Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dying of a drug overdose?

Drink Heavily.

I was at that abortion of a game yesterday and saw first hand how bad we really are. No heart, no drive, no coach. Its terrible. Season ticket holders have every right to ask for a refund for the remainder of the year. I commend you for going to every game and spending hundreds of dollars every week. I do once maybe twice a year, I had the worst feeling about this game before kick off. An 0-3 Miami team at home with their backs against the wall, desperately needing a win and they literally kicked the **** out of us from start to finish.

That's coaching, that's getting your guys prepared. With basically a rookie QB no less. The Trent project is over and done with, the guy just doesn't have it. He wants to be good but is just set up to fail.

Tim,

I heard on either Sunday Night Countdown, or NFL Blitz (espn news) that Holmgren wanted to "raise the curtain" again. Could we presume that a certain NFL team in western New York has been looking for a new head coach? Or am I being too wishful?

BTW, thank you for taking your time to answer these questions.

I haven't heard anything about that and would be surprised if the Bills made that move, not only because they don't generally go after those types of high-profile coaches, but mostly because I have a feeling Bobby April will be the next head coach. That's my hunch. Not insider info.

The same as I did before the game. He's above average when he has a solid supporting cast. Decent tools, but not a guy who can carry a team.

When considering all starting QBs in the NFL, which 1 or 2 do you consider to be "average"? I am looking for median more than mean. Who are the guys in the middle?

The same as I did before the game. He's above average when he has a solid supporting cast. Decent tools, but not a guy who can carry a team.

Owens, Lynch, Jackson, Evans...

I would say that his is a decent supporting cast. The guy does NOT get rid of the ball. He is gun shy plain and simple. On the pick he threw for a TD Lee was 1 on 1 with a rookie CB. Yet he doesn't audible to deep route and proceeds to throw a 10 yard telegraphed out. Good QB's recognize that and he didn't. Hell I saw it from my seats!All the brains in the world and NO BALLS! I would honestly take Dilfer out of retirement and I bet he could get this team rolling. Edwards isn't a winner, plain and simple.

He shouldn't be the coach anymore.

That said, nobody can win with this group.

By "this group", do you mean the players or the front office? I'd agree with that statement if you meant the latter, but not necessarily the former. I think the right coach can motivate these players to win.

Nevertheless, Tim...how soon do you see Jauron losing his job? Ralph's comments yesterday didn't exactly inspire my confidence that he's willing to let Jauron go. My feeling is that we're stuck with Jauron through the season. If there's ANY point during the season, the bye week seems the most logical, but I'm not convinced that Jauron would get the boot during the season.

Owens, Lynch, Jackson, Evans...

I would say that his is a decent supporting cast. The guy does NOT get rid of the ball. He is gun shy plain and simple. On the pick he threw for a TD Lee was 1 on 1 with a rookie CB. Yet he doesn't audible to deep route and proceeds to throw a 10 yard telegraphed out. Good QB's recognize that and he didn't. Hell I saw it from my seats!All the brains in the world and NO BALLS! I would honestly take Dilfer out of retirement and I bet he could get this team rolling. Edwards isn't a winner, plain and simple.

No line.

No line.

I agree with that, but still, when Trent does have time, he seems not to do much with it. With the better qbs, it seems like if you give them a few seconds against a zone they'll eventually find someone open down the middle of the field. For Edwards, he just gets to go through all his reads before eventually checking down. The line isn't doing Trent any favors, but he's not doing himself any either. I've been waiting for a couple years for him to break out of this trend, but I'm now officially out of patience. Do you have any idea if the coaching staff has made it a point of emphasis to work with Trent on recognizing receivers deep down the middle of the field?

I agree with that, but still, when Trent does have time, he seems not to do much with it. With the better qbs, it seems like if you give them a few seconds against a zone they'll eventually find someone open down the middle of the field. For Edwards, he just gets to go through all his reads before eventually checking down. The line isn't doing Trent any favors, but he's not doing himself any either. I've been waiting for a couple years for him to break out of this trend, but I'm now officially out of patience. Do you have any idea if the coaching staff has made it a point of emphasis to work with Trent on recognizing receivers deep down the middle of the field?

Edwards moved the offense just fine in Weeks 1 and 2. Nobody was railing against him then. If the offense performed like that every week -- even if he didn't go deep and kept ignoring Owens and Evans -- I think fans would be satisfied with that. It wouldn't be high entertainment, but it would work.

I haven't heard anything about that and would be surprised if the Bills made that move, not only because they don't generally go after those types of high-profile coaches, but mostly because I have a feeling Bobby April will be the next head coach. That's my hunch. Not insider info.

This may be a dumb question but I am gonna ask it anyway Tim.

Why don't the Bills go after a high profile guy? I keep hearing on this board that Ralph is a cheap skate. Is that true, or does the Bills franchise not make enough money to bring in a guy like that? Where does the money that a head coach gets come from? Has any NFL franchise hired a special teams coordinator as a HC?

By "this group", do you mean the players or the front office? I'd agree with that statement if you meant the latter, but not necessarily the former. I think the right coach can motivate these players to win.

Nevertheless, Tim...how soon do you see Jauron losing his job? Ralph's comments yesterday didn't exactly inspire my confidence that he's willing to let Jauron go. My feeling is that we're stuck with Jauron through the season. If there's ANY point during the season, the bye week seems the most logical, but I'm not convinced that Jauron would get the boot during the season.

The players aren't good, and it's because the front office didn't collect enough. I don't have as much of a problem with Tom Modrak as others. I think the draft picks have been pretty good, and some decisions have been made based not on the scouting reports but a specific need, want or direction from Levy, Jauron, etc.

The main problem to me is keeping their good players when their contracts are up, bringing in free agents and having depth players who actually would make another NFL team.

This may be a dumb question but I am gonna ask it anyway Tim.

Why don't the Bills go after a high profile guy? I keep hearing on this board that Ralph is a cheap skate. Is that true, or does the Bills franchise not make enough money to bring in a guy like that? Where does the money that a head coach gets come from? Has any NFL franchise hired a special teams coordinator as a HC?

Not a dumb question at all.

The perception around the league is that it mostly has to do with control. When you hire an up-and-coming coach or a retread, he's beholden to you. An established football mind has his own ideas and would insist on the latitude to execute his plan.

Tim,

You replied in this thread that no one can win with this group. I agree, but what do you see happening at the end of the season? Will the Bills clean house? What can we reasonably expect in terms of changes? Or as fans can we expect 10 more years of playoffless winters?

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all.

The perception around the league is that it mostly has to do with control. When you hire an up-and-coming coach or a retread, he's beholden to you. An established football mind has his own ideas and would insist on the latitude to execute his plan.

Is Ralph really that controlling? I am from NorCal and from here it seems like Ralph is barely involved at all. Am I wrong in seeing this? I see the involvement of past and present owners from this area (Eddie DeBartolo and Al Davis) and to me Ralph is a pushover compaired to these two. I just don't get it.

No line.

He has just as much time as any number of Qbs in the league. He does not have enough sac to throw it. Thats what it boils down too. He does not trust himself down field. And it going to get even worse as the year progresses. Same thing happened last year after the fumble in Miami and he completely **** the bed from that point. The guy doesn't have IT. I would honestly welcome Jamarcus Russell at this point. At least he has faith in his ability and take some shots.

He has just as much time as any number of Qbs in the league. He does not have enough sac to throw it. Thats what it boils down too. He does not trust himself down field. And it going to get even worse as the year progresses. Same thing happened last year after the fumble in Miami and he completely **** the bed from that point. The guy doesn't have IT. I would honestly welcome Jamarcus Russell at this point. At least he has faith in his ability and take some shots.

I agree that he doesn't have IT.

I agree that he doesn't have IT.

Tim

I know this isn't your realm, its more for Mcshay and the Hair piece but what college QB do you like right now that you can see playing in Buffalo?

This kid Pike from Cincy is great. Throws it around, has a decent group of WR's and can play in the COLD!

Actually, Edwards' forte was (and still is, I would argue) getting rid of the ball quickly. I would go further than Tim and argue that our offensive scheme is beyond pathetic. It's hard to see it on TV, but I have been watching, and it's almost like it's set up to fail - very few routes, no motion, predictable sets (because there are so few), and very, very easy for a good defensive coordinator to scheme against. Moreover, the tackles right now are the worst pair in the league.

I agree with Tim that Edwards probably has the potential to be an above average QB in terms of actual productivity. He can be very accurate, he processes info quickly, and he gets rid of the ball quickly. He has a number of flaws, but looking at it now, I'm thinking that Schoenert disrespected Pop Warner when he leveled his critique of Jauron's intentions for the offense.

Actually, Edwards' forte was (and still is, I would argue) getting rid of the ball quickly. I would go further than Tim and argue that our offensive scheme is beyond pathetic. It's hard to see it on TV, but I have been watching, and it's almost like it's set up to fail - very few routes, no motion, predictable sets (because there are so few), and very, very easy for a good defensive coordinator to scheme against. Moreover, the tackles right now are the worst pair in the league.

I agree with Tim that Edwards probably has the potential to be an above average QB in terms of actual productivity. He can be very accurate, he processes info quickly, and he gets rid of the ball quickly. He has a number of flaws, but looking at it now, I'm thinking that Schoenert disrespected Pop Warner when he leveled his critique of Jauron's intentions for the offense.

I disagree on processing quickly. The ball that he threw to Lee yesterday was late because of his "processing" and not getting rid of it quickly. There are plenty of other instances as well.