Moving to Buffalo (maybe)

30dive

So here we go, my wife is interviewing for a Prof.. job at the University of Buffalo and things are looking pretty good, seems she would be at the Amherst Campus. Question where should we look to live? I grew up in Webster (Rochester) and would like to find a smaller village type community, i.e. like "old" Webster, Fairport, Hilton...I think you get the idea...We need good schools as we have two grade schoolers. Ideas?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So here we go, my wife is interviewing for a Prof.. job at the University of Buffalo and things are looking pretty good, seems she would be at the Amherst Campus.  Question where should we look to live?  I grew up in Webster (Rochester) and would like to find a smaller village type community, i.e. like "old" Webster, Fairport, Hilton...I think you get the idea...We need good schools as we have two grade schoolers.  Ideas?

102343[/snapback]

The way Buffalo is shrinking, it will be a "small village" in about 10 years.

So here we go, my wife is interviewing for a Prof.. job at the University of Buffalo and things are looking pretty good, seems she would be at the Amherst Campus.  Question where should we look to live?  I grew up in Webster (Rochester) and would like to find a smaller village type community, i.e. like "old" Webster, Fairport, Hilton...I think you get the idea...We need good schools as we have two grade schoolers.  Ideas?

102343[/snapback]

Lewiston. I grew up in the Town of Lewiston but spent a lot of time in the village. It's quiet and when you come down the escarpment is beatiful. I would check it out at least. I think it's the nicest spot in WNY and I've lived all over. Either the Village or town there both nice. Good Luck

Check out East Aurora just outside of Orchard Park.

102347[/snapback]

I love East Aurora...I think...It think its the town we go through when we have driven to the Ralph from VA. Really cool bar with great wings in the village circle...Do I have the right town?

Pretty far from Amherst...eh?

I love East Aurora...I think...It think its the town we go through when we have driven to the Ralph from VA.  Really cool bar with great wings in the village circle...Do I have the right town?

102357[/snapback]

I live in the Town of Getzville, about 5 minutes from the University. Beautiful area, but a bit expensve. Lots of homes for sale in the $225 range. I would recommend that you look at homes in the Village of Williamsville. Its only about 10 Minutes from the universiity, but very quaint with beautiful older homes in spots.

Good Luck, its great to hear there will be some people MOVING IN!!!

If you are looking for something a bit lower in price ($105-140 or so) you may want to consider looking in the village of Kenmore as well. Only about 10-15 minutes from the University. Beautiful tree lined neighborhoods.

102343[/snapback]

I don't know why some are recommending localities that would be a lengthy commute.

Buying or renting? If the former, a reputable agent should provide you with info regarding property tax, school tax (if that's seperate in NYS), local assessments past and future (maybe - they want to sell, after all) and possibly crime rates (check with the local cops on that one). Find about water and sewage rates, any refuse charges, bond issues that need to be serviced, insurability (are you in a flood plain, or far away from a hydrant? etc.), community covenants. Since you have kids, look for a community that strongly restricts or bans dangerous dog breeds.

If you rent, look for a condo community that has some rental units. That - normally - takes care of the rottweilers and the trashy neighbor factors. The restrictive covenants keep them out.

It really depends more on what you are looking for (based on the suggestions you have gotten which vary in my mind to plces I would think meet you request for a village feel (East Aurora) to places which obviously some took as meeting your request but striking me as fairly standard suburbia (most of Kenmore if you travel a block away from your home which may be on a tree lined street to the sterile mini-malls on major streets to some of the more rural areas which are not very village like if you like people. In particular, the suggestion of Clarence as a village runs against my experience as this area used to be rather village like but is today the warzone between the old days when it was a community and the new days where it is one of go-go areas for development and any vilage feel has been lost.

A lot depends on where you are coming from and how much of a commute you want to do. WNY has what I call the rush 15 minutes compared to the rush hour of other metroplises. A drive of an hpour which would be considered par for the course in many towns and actually be a short commute compared to the 2 hour drives one way folks do on a daily basis in DC, NYC or the Bay Area in CA would actually easily allow you to teach at UB and live in Rochester.

I know a lot of cool folks in East Aurora so I'm probably biased. One can do a better job of pretending to have a village feel there than you can in most of the subutbs to the north and west of Buffalo. Thiis area.s village feel is under assault as well from Tops Friendly Markets, Benderson and a plethora of gas stations. However. the community got together a few years back and kept out a Wal-Mart which would have brought soccer-Moms driving SUVs from Orchard Park, Hamburg and other places and further destroyed the village feel. I'd vote East Aurora from your description.

if you live in east aurora, shell have a commute of at least 45min-1hour in the summer, in the winter traveling on route 400 forget about it, there's 2 hours

and before anyone jumps on me, i used to live downtown and work out in east aurora and those are the drive times, not bad for a big city but UNACCEPTABLE for buffalo.

i recommend West Seneca

not too city, not too suburbs, depending what part youre in

great schools

and your kids wont end up all uppity like they would in amherst or orchard park

its a lot like lewiston but is WAY closer to the city

West Seneca Rules! and im not even from there

I love East Aurora...I think...It think its the town we go through when we have driven to the Ralph from VA.  Really cool bar with great wings in the village circle...Do I have the right town?

102357[/snapback]

i live with my parents in east aurora. about 5 minutes from the village. But we pay elma taxes whichh are alot cheaper. east aurora is very nice. and di think you are talking about the Bar Bil!

in fact my parents are planning on selling it very soon.

300,000 if your interested.

if you live in east aurora, shell have a commute of at least 45min-1hour in the summer,  in the winter traveling on route 400 forget about it, there's 2 hours

and before anyone jumps on me, i used to live downtown and work out in east aurora and those are the drive times, not bad for a big city but UNACCEPTABLE for buffalo.

i recommend West Seneca

not too city, not too suburbs, depending what part youre in

great schools

and your kids wont end up all uppity like they would in amherst or orchard park

its a lot like lewiston but is WAY closer to the city

West Seneca Rules! and im not even from there

102440[/snapback]

not true , i commute evry day to UB and it takes me 25-30 minutes.