The Machine that is Brett Favre...

I completely agree. Favre has become so overrated its not even funny. People in this thread actually think he was a better QB than Marino?? Elway?? Laughable. <_<

People seem to forget that Aikman did win 3 Superbowls. And if Jimmy Johnson would have stayed on, he probably would've won more. It's no secret that Aikman didn't get along with Barry Switzer.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favre is better than Aikman. No matter how many times you analyze it.

I am no favre fan but yeah its true. Aikman had talent around him all thought out his prime years. Name one big name wideout favre had during his 1994-1997 run where he had his best stats and won a super bowl and played in another. When Favre had a good o-line and Amhed Green to hand the ball off to as well as a decent receiver in Donald Driver he had another stretch run where he put up great numbers and got into the playoffs in 2001-2002 as well as 2004.

Aikman had a good o-line, Emmit Smith who was better than any running back that Favre had. Michale Irving who was better than any wide receiver Favre had and Aikman had a tight end in Jay Novacek that was better than anything favre had. If you put Favre on those Cowboy teams They become a even bigger dynasty getting five to seven championships as well as being a longer dynasty. Aikman was a good qb in a great situation but I wouldn't put him in my top ten all time maybe lower top 20.

I am no favre fan but yeah its true. Aikman had talent around him all thought out his prime years. Name one big name wideout favre had during his 1994-1997 run where he had his best stats and won a super bowl and played in another. When Favre had a good o-line and Amhed Green to hand the ball off to as well as a decent receiver in Donald Driver he had another stretch run where he put up great numbers and got into the playoffs in 2001-2002 as well as 2004.

Aikman had a good o-line, Emmit Smith who was better than any running back that Favre had. Michale Irving who was better than any wide receiver Favre had and Aikman had a tight end in Jay Novacek that was better than anything favre had. If you put Favre on those Cowboy teams They become a even bigger dynasty getting five to seven championships as well as being a longer dynasty. Aikman was a good qb in a great situation but I wouldn't put him in my top ten all time maybe lower top 20.

Farve didnt exactly have a bad receiving crew. I took the time to list most of the more well known receivers/receiving backs that Farve was privelaged to play with from 97-97 for you.

Ed West

Edgar Bennett

Sterling Sharpe

Robert Brooks

Dorsey Levens

Mark Chmura

Mark Ingram

Anthony Morgan

Don Beebe

Antonio Freeman

Keith Jackson

Desmond Howard

Andre Rison

William Henderon

Farve didnt exactly have a bad receiving crew. I took the time to list most of the more well known receivers/receiving backs that Farve was privelaged to play with from 97-97 for you.

Ed West

Edgar Bennett

Sterling Sharpe

Robert Brooks

Dorsey Levens

Mark Chmura

Mark Ingram

Anthony Morgan

Don Beebe

Antonio Freeman

Keith Jackson

Desmond Howard

Andre Rison

William Henderon

Would you say any of those guys were better than Emmit Smith, Michael irving and Jay novacek its not that those guys were terrible just nothing really good

How can anyone hate Brett Favre?

He is "everyman" to the NFL. He made the most of what he has (including a flawed throwing style), showed how tough he was setting a record for playing time (among others), admitted addiction to pain killers (without being exposed by someone else) and overcame it, and through all the great seasons and winning the Super Bowl is one of the most humble of stars.

What the hell more do you want?

Respect him for being the guy that he is, in spite of his accomplishments: a country guy who loves his family and doing the simple things in life (like fishing).

Why does he have to hang up his spurs if he still wants to play and is better than a lot of starting QBs? I don't care if he wins or loses, I'm not his greatest fan, but I respect him and wish more of the primadonnas in the league were like him.

Give him a break!

I greatly respect Favre as a man - how can you not love a guy who goes hunting and fishing in his off-time, instead of carrying guns into night clubs? And his intensity and love of the game are second to none - most of us lose that "love of the game" as we get older, and it becomes all business, but Favre still has a lot of boy left in him. In spite of that (and maybe in part because of these things?), Favre never rose to the "best of the best" level, but he was certainly above average, and a whole lotta fun to watch.

And, to throw my two cents in, I agree he was better than Aikman, who I never thought of as anything but an average QB with a great supporting cast. Favre never had that level of a supporting cast, but I believe that it would be close if he were to come back with the Vikings (better D, at least as good of a running game, maybe a notch down on the skill receivers).

That Aikman had all that great talent and cashed in with SB victories is what makes him great and a top 10 QB.

Many QBs get to play with great players and they still never win a SB, plus they have a great defense.

Aikman probably had one of the best defensive teams to play with also, but that doesn't diminish his status.

I love the fact that Favre might go to the Vikings! How can anyone who loves football NOT love this??!! I will even go as far to say that I will be pulling for him to make the SB for the NFC. Great for football...great for fans!! Is anyone here going to honestly tell me that they won't be glued to that TV when the Vikings visit Lambeau!!! Bring It On!!!

True. not only that, its hard to compare players who played in different era's. The game has changed, the season is longer and the players are bigger, stronger and faster now. So its not really fair to compare the two. I think wins and championships are a good way to compare the greats.

True it is hard, I'm going with Montana all the way. No QB was more relaxed and confident on the field. JMO

That is exactly why I say Elway, Young, Montana, Unitas, Graham, Manning are better than Favre. I think hes great. Defenately top 10 if not top 5, and can be in the same discussion as the greatest ever. I just dont think he is. But thats my opinion. I respect anyone else for theirs, I expect people to respect mine. I just get annoyed with people saying that one person is the best ever, end of subject, move on posts.

You douchebag don't you know one person is the best ever, end of subject, move on. :lol:

Bret Favre is a lower top ten qb all time but still the most overrated player all time in any sport. The value he has comes from two places one his ability to stay on the field and with Trent we know how valuable that is. Second he was genuinely a great qb from 1994 to 1997 and 2001 - 2002 as well as 2004 and 2007. His prime years and that record are what catapult him into that top ten status.

But Favre is one guy who should not be near the top five. Since 2002 he has been overrated he was a good qb who faded into an average one and the one last good year he had in 2007 ( his last year with green bay ) was the year his team asked him to manage the game. Favre was loved by the media and for good reason up until these last few years where his dickish nature was revealed he seemed like a really nice guy.

But that love was what made him overrated towards the end of his career he started to fade and balls that he would have jammed in for a TD were now being intercepted but the media would write it off saying it was the receiver's fault or that he was just trying to make things happen and it didn't pan out. He should have retired in 2004 or 2007 off of good years

As for all those records for TD's and yards he had those because he hung around three to four years too many. That year the Packers went 4-12 and he threw 30 picks he was just sad and than the next year when the Packers went 8-8 he looked like a second year qb who was just average.

Once again not saying bret is not a great qb but there are about nine or eight qb's that I would take before him thats all. I don't want a guy who has never at any point in a game never come back from a 14 point hole ever in his career.

What he said. <_<

I just want to add a piece that's gonna piss off the Favre haters, so be it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWbNgIc2TVM...feature=related

That was posted November 2nd, 2007 before his dickful antics started.

playing in the NFL isnt a right, its a privelage. I am not so sure many teams want to grant him the privelages of playing. If no one has noticed, he is pretty washed up and too much of a risk IMO.

IMO, he will have a great first part of the season and around week 9 he'll impode.

And i get tired of people saying farve is sh-- when that's just ignorant..who are you to say he's ruining his legacy (and you didn't im saying just people in general) why do you/anyone even think he cares what you think of him..he can play as long as he wants ..another 10 years if he so choosed to it doesn't change the fact he's one of the greatest qbs to ever play !@#$ legacy

He's ruining his legacy in GB. JMO

favre is the Paul McCartney of football.

Not in my opinion. McCartney wouldn't get the people of England to hate him even if he molested a child in front of Buckingham Palace. JMO

Aikman had the best OL of his era. If Barry Sanders had run behind that OL he would have the best stats of any RB ever. JMO

How can anyone hate Brett Favre?

He is "everyman" to the NFL. He made the most of what he has (including a flawed throwing style), showed how tough he was setting a record for playing time (among others), admitted addiction to pain killers (without being exposed by someone else) and overcame it, and through all the great seasons and winning the Super Bowl is one of the most humble of stars.

What the hell more do you want?

Respect him for being the guy that he is, in spite of his accomplishments: a country guy who loves his family and doing the simple things in life (like fishing).

Why does he have to hang up his spurs if he still wants to play and is better than a lot of starting QBs? I don't care if he wins or loses, I'm not his greatest fan, but I respect him and wish more of the primadonnas in the league were like him.

Give him a break!

He's an egomaniac who thought the Packers should've bowed and scraped to him when he decided way to late to come back with the Packers. JMO

I love the fact that Favre might go to the Vikings! How can anyone who loves football NOT love this??!! I will even go as far to say that I will be pulling for him to make the SB for the NFC. Great for football...great for fans!! Is anyone here going to honestly tell me that they won't be glued to that TV when the Vikings visit Lambeau!!! Bring It On!!!

Oh, it'll be a fantastic game but a lot of people will be rooting against Favre. It'll be interesting to see how he's received in GB when he goes back.

From Rotoworld;

Report: Favre has significant tear in biceps

Favre

Citing sources close to free agent Brett Favre, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Favre signing with Minnesota is far from a done deal due to a "significant tear" in his right biceps tendon.

That Aikman had all that great talent and cashed in with SB victories is what makes him great and a top 10 QB.

Many QBs get to play with great players and they still never win a SB, plus they have a great defense.

Aikman probably had one of the best defensive teams to play with also, but that doesn't diminish his status.

Yeah Aikman cashed in thats why he is a top 20 qb all time. If you put Aikman on the early 1990's Dolphins he might have a few good years and a few playoff appearances but no where near the numbers Marino had and no where near the constancy and playoff victories and deep runs Marino had. It does take talent to take a great team all the way three times but it doesn't take top ten all time talent to do so.

And name a qb who had talent around him on offense AND a great defense and didn't win a super bowl. Even Kelly didn't have all that.

Would you say any of those guys were better than Emmit Smith, Michael irving and Jay novacek its not that those guys were terrible just nothing really good

I would say that at the height of Farves MVP runs Antonio Freeman was as good or better than Irvin was. Career wise, absolutely not. But for a few years he was one of the best WR's in the NFL. And I would think that Bubba Franks and Mark Chmura were just as good if not better then Jay Novechek. Emmit Smith is the difference maker IMO. But overall I think Farve had better receivers in his career than Aikman did.

#1) Idk why this stuff gets posted on here because who cares

2) IMO he's the best QB ever so i don't get the hate unless everyone is jelious that he did something the almighty kelly could not..win a SB :P

Can't wait to see the replies

Brett Favre is an old goat ruining his legacy. He's not even close to the best QB ever. He has a rocket arm, and everyone loves the way he played, and his attitude. His retirement has tarnished his legacy. I loved Brett Favre until the non-stop ESPN Favre retirement drama. Favre is now a drama queen. He's losing his dignity with this drama.

You're not a true Bills fan for saying what you said about Jim Kelly. Real Bills fans keep those type of thoughts to themselves. And, your avatar needs work. What is that? Is that BB king signing a baseball bat? What the sh^t is that? That guy looks like a pregnant man with that gut. Is that you?

I would say that at the height of Farves MVP runs Antonio Freeman was as good or better than Irvin was. Career wise, absolutely not. But for a few years he was one of the best WR's in the NFL. And I would think that Bubba Franks and Mark Chmura were just as good if not better then Jay Novechek. Emmit Smith is the difference maker IMO. But overall I think Farve had better receivers in his career than Aikman did.

No freeman was an above average receiver with one great and one very good year but that was a product of the qb maximizing his skill set and the situation he was in. Irving had over six 1000 yard seasons in a row. He also had two more one thousand yard season toward the end of his carer. Chmura had two good seasons and Bubba Franks had only one season where he caught more than 400 yards he was just a really good blocking tightend.

So for two years Farve had a good wide out and a good tight end but Aikman had all those weapons throughout his carer. Farve never had the level of talent Aikman did.

His last few years in Green Bay, he jerked them around by waffling on whether he was going to play another season or not. They are sitting there, not knowing whther they should gear their offensive scheme, and personnel, around an aging veteran star, or a potentially talented kid.

Last year, the Pack had enough said Buh - Bye, plugged in the kid, and moved on.

Now the will he or wont he show in on again. ESPN is on the verge of becoming the Brett Favre Network once again.

Media types are camping out updating us on the wherabouts of the Vikings coach, Favre's daughter. Too freakin much info.

Now, today Brett says he's still retired. FOR NOW. Which probably means he's retired until the Vikes get all of those pesky mandatory OTA's taken care of.

Wake me up in September.

Yeah Aikman cashed in thats why he is a top 20 qb all time. If you put Aikman on the early 1990's Dolphins he might have a few good years and a few playoff appearances but no where near the numbers Marino had and no where near the constancy and playoff victories and deep runs Marino had. It does take talent to take a great team all the way three times but it doesn't take top ten all time talent to do so.

And name a qb who had talent around him on offense AND a great defense and didn't win a super bowl. Even Kelly didn't have all that.

I'm sorry but Kelly did have a great defense and he had all the studs on offense too. Although, I do consider that Kelly won a SB (because the kicker missed the kick and to me that's a win).

The Bills had the top run defense in the AFC those years (or they were in the top five) and most of the time, the teams with the top rush defenses in their conferences make the SB.