Assuming Byrd is our FS...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's still a very solid player that is talented enough to play several spots in the secondary. He is still very young, has a lot of leadership ablities, never complained when he was starting next to an UDFA at corner and safety in 2007, and seems to enjoy being a Bill.

There are a ton of positives about Whitner but people just to focus on all the negative ones becuase of his draft place. It's done and no amount of female dogging will change that. Though almost a full 2 years younger than Bob Sanders at similar points in their career, Whitner has similar stats. Sanders became Defensive MVP after his 4th season.

So Whitner may not be amazing, he is still a big positive on this team. Stop dwelling on the past and look towards the future where will have one of the youngest and most talented secondaries in the NFL.

I don't dislike Donte, in fact I've said in this thread that I hope he does succeed but please let's not compare him to Bob Sanders. I've seen Bob Sanders change games with just his presence on the field, I would love to see that from Whitner but there is nothing he has done in the last 3 years that makes me think he is capable of that. I don't care where he was drafted and have not yet brought that up so I'm not sure where that argument comes from. My problem with Donte is that it seems as though his mouth runs harder then he does. He is his biggest fan, and while I have no problem with someone talking up a big game, if they do then they should back it up. It's one thing to talk like a leader and it's another to play like one. Maybe my expectations are too high but I would like to see both from our supposed leader.

There is no way they keep Byrd off the field. This guy is a playmaker. He will start day 1. Whitner will go back to strong safety, and Bryan Scott will come in for bad weather games and running situations.

Just my opinion.

Whitner will obviously be playing SS, but I LOVE Scott on short yardage defense...

I cannot even count how many times this guy made a backfield stop on 3rd or 4th and short...he always seems to be able to get in the backfield and disrupt the plays...in fact that was one of the first things I noticed with him---I was like man that guy makes a lot of tackles for losses in those situations...

IMO you could line up Scott as an LB on short yardage and play a 4-4-3 with Scott being the extra LB, he is that effective at stuffing runs...

I apologize if this was brought up already, but in light of Whitners off the field troubles, is there any chance he gets suspended or in some sort of trouble with the league. Maybe thats why they drafted Byrd, Donte has already reached his peak <_<

There is no way they keep Byrd off the field. This guy is a playmaker. He will start day 1. Whitner will go back to strong safety, and Bryan Scott will come in for bad weather games and running situations.

Just my opinion.

He may not start Day 1 but by Sept. of 2011 I think we'll be glad we have a guy that makes GAME changing plays,... along with McKelvin

• 3 months later...
He may not start Day 1 but by Sept. of 2011 I think we'll be glad we have a guy that makes GAME changing plays,... along with McKelvin

When I just saw that Ngata, that NT from Baltimore has more career interceptions in the 3 yrs both are in the league than Witner i almost sh*t. What is going on? How can a saftey drafted above a 300lb NT have less interceptions than a NT we passed on?????

When I just saw that Ngata, that NT from Baltimore has more career interceptions in the 3 yrs both are in the league than Witner i almost sh*t. What is going on? How can a saftey drafted above a 300lb NT have less interceptions than a NT we passed on?????

Whitner is asked to do so many unique and interesting things that making INTs isn't a priority. :lol:

With Byrd playing "center field," I think the strong safety's main priority will be stopping the run. Therefore, if Whitner is not as good a tackler/ run stopper, could he possibly end up not starting this year because of Scott? Whitner just doesnt seem to fit at either S position and I remember several times last year when Scott played really stout against the run. Thoughts? What a shame it would be if our number 8 overall pick didnt even start....

Andrew

If it's possibly leaning in this direction then Buffalo should package Whitner up and trade him before the season starts. I believe Cleveland is in need of a safety.

What?

I think what he means is that Scott didn't handle those guys one on one by himself and shut them down.

In the games vs SD and Cleveland Whitner was on the field and in the game vs KC when Whitner wasn't on the field Gonzales abused Scott to the tune of 10 catches for over 100 yrds and a TD.