If TO helps take us to the next level, why only 1 year?

I think that the T.O. presence can be good long term, if he understands / respects Buffalo and this team. All I hear is one year and then he is gone but I think he is our savior. If he plays to a similiar level of the past 3, he is irreplaceable.

I'd plan on a 1 year interview with a long term job offer from the Bills, yeah he'll be that important.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the T.O. presence can be good long term, if he understands / respects Buffalo and this team. All I hear is one year and then he is gone but I think he is our savior. If he plays to a similiar level of the past 3, he is irreplaceable.

I'd plan on a 1 year interview with a long term job offer from the Bills, yeah he'll be that important.

No way, T.O.'s luster tarnishes in one way or another in the second year. Leopards don't change their spots. Counting on T.O. to walk on water as it were is a bit dreamy to say the least.

To serve as a bridge to Hardy and Johnson.

Also to incentivize performing at as high a level as possible for that one year.

if they have a really successful year, they might try to offer him a short term deal, he is on the down side of his career and may be tired of all the moving around, and be willing to bite the bullet, shut his mouth, and finally win a championship!

No way, T.O.'s luster tarnishes in one way or another in the second year. Leopards don't change their spots. Counting on T.O. to walk on water as it were is a bit dreamy to say the least.

He's had the best past 3 years stats of any WR and he will be treated like a god in Buffalo if the Bills do well. He always wanted his ego fed and with the locals starving for success, any lean that way will put him on a pedestal. I really couldn't think of a better place for him and hopefully he'll feel that way as well.

Go TO

...if he understands / respects Buffalo and this team.

That's a pretty big if, don't you think? What makes you think anything will change?

Unless he wins his first SB this season with the Buffalo Bills, yeah, he'll be that gone after one season.

That's a pretty big if, don't you think? What makes you think anything will change?

TO's names carries more weight / attention than just about every other player in the league, what better team to will to victories after 9 years of embarrassments. How many times did you see ESPN break down why a team has gotten better?? TO's name would be in lights 24 / 7 in Buffalo and nationwide ESPN, that wasn't going to happen in Dallas with Jerry Jones / Romo - Jessica and other Misc crap. TO's ego is bigger than NY, ravenous winning Bills can fill it.

the one year deal is ideal for both parties...

from the bills perspective....short term - it's high risk - high reward for one year.....long term - i think jauron is on thin ice and if this blows up, the next coach is in better position to move forward without T.O.

from T.O.'s perspective....short term -the bills offer was probably the ONLY real offer. long-term - if i'm T.O. and the bills miss the playoffs, then i probably would rather finish out my hall of fame career with a team that has a legit shot at the super bowl.

personally, i think T.O. will be a smashing success with buffalo....having two legit "#1" wide receivers is gonna leave one with "one on one" coverage.

If we make the playoffs this year I see us offering him a 2 year deal.

If we make the playoffs this year it'll be because TO played MAJOR role. If he agrees to a 2 year deal, as history would confirm, I envision TO's contributions falling off tremendously.

Hopefully by that point we'd be reaping the collateral benefits of having our second year guys Hardy and Johnson at TO's tutelage.

TO has to be a temporary player. His signing made the Bills one of the most (if not the most) looked at team during the off-season getting the team a lot of attention and will be a force to reckon with as a player. However, TO is TO and it's not a question of IF he becomes a problem, but when.

This draft really seems to be a draft that should build the Bills into a strong team, but in a year or two. I see our draft similar to the Jet's 2006 one where they got Manigold and Ferguson. It didn't pay off right away, but now those players are considered solid. I think TO will help the team, while our younger players learn to play in the NFL.

from the bills perspective....short term - it's high risk - high reward for one year.....l

Disagree. I think it's low risk, high reward. $6M for a chance to make the playoffs? Plus the signing brought in a lot of season ticket renewals/subscriptions, so the $6M is pretty much peanuts. No risk for Buffalo, big potential upside.

Disagree. I think it's low risk, high reward. $6M for a chance to make the playoffs? Plus the signing brought in a lot of season ticket renewals/subscriptions, so the $6M is pretty much peanuts. No risk for Buffalo, big potential upside.

Agreed 100%.

Relatively low risk.

Potentially unlimited reward.

TO's names carries more weight / attention than just about every other player in the league, what better team to will to victories after 9 years of embarrassments. How many times did you see ESPN break down why a team has gotten better?? TO's name would be in lights 24 / 7 in Buffalo and nationwide ESPN, that wasn't going to happen in Dallas with Jerry Jones / Romo - Jessica and other Misc crap. TO's ego is bigger than NY, ravenous winning Bills can fill it.

Yeah, it's not like Buffalo has it's own set of melodramatic problems that would grab the attention of the national media. Stuff like:

- a weak WNY economy

- a 90+ year old owner that could (unfortunately) pass away bringing into question the franchise's ability to stay in WNY

- 4 straight SB losses

- this thing called "Toronto"

Elephant in the room??? = TO can have a bad attitude at times? :unsure:

Signing a one year deal auto-removes TO from the team with the minimum possible amount of drama. I.E. if he acts up and we don't renew his contract, it's over. There is no "big decision" that can be embarrassing to the team(see: Dallas, Philly). You just let the contract run out. You simply did what you said you would(bring in TO for a year) nothing more or less. It's not like trying to decide whether to keep him on the team for year 2 or 3, but then wasting roster bonus money, etc., when he forces you to throw him off the team, etc.

Let's not forget 20 teams said "no way". That's rare, because teams usually keep their options open, however crazy or wrong. One year will not change that # much, because in addition to the nonsense, TO will be a year older.

The most obviously dumb post of the past month deserves a simple and even more obvious response. :unsure:

Owens is using this year as his "good behavior" year to earn a contract with a championship contender next year. Owens despite whatever he may say or do on the field this year has no long-term interest of being a member of the Bills. Sorry! That's a fact.

Owens is only interested in himself, his stats and in playing for a major media market that fawns all over him.

It is for this reason and many other obvious reasons Owens is only on a one year contract.

Owens can't be good long-term because his behavior won't allow it. He won't understand and respect Buffalo as a team because he has proven three (3) times in San Francisco, Philadelphia, and in Dallas that his only concerns are calling his quarterback gay in San Francisco, throwing his quarterback under the bus in Philadelphia, and popping pills and throwing a temper tantrum that his quarterback in Dallas doesn't throw him the ball enough when he drops too many passes any way.

Of course, Buffalo will be better this year on offense because of Owens unique skill-set and playmaking ability. But Owens is just a hired gun for a year while Buffalo finds out if Hardy or Johnson can become a #2 receiver. If they can, then great for Buffalo. If they can't, Owens will leave Buffalo and a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a receiver in the 2010 draft.

Owens will be nothing more than a talented receiver who is putting in time for free agency next year.

The only "Savior" role Owens will play is he will make Buffalo a relevant football team for the media circus. He will help sell extra tickets and a lot of jerseys because his is an exciting/controversial topic. (Think Alex Rodriguez, Dennis Rodman, Mike Tyson, etc.)

Otherwise, let's leave the Savior role to the actual Savior found in the New Testament.

Ralph Wilson will be happy and Buffalo fans will be treated to a more exciting team that will finish no better than 8-8 barring some major injury to a key player on one of Buffalo's AFC East opponents.

This is why Owens is and only will be on a one-year sabbatical with Buffalo.

Nothing else can be added or refuted to this conversation. Close the topic!

--Nightcrawler