Moving to Buffalo (maybe)

30dive

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here we go, my wife is interviewing for a Prof.. job at the University of Buffalo and things are looking pretty good, seems she would be at the Amherst Campus.  Question where should we look to live?  I grew up in Webster (Rochester) and would like to find a smaller village type community, i.e. like "old" Webster, Fairport, Hilton...I think you get the idea...We need good schools as we have two grade schoolers.  Ideas?

102343[/snapback]

Williamsville is nice. Clarence a little farther out and a little less crowded. There are some nice neighborhoods in Lancaster, where I used to live.

Ummm Corn Festival?

103012[/snapback]

I love the Eden Corn Fest. Haven't been to it in years since I'm out of town but I loved going to it when I was there. There Beer Barn next to the softball field is classic!!

I'll vote East Aurora on this one.

You can buy a small house in the Village for $140k, or a nice house a few miles out of town for $200-$300. Decent schools, not too far from Buffalo but your commute will probably be around 45 minutes in the winter.

Yes - You might drive through EA on your way to the bills game from Virginia if you come in from the corning area and take 20a into the Ralph. Wings at the Bar Bill are great.

Just my two cents, but there are nice enough areas north of the city, I would not buy in the southern burbs as nice as East Aurora is. I'm not real familiar, with the area, but on a couple occasions, I've had to drive up past UB on the way to Lockport, and just minutes north of UB are some residential areas that seem quiet and pleasant. I would start close, and if I can't find something there, work my way out from UB.

Grand Island.  North of the snow belt and good schools.

102479[/snapback]

I hear prices are good in an area called the Love Canal. :D

Don't you have to pay a toll everytime you cross the bridge onto the island?

I might suggest an urban 6 month lease so you can check out various areas before commiting to a house.

I'd say OP (my hometown), but that's a bit of a drive to UB. East Aurora is too. Go with Williamsville or Clarence. Or (gasp) take a look at Buffalo and some of the nice neighborhoods and houses there. There are some amazing victorians that would rival anything here in San Francisco and they are priced right too. There are many good choices in the area. Good luck.

-------------------

Go Bills

I'll vote East Aurora on this one.

You can buy a small house in the Village for $140k, or a nice house a few miles out of town for $200-$300. Decent schools, not too far from Buffalo but your commute will probably be around 45 minutes in the winter.

Yes - You might drive through EA on your way to the bills game from Virginia if you come in from the corning area and take 20a into the Ralph. Wings at the Bar Bill are great.

103107[/snapback]

I guess you can on 20A. Sorry, did not think about it. I prefer taking US 15 to I-80, to some smaller roads to 240.

Bar Bill....Yep thats it! Checkmate, we run (make that ran) through EA from the Ralph over to 390 and then south....45 mins to Amherst in the winter, could be tough, but proximity to the Ralph!!!

I lived in EA and worked in the City. a half hour at best. The 400 is always plowed. Lived there all my life Two hours what by crawling!