DJ: Steve Johnson's role to expand

We have a #2 receiver? Last i checked we had two #1s.

I love when people call Evans a #2 receiver, even though he had better stats than 2 of the 4 players elected to the pro bowl in the AFC last season, and has better #s through 5 seasons than Andre Reed had in the same amount of time playing with 1/10th of the ability around him that Reed had.

I think some people are just dumb.

We have a #2 receiver? Last i checked we had two #1s.

I have no idea what makes you think either Evans or Owens are true #1 receivers in this league. Evans on his best day might pass for one, and Owens 3 years ago passed for one.

I think some people are just dumb.

Yes.

Okay, well back to Steve Johnson:

Steve Johnson will benefit most from having Terrel Owens on the team this year. In terms of body "type" Steve Johnson is most like T.O. of any of the guys we have. Sadly, Johnson's just a touch shorter, and presently about 20 lbs lighter than Owens but:

1. TO has and always will be an athletic freak, so holding out for a guy of his size and proportions = a fool's errand.
  2. TO is 13 years older than Steve Johnson. When TO was SJ's age, SJ was 9. SJ will grow, some.

I also liked the production we got from SJ last year, considering he was a rookie. He seemed to have above average rookie awareness and excellent physical tools.

Getcha popcorn ready! Steve Johnson will one day prove to be the best pick of the 2008 draft!

Yeah let's jettison one of our most clutch WR's over the last 2 years, someone that actually seems to like playing in Buff. IDK what games you've been watching but at times it seems to me that Josh is the heart of this offense. I wish we had 10 more guys on O that had his fire sometimes. Even though he had some trouble in the past with his hands, I think he's more then made up for it. Reed has been one of the few that has embraced Buffalo and it bothers me that some still dismiss him.

Not for nothing but the guy has kept his nose clean as well, something that seems very hard for our younger leaders on this team. I would rather Josh mentor some of these guys instead of the numbskulls that are getting tasered and pulled over with guns.

If Reed is the heart of our offense, that would explain why our offense sucks. And whether or not he has "embraced Buffalo" or not is totally meaningless. I am not looking for a hug, I want wins. There isn't a team in the league that is wondering how they are going to cover Reed. The last thing we need is another "nose clean" likable guy who has so little talent that when he makes a play once every 10 freaking games, we all go nuts. He is the human equivalent of a 7-9 season, not so bad, but not so good either.

Uh...where in the article does it say Johnson's role to expand? Whats up with the thread title?

Jauron didn't say this...all he said is "he will compete." Which isn't really saying anything at all.

It's a Skuuuby thread. Do you expect any of it to be coherent and make sense?

I have no idea what makes you think either Evans or Owens are true #1 receivers in this league. Evans on his best day might pass for one, and Owens 3 years ago passed for one.

Yes.

Maybe because NFL scouts and GMs salivate over Evans on a continual basis? Plus, T.O. is a lock for 80 catches 1000 yards. Both are top 20 receivers.

My guess is that Steve Johnson will mainly come in if one of the 3 other WR's get injured, and in redzone situations. Josh Reed is beginning to be a very reliable and clutch receiver, but he is not good at catching TD's, where Steve has shown the ability to do so in his limited opportunities.

We expect him to compete.

-Dick Jauron

Those are his famous words. Will someone please tell this man that playing just to compete is not the same as playing to win?

When Gruden (who I'm not fond of, but at least speaks with some passion) is asked a similar question, he'll say something along the lines of "The guys a gamer. He'll be playing to win out there..." etc. Why do people even feed DJ with questions. He is by far the absolute WORST interviewing coach of all-time.

Those are his famous words. Will someone please tell this man that playing just to compete is not the same as playing to win?

When Gruden (who I'm not fond of, but at least speaks with some passion) is asked a similar question, he'll say something along the lines of "The guys a gamer. He'll be playing to win out there..." etc. Why do people even feed DJ with questions. He is by far the absolute WORST interviewing coach of all-time.

As awful as Jauron is, I'd rather listen to him talk for 2 hours than Belichick for 5 minutes. :thumbsup:

Saying Evans and TO are not #1 receivers in the league would indicate that there are 32 others who are better than them. I'm curious as to who you think these players are? For every team like Arizona who has the Fitzgerald/Boldin combo there are teams like the Giants, Bears, and Rams who are REALLY weak at WR.

Calling Josh Reed expendable is VERY debatable. You did notice how miserable the offense was without him right? I'm not saying they were great when he was there, but there was a significant drop-off when he was out. The dude is clutch on 3rd down, blocks (which is more important than some people seem to believe), and has become the go to guy for Edwards.

I would like to see the WR crop we have stay despite the number. Just by watching T.O. in person will help Hardy and Johnson tremendously and NEXT year is going to show huge improvement in both of them.

As awful as Jauron is, I'd rather listen to him talk for 2 hours than Belichick for 5 minutes. :thumbsup:

i'd hate to have DJ & Bellicheat in the same room for a press conference.. i've seen morgues that are more animated