jackson with this scheme. If they blitz there's a hot read, if they try to cover good luck with that. Does Jauron have the balls to give the go ahead on this? Yeah right.

I think the Bills would average 24 points a game and be a serious playoff contender doing this, and after three excruciatingly conservative low scoring years the games would finally be much more enjoyable to watch.

If it works well, we might actually hit the upper 20's in points.

We have a #2 receiver? Last i checked we had two #1s.

well played inky.